Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dilema with our poorly cat  (Read 8161 times)

valiantkate

Dilema with our poorly cat
« on: November 08, 2014, 08:39:00 AM »

Hi there, sorrry not been around for  a while- soring out my rhematoid arthritis stuff. Anyway I have a big choice to make about our lovely cat. Hes had a slighgtly swollen lip for a week or two, I thought it as nothing really but it didnt go away so took him to the vet last night. He suspects he has a tumour and has given me two options: 1. to do a biopsy which will take 2 weeks to get the resuslts back and then to see if hfe needs further surgery or 2. to have the part of his lip removed with surrounding tisue- which  will cause him disfigurement ( although we will always think hes gorgeous). Option 2 is drastic but will mean just one anaesthetic and option 1 is more saoftly softly and if it isnt a tumour he will have to get used to living without part of his lip. I know you cant tell me what to do but was wondering if anyone has had similar experiences. I am so upset about 'our boy'- a real scruf bag but so loved by all of us. :'( :'(

littleminnie

Re: Dilema with our poorly cat
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 09:27:03 AM »

The poor thing. I love cats. If it was mine I think I would go for Option 1.
I would be very upset too. I love our cat to bits.

Millykin

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2014, 09:33:42 AM »

Oh what a shame, I just love my cat too! I would go for option one as well. Although it is a hard choice, I do feel for you having to decide what is best without causing him distress or more ops. How old is he? Let us know how it goes,
X

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2014, 10:23:09 AM »

I really feel for you Valiant but I'd definitely go for option one.

Taz x  :hug:

Tabbycat

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2014, 11:35:42 AM »

Hi Valiant, sorry to hear about your cat. I have two of my own, and one is quite poorly at the moment so I know how worrying it is.

How old is your boy? If he's not elderly then two anaesthetics won't be very risky - it will be the more expensive option, of course!

Personally, I've always gone for diagnosis unless it would put too much stress on the cat.

Also, option two sounds a bit drastic and will take quite a while to heal so unless it's really necessary, I wouldn't do it.

Millykin

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2014, 11:47:42 AM »

It's horrible when our pets need something done, you know it will help but can't face it, my boy got knocked down as a kitten at 10 months old need surgery inside ripped apart but he came through ok, then few years ago needed dental work age 11 I just couldn't bare it but had to be done, he was out of his face for few days, now I always watch him outside at back door my husband says I'm ruining his street cred! All the cats round here think he's there dad, and love him he keeps them in tow and the strange thing is if he sees them on road he runs after them to scare them, but lies up on decking when there relaxing there, we live in a one side street about 20 houses and 5 cats have been killed in road some idiots think it's a free run cause short road and field at end of it.
Anyway Valiant hope he's ok
X

babyjane

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2014, 03:08:08 PM »

Hope you little cat will be all right x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2014, 03:29:49 PM »

How old is he?   My gentle cat had a tumour under her chin which grew upwards into her mouth, at aged 17 there was only one option.  Watch and wait.  It was soon obvious that she was having pain on eating …… I would go for option 1, because you get a definitive diagnosis.  That way you can then decide on a treatment regime if necessary.  If you don't have a biopsy you won't know ……

Also, don't let the Vet talk you into continuous 'we can do this/that/try this/that' because they don't pay the bills and can play on the owners' feelings  :-\ …….if your Vet is caring she/he will advise - you can ask what they would do if it were there cat but remember that they don't pay the bills!

Let us know!  You will be asked if you want various blood tests done prior to GA and this is advisable in a pet over the age of 8, because it shows how well kidneys etc. are working.

libby1

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2014, 04:44:42 PM »

I'd go for option 1 too, no point in major surgery if it's unecessary  :cat88:

Libby
x

valiantkate

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2014, 11:21:19 AM »

Thasnks for the support and advice ladies. He did have cancer and is currently in surgery this morning. :'( We will all do our best for the little chap. I will let you know how it goes. xxxx

Millykin

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2014, 11:46:26 AM »

Aw thinking of your and your wee chap  :bighug:x

purplenanny

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2014, 12:09:12 PM »

Oh that's very sad Valiant. My thoughts are with you and your family during this awful time.
:hug:

Claireylou

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2014, 12:10:24 PM »

Thinking of you all Valiant  :hug:

ariadne

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2014, 12:59:52 PM »

Hoping your little cat will be OK  :hug:

Ariadne xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2014, 01:28:12 PM »

You are giving yourself breathing space. This surgery may help - it gives you time to say 'goodbye' and  :-*  make lots of fuss of him.  When my dog was diagnosed with a terminal illness I bought a video camera and decided what to do with her when the time arrived, then I got on with enjoying her - she didn't know she was ill  ;)

Tabbycat - any news about your little Puss ?
Pages: [1] 2