Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Advice on combined pill/POP pill  (Read 4351 times)

robotwars

Advice on combined pill/POP pill
« on: November 18, 2014, 04:18:31 PM »

Hi!
I just wondered if anyone had any guidance on what I should do? My doctor put me on the mini pill (cerazette) to control heavy periods, this hasn't helped so I went back to my GP who has now prescribed the combined pill (Loestrin).
I have been advised to finish the pack I'm on of cerazette then start on the Loestrin. I still have 9 days left of cerazette but I have now been bleeding for 18 days, it just isn't stopping, my hubby things I should just stop the cerazette and start the new pills to see if it helps. I'm not sure what to do! Part of me thinks just stop all pills as I'm getting no where fast!!! before this I had prempak and re-acted badly.
I am concerned about taking the combined pill as when I took it 30 years ago I suffered badly from migranes, I spoke to my GP about this and she said they have changed a lot over the years.
Has anyone else had experiences like this? Wondering if I'm better just stopping everything and seeing what happens. As I'm so fed up with side effects.................Any advice greatly received, so confused and don't know where to go for advice from the medical profession, LOL - Don't seem to get anywhere at the doctors surgery....

Hurdity

Re: Advice on combined pill/POP pill
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 05:04:30 PM »

Hi robotwars - I'm sorry I can't remember where you are in menopause re periods/frequency and how old you are? Because of this I can't remember why you are being put on the combined contraceptive pill? Is it because of the bleeding?

If you are wanting HRT because of menopausal symptoms, though this is probably not the best solution - it is not the same as HRT. The oestrogen in the pill is synthetic, as is the progestogen (which it also usually is in HRT).

Apart from this the main reason for not taking the pill during peri-menopause is because there is a pill-free month and therefore both progestogen and oestrogen levels will fall and you are likely to experience more extreme mood swings than on HRT, even if the bleeding is better controlled. Also you take the progestogen (norethisterone) for the whole 3 weeks.

In peri-menopause although the oestrogen levels are fluctuating - as you get further into it the overall level will drop - and HRT gives you a constant level of oestrogen which can be supplemented by your own while you still have some....

The difficulty with most HRT is that it is either cyclical - with 12-14 days progestogen or continuous combined (for post-meno women). Only by taking oestrogen separately from progestogen do you have the flexibility of (temporarily) increasing the progestogen due to heavy bleeding. If you look here there are progestogens that can be taken separately from oestrogen http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/to_progestogens.php but sounds like your doc isn't switched on to the varieties and combinations of HRT that exist?

Did you doc suggest any other options to control the bleeding? I seem to remember we have discussed this before and the options listed on here are: http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/periodtreatments.php. I am sure I suggested the Mirena coil - which seems to be used successfully by many women and then extra oestrogen can be used to control flushes and sweats.

Sorry to put a spanner in the works but I don't think you have been given the best advice if you have other menopausal symptoms in addition to the bleeding and your periods have become erratic. However it might just work for you!!

Hurdity x

robotwars

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 05:10:47 PM »

I'm nearly 50, I have hot flushes but they are manageable at the moment, my biggest problem is the periods, for over a year I have been coming on every 10 days or so and flooding and making me anaemic, my GP eventually recommended Prempak, which I had terrible side effects for, I went back and was told to try the mini pill, if I was ok with this then I could move on to the mirena coil, but I don't stop bleeding, so I went back to my GP who now says to try the combined pill, feel like I'm getting nowhere fast...... every time I make an appointment at the GP I cant get in for 4 weeks, its just dragging on for months! I have now been sent away again with 3 months supply of the combined pill...... Aaghhhh......

robotwars

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 05:06:06 PM »

Hi!
I have swapped to the combined pill, thought I should at least try, just a quick question. I'm still bleeding how long do you think I should give it as I have been bleeding for weeks now, I'm on day 8 of the combined pill and still bleeding.... will it ever stop? Seems so silly to be on the combined pill when I don't need it for contraception!! LOL ;)

Scampi

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2014, 10:20:28 AM »

I think you need to go back to docs, and maybe see a different doctor.

I went to see my GP on Tuesday following a month of erratic and heavy bleeding - this was a first for me, so I felt I'd better check it was perimenopause related and not something else.  Basically, I had a period as normal (5 days of heavy flow with clots and pain - normal for me), it stopped then I came on again 13 days later and bled (again heavily with clots, but no pain) for 9 days.  It then stopped for 4 days, and when the 3rd bout of heavy, clotty bleeding had been going on for 4 days with no sign of abating I went to see the doc.  She agreed it needed sorting, examined me (yuck!!), booked me in for bloods and an ultrasound to make certain it's my age and nothing more, and gave me norethisterone 3 times a day for 2 weeks to stop the bleeding in the meantime.  I've been taking the tablets since Tuesday lunchtime and the bleeding has almost stopped.

There are several drugs available that should stop the bleeding, at least temporarily - I can't understand why your doctor hasn't given you one of these.

dahliagirl

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2014, 02:07:32 PM »

I think you need to see a different doctor.

I was on the combined pill for many years and was taken off it at 49 because they now do not prescribe it to people who have ever had migraine with aura.

Also, it is only licensed up to age 50.  Normally after this age, you would use a progestogen only pill or something like mirena for contraception.

There are other ways to deal with heavy bleeding.

robotwars

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2014, 08:34:19 PM »

Thanks for your replies. I have tried to get a doctors appointment today and the best they can do is the 21st Dec........ and that's with the locum......
Wondering about seeing if I can get a phone call with the nurse
Why is it so hard to see a Doctor now days....................