Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: shingles  (Read 6273 times)

clio

shingles
« on: October 07, 2014, 09:09:18 AM »

o'dear, ive got shingles!! Im so worried, as just read up on it. Im not old, not had chem or on medication which is what can trigger it. the only things left for my age are stress and hiv!!! Omg am I hiv?? I was irrisponsible when younger and didnt always practice safe sex, what should I do??

Clio

dahliagirl

Re: shingles
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 10:10:47 AM »

You need anti-viral stuff to paint on the rash pdq - ring doctor for prescription.

It is something you just get - the virus from chicken pox stays in your nerve cells and comes back.  There is no rhyme or reason.  I had it when I was 13 and all the rest of the school had chicken pox.  You don't get it from chicken pox  ::)  Everyone I have known get it have all been pretty healthy.  It is just if you are old/infirm/ill, it is more of a problem.

Maryjane

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 10:14:43 AM »

I had it in April, stress and being very rundown bought mine on......I didn't get the medication as I missed the 72 hour window........oh and two of my children have had it, all under extreme stress and being run down.

clio

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 10:47:11 AM »

Thankyou, im at docs now, I panic over everything. I hav no one to confide in. Hubby says I over think things. Not told him bout hiv.....how could i. I prob not got it but always in my mind. Do I get tested to either confirm my worse fears or.....

Just come out of docs, I broke down in tears and told her my fears. She was so nice and spoke to me reensuring me that if I had hiv I wld of known about it by now. She told me symptons etc plus shingles is common this time of year which is why posters in waiting room. Didnt put 2 n 2 together. Feel much better now. Silly me!!!

Clio

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 11:54:36 AM »

You will have had chickenpox in order to catch the shingles virus, stress is the most likely thing to trigger it.  My M in L had it following a nasty fall.  If you get the correct anti-virual stuff within 24 hours it will ease symptoms enormously.  Where has it surface from, around the 'middle'?

Joyce

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 03:40:43 PM »

My mum had it really bad in her 70s. Took her long time to recover as she didn't go to GP until a few weeks in.

honeybun

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2014, 06:14:47 PM »

My mum had it last year at 91. She had the pills and would not take them but was fine. A bit uncomfy for a couple of weeks but that was it. She was very lucky.

Just shows how different we all are.

Honeyb
x

ariadne

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2014, 06:28:38 PM »

My mother in law is 90 and she just had shingles too. It must have been quite mild as she seemed to get over it quite well.  Hope you soon feel better

Ariadne xx

clio

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2014, 07:39:08 PM »

Thankyou for all replys. Its from my right side and across my right boob. Rash on side is irratating me but can deal with that.

Clio

honeybun

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2014, 07:52:21 PM »

Calamine lotion or cream is very good as is Piriton. Keep the Calamine in the fridge and perhaps stop wearing a bra for a while.

Hope you feel much better soon.

Honeyb
x

Joyce

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2014, 10:38:18 PM »

My mum had to give up wearing bras for a while. She bought some cotton vest tops instead.

clio

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2014, 03:59:41 AM »

Thanks for the tip on calomime lotion, will get hubby to pick some up for me. Yes been looking at thosr vest bras that are advertised alot at the moment. Cant wear a bra at the monent so vest bra should be better.

Clio

Maryjane

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2014, 03:22:04 PM »

When my daughter had it she was told to put the Zovirax lip stuff you use for cold sores on the area, and it took all the pain away, just has to keep reapplying per instructions.