Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Oestrogel  (Read 5076 times)

mmbecks

Oestrogel
« on: November 01, 2014, 01:48:03 PM »

Hello - I am new to writing on a forum but am giving it a go!  I am menopausal and seeing a gynaecologist privately who has prescribed Oestrogel and Utrogestan - my main symptom is insomnia.  My estrogen is less than 18 and so I am taking 4 pumps of Oestrogel a day (2 in the morning and 2 in the evening).  I've only been taking it for 3 weeks and I am sleeping a bit better, but still not great.  Would it be possible to increase the dose to 5 pumps (perhaps the extra pump before bedtime)?  Is anybody else out there using more than 4 pumps?  What's the harm in taking an increased dose - I could always reduce the dose again if I get any nasty side effects.  I'd love to hear if any of you have any ideas?  thanks

Suzyq

Re: Oestrogel
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2014, 02:03:37 PM »

I know you're impatient but I would stick with your current regime. 3 weeks is not enough time to see the full effects! Like you, my estrogen was 18 when I started hrt and it took 3 months to get he full benefit! If you increase too quickly you may well get some pretty nasty side-effects and then it takes time to get the estrogen out of your system!

I would at least give it another 5 weeks and then speak to your consultant.

meno lesley

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2014, 02:38:28 PM »

Hi

I use estrogel, one pump at night and one in the morning alongaside utrogestan. I am awaiting some hormone blood tests to ascertain whether i need more estrogel. I agree with Suzyq that best to speak to consultant as i have tried many different hrts and it has always taken about 3 months to settle.

Lesley

Joyce

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2014, 04:33:24 PM »

Takes 2 to 3 months to kick in fully I'm afraid. Be patient then if it still isn't working speak to your consultant.

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2014, 04:56:12 PM »

Hi mmbecks

:welcomemm:

I agree with the others - depending on how long you've been menopausal, how far you are into it ( re periods, frequency etc) and how old you are - whatever happens it will take more than 3 weeks for your body to acclimatise to taking this extra oestrogen.

Oestrogen does not help you sleep as such, but works to reduce and hopefully eliminate the flushes and sweats and other negative symptoms eg aching joints, that might be stopping you from sleeping.

I would not increase the dose yet, if at all. As Suzyq says - the recommended time for settling in is 3 months. The only reason not to follow this is if the progestogen in the HRT is causing adverse side effects which happens with some women and with some of the synthetic progestogens.

Hopefully you are also doing all the usual things to help maximise the chance of a good night's sleep re nightime routines etc?

Hurdity x

mmbecks

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2014, 05:10:10 PM »

Many thanks everyone.  I have been taking Utrogestan 100g for about 5 months so that hasn't helped with not being able to sleep.  Does anybody know whether not being able to sleep is a side-effect of the progesterone or whether I need more progesterone?  I do seem to be a bit better with the oestrogel (I was taking 2mg Elleste Solo before) - so I will certainly hang on until I see the Consultant again which is in about 5 weeks.  I just feel this is all a bit of trial and error! 

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2014, 05:26:44 PM »

Are you taking the Utrogestan every night?

Although it is a sedative and it makes me more tired generally, it doesn't actually help me sleep. I use it vaginally and it makes me need to get up to pee in the night - but half the time I half wake up thinking I don't need to so end up tossing and turing until I actually do get up. Then once I've got up I still can't get back to sleep because I'm awake and my mind starts racing! I end up with quite vivid dreams when taking the utrogestan but I think that's due to the disturbed sleep caused by bladder!

You will only need more progesterone if insufficient is getting to your uterus to keep the lining thin. Your consultant should be keeping an eye on that.

Hurdity x

mmbecks

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2014, 05:37:38 PM »

I take the 100g Utrogestan every night (tablet) - it doesn't seem to help me sleep though.  I think increased anxiety at not being able to sleep is the worst - and then this brings on increased heat, heart palpitations and almost panic attack feelings. 
Thanks for coming back to me.  I've never used a forum like this before and I can see that it's a great help already!

karin

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2014, 07:19:03 PM »

I only used evorel conti patch progesterone but that gave me terrible insomnia which i believe progesterone can cause in susceptible people

Cassie

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2014, 08:05:13 PM »

I would not increase the Oestrogel 5 pumps is a lot! I only use 1 and a bit plunges of the pump, but have been on it for almost 10 years and it does build up in your system. When I initially had blood tests my Oestrogen was really low and then after being on Oestrogel for a year I had another test and it was up to 615 and that was only on 2 pumps a day...I have reduced it now to one and a bit and I think the problem is your Utrogestan... it gives me terrible insomnia...makes me feel wired up, I have mentioned this before...ectopic beats, feeling a bit shaky almost like an overdose of caffeine. Can you not try it vaginally and use it cyclically say for 12 days per month, instead of every day but then you would need to have an annual scan to see how your uterine lining is looking... I find, for the 12 days that I use it, I feel like a rabbit on steroids...not nice at all... >:(