Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: New Member  (Read 4978 times)

middlekid

« on: November 13, 2014, 02:37:14 PM »

Hello everyone

I'm 52 years old and I never thought I'd be posting on a menopause forum. I never thought I'd be this old. I never thought it would happen to me! I was going to sail through it, unaided. HRT is for wusses, right? That was before I was begging my GP for it, for the third time over the last six months.  Finally prescribed HRT after a lecture on all the dangers, and started taking Femoston 1/10 three days ago and silently praying that it will help the awful sweating, which is currently ruling my life, making me feel so wiped out, and more than anything making me feel so grubby and not clean all the time.  It started just at night, waking me up in a puddle/sauna, but now I get it during the day as well.  My whole body sweats, not just my chest and back.  My body seems to be falling apart (dry skin and scalp, constipation, aches and pains) - and so has my mind over the last year.  I had a major breakdown around 15 months ago which I am just coming out of the other side of, and wondering now how much of it was to do with my hormones suddenly dropping off a cliff ... I've been taking Quetiapine, which is a mood stabiliser, for the last 6 months, and this has helped with the overwhelming anxiety and the tearful outbursts, and also knocks me out at night like a sleeping pill (until the sweating wakes me up).  But I am wondering if all I need is actually HRT?  I can't wait for it to start working. My mum is convinced that menopause is all that's wrong with me, having been through a similar wobbly and sweaty time herself.  Did anyone else feel like they had gone bananas when going through this?  Why didn't anyone tell us how bad it would be?  I'm getting acne and white chin bristles simultaneously - what kind of cruel joke on a woman is this menopause lark anyway?  >:( I am single (don't want to be) and trying hard not to feel like life as I knew it is completely over, and wondering if any man will ever look at me 'in that way' again ...  :'(

Middlekid

honeybun

Re: New Member
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 02:51:56 PM »

:welcomemm:

Oh you sound as if you will fit right in  ;D

Not much fun this menopause lark is it.
Hopefully you will soon have your symptoms under control and feel much better. Getting a decent nights sleep is so important for feeling more in control of things.

It can take a good few weeks before you start to feel the benefit so don't get discouraged.

Honeyb
x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 02:55:24 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM middle kid
You are not alone - we're here to support you.  Femoston is a good HRT to start with as the progesterone in it is more gentle so is tolerated very well by many women.  I bet you feel better really soon.
We wish the GPs would stop lecturing us about the dangers and wake up to the benefits of HRT.  Good luck.   DG x

Joyce

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 03:31:41 PM »

Hi there middlekid & welcome.

The things they never warned us about!   As for GP lectures, don't get me started. Yes we all know the dangers, but at least allow us to make an informed choice. Quality of life is by far the most important. Sorry off my soap box now.  :)

middlekid

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 04:24:11 PM »

Thanks all, it's nice to know I'm not alone in this - I seem to have beaten all my lucky friends to it :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2014, 04:36:35 PM »

:welcomemm:  browse round, read the menus - left of screen - we have a funny room for light humour, we even talk about menopause  ::) ……..

HRT is what is says on the tin - 'replacement therapy'.  Hopefully what your GP has prescribed will suit you, I too wish that GPs would point out the benefits along side the potential 'dangers'  ::) ……. but in 10 min appt.'s?  :-\ ……..

Let us know how you get on!

TropicalVon69

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2014, 09:33:42 AM »

Hi..yes middlekid, I often have felt like I'm going bananas..weird thoughts, fuzzy head and generally feel like I am walking around in a dream sometimes...oh and anxiety.... and dark depression that I had after taking citalopram...not much fun eh!!!...however

TropicalVon69

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2014, 09:38:11 AM »

Lol pressed wrong button...however, I am feeling a bit better and may try the pill as Gp will not entertain HRT for peri...I know, why didnt our mothers or anyone tell us about this hellish time......you have my understanding and  :bighug:

Millykin

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2014, 10:17:46 AM »

Tropicalvon69
I might have missed some of your posts, why won't your GP let you have HRT? I would have thought it was important for your bones.
Middle kid
I'm on femoston 1/10 I'm 44 been on it for 7 months it's my second attempt. I can honestly say it's been good for me I was a bit like you but have been great past few months. Don't get me wrong I have had a few blips and no periods for 4 months but that's ok. Having an off day today though bit of health anxiety.
X

Galadriel

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2014, 11:00:28 AM »

:welcomemm: middlekid

You are not alone in thinking you'd gone bananas. I was in such a dark place this time last year. I didn't think it was menopause, I thought I was dying and loosing my grip on reality at the same time. It took months of weekly meetings with a psychologist to help bring me to a place where I can cope. There are days when I think I'm heading down the slippery slope again - but they pass.

Like you, I wish I'd been told what to expect - that sweats and flushes were not the only symptoms of perimenopause. All I can say is I'm so thankful I found this site and joined. Everyone is so supportive and understanding.

Give the HRT time to bed in and in the meantime, take good loving care of yourself :hug:

Galadriel x

Hurdity

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2014, 11:46:41 AM »

Hi middlekid

:welcomemm:

Hurdity  x

Kathleen

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2014, 04:37:53 PM »

Hello middlekid and welcome to the forum.

I know what you mean about HRT being for wussies. I am 58 now but I remember when I was 49 I was talking to my doctor about something routine and he asked me if I'd had any flushes or night sweats. I told him I hadn't had anything of the sort and maybe it wouldn't happen to me (I know, how naive can you be, no wonder he gave me a funny look). He went on to say that many women struggle and ask for HRT and to my eternal shame I thought huh, how wimpish are they. That GP is retired now and I later found out that his wife had a terrible menopause and they spent a long time trying to get her HRT right so he knew what he was talking about.   

Needless to say I now use HRT and although not perfect things are much better than they were. There is nothing like experience to teach you a life's lesson!

Take care and keep posting.

K.

TropicalVon69

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2014, 10:00:40 AM »

Hi Millykin, my doc will not entertain Hrt as my blood results in June came back normal, she has, however offered the pill which I may try ...hope you are good today XXX