Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Citalopram newbie advice needed  (Read 5202 times)

suey43

Citalopram newbie advice needed
« on: October 08, 2014, 08:33:52 AM »

Just taken my 2nd Citalopram for anxiety and depression and am feeling much worse. They've made my insomnia worse and my anxiety much worse. Feeling really scared and unsure what to do. Anyone had this but stuck with it and it got better? Desperately need reassurance. X

Dancinggirl

Re: Citalopram newbie advice needed
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 09:09:54 AM »

Hi suey43
I've not taken citalopram but I believe the initial side effects can be quite alarming but these settle down quite quickly. I think many people need to take a couple of weeks off to rest and allow the body to adjust to the drug and then they feel better.  I'd phone the GP and ask for advice.  I do think you need to allow time for any AD to do it's magic.
Hopefully others will be along soon with personal experience and advice.
Good luck  DG x

Milamam

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 10:47:07 AM »

Hi Sue,
Citalopram, as well as other ADs do not have an immediate effect on anxiety. They are different from benzos which calm you down as soon as you take the pill. ADs work on the serotonin levels and build up over time to increase your sense of wellbeing, thus reducing anxiety symptoms in the long run. I wouldn't expect to calm down overnight when taking just two doses of the AD. There are also side effects that are different for different people, in the initial few weeks. Some Drs prescribe other medication for these initial few days to help with the side effects and to decrease anxiety until serotonin builds up.

My advice would be to persist at least a week or so to see the effect of the AD. You may also discuss with your GP for other medication to help you through this period.

Good luck!
Milamam

suey43

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 11:09:25 AM »

Thanks DG and milamam,
Been to see v sympathetic GP who said first 48 hours are the worst. Also got diazepam to help with anxiety and sleeping tabs. Just praying that side effects start to lessen soon. Also told to take AD in the morning and not at night. Anyone got a Citalopram success story to cheer me up? X

Milamam

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 11:36:36 AM »

I am on Citalopram for alraedy a year and have felt great on it. The combi with HRT has helped me tremendously to manage anxiety and all the other effects of peri meno.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2014, 11:40:07 AM »

Blasted side effects  >:( - if you can stick with them do so.  The benefits can be really good.

Valium on an 'as necessary' basis helped me enormously too!

littleminnie

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2014, 08:40:40 AM »

How you doing Suey43?  I was put on Citalopram 3 years ago when the meno took hold. I felt worse for about 5 days then it started to kick in. It took a few months before I started having really good days but definitely after the first 5 days there were definite improvements.

thorntrees

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2014, 08:53:08 AM »

Hi Suey. I have been taking citalopram 10mgs now for about 6months. I take it in a morning and try to keep to about the same time. Side effects and how long they last vary from person to person but they do go in time. I certainly feel calmer now and have less flushes and night sweats than before, this was one of my reasons for taking the AD as HRT was not possible for me. Try to stick with it a bit longer and I hope you get some benefit. My GP reckons it is one of the most affective ADs for anxiety but there are others to try if citalopram doesn't work for you.

suey43

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2014, 03:33:18 PM »

Hello there,

This is day 6 and think (hope) I've turned the corner. Appetite slowly returning and nausea going. Don't feel anything like as anxious today and managed to sleep last night.  Still feel q dizzy when I take them and v tired after a couple of hours. Was told to take am as seemed to stop me sleeping at first. Fingers crossed that this iris the beginning of better times as its been dreadful!x

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2014, 07:58:30 PM »

I take mine as they can cause drowsiness.  Also any side effects happen in the night when I'm not committed to anything.  I'm glad you are getting some relief ……… try to go with it!

Mrs January

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2014, 09:41:05 PM »

Hi
I take Cirtralopam and have been on it for about 15 months, it was awful to begin with for a couple of weeks. Now I wouldn't be without it I am afraid.....

Helped me no end and keeps me sane despite all the stres sin life

Hugs

Mrs January xxx

Loll99

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2014, 10:51:37 PM »

Hi this was a great medication for me.  But ...a big but  you will probably feel worse before you turn that corner and feel so much better. Stick with them use the diazepam if you need it . It took about 3 weeks to start to feel a good effect and it was gradual.  Good luck  :)

Bertiebunny

• First Flush
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2015, 05:14:16 PM »

Hi
I've just been prescribed citalopram 10mgs for my hot flushes etc as I can't take hrt. I'm quite apprehensive about taking it after reading about the possible side effects. Would appreciate some advice  and when is best to take it. I'm a childminder and need to be on my game!!

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2015, 05:18:17 PM »

So try at the weekend.  I take mine at night so that any side-effects don't cause too many day-time problems.

Why can't you take HRT?

Joyce

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2015, 05:28:25 PM »

I'm taking 10 mgs for anxiety. Side effects in my case haven't been too bad. Just about to enter my third week. I'm taking mine just after teatime, so that I'll sleep through most side effects.  Tried one night at bedtime & slept until after 10 am! My side effects were increased anxiety mid afternoon, but that's now passed. Had ringing ears, but that has also eased. Slight nausea for first 2/3days. Only thing I've been left with is cold like symptoms, or I've caught a cold. Not sure which for now. I was wary too having read about the side effects too.
Pages: [1] 2