Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Restless legs  (Read 5476 times)

honeybun

Restless legs
« on: October 04, 2014, 12:36:09 PM »

Mine are getting worse.

I don't, luckily, suffer them in bed but in the evening when I'm watching TV. I just can't keep them still and its so uncomfortable.

I know CLKD would say eat bananas but I don't like them at all.

Anyone found anything that helps.  I don't want to go to the doctor so any tips would be great.

Honeyb
x

Millykin

Re: Restless legs
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2014, 01:06:03 PM »

Hi Honeyb
This is something that has followed me through life (44). When I was younger I slept with my legs up against wall I think it tapered off then when I was pregnant it came back, it's been on and off for for years now but lately since hitting peri meno it's back with a vengeance! I eat bananas everyday and doesn't help. I have googled it, you probably have too and iron or vitb6 seems too come up. I just don't know. Mine starts at night too can't sit still for it. In bed its at its worst and find myself moving about for cold spots, I've found if I lie on my front it easies a bit but its driving me up the wall lately, must be something to do with hormones I think.. Puberty, pregncy, menopause who knows. I do know it can run in families my mum, sister, brother, one daughter and even nieces suffer with it it's starting in my arms at bedtime. I'll watch this thread for any tips.

Rowan

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2014, 01:06:30 PM »

Difficult to treat HB here is some info  http://www.rls-uk.org/treatment/4567435170

From the site "Try to eat more foods such as asparagus, spinach and kale, all of which are rich sources of the nutrient folic acid. Supplements such as Iron, Vitamin B complex and Calcium can also help"

Forum help  http://www.patient.co.uk/forums/discuss/browse/restless-legs-syndrome-1966
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 01:09:31 PM by silverlady »

Millykin

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2014, 01:15:11 PM »

Think that's what I googled before SL knew it was something about iron/folic acid and vits. Never tried it but will this time. As for GP HB I mentioned it too mine a few times over the years and 2 of them just said try rest with your feet up at night, they just didn't grasp that that's when it happens so never mentioned it again :-\

Joyce

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2014, 01:21:24 PM »

I have this too, it's a right nuisance. Bedtime is the worst. Fidget, fidget, fidget for hours until I can nod off. I Don't get it every night, but I sympathise.

Rowan

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2014, 01:24:36 PM »

I have it occasionally usually when I am upset and stressed.

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2014, 02:17:29 PM »

The tip to lie with your legs against a wall or similar is good and does help. Mine were originally put down to my slight anaemia and the feelings did disappear once I had taken the iron tablets and got my level back up. Have you had your blood checked lately Honeyb?

Taz x

babyjane

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2014, 02:27:29 PM »

I must confess these were a nightly occurrence for me until I read that low potassium can contribute to it so yes honeybun, I eat a banana every day and hardly ever get it now. I have also read that low vitamin B12 can also cause this.

honeybun

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2014, 02:48:27 PM »

Bloods were done about eight months ago I think. Anaemia has never really been a problem for me in the past but next time I'm in I will ask.

I take B12.

I will have a look at the links thanks.

Anyone tried magnesium spray ?.

Honeyb
x

Joyce

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2014, 03:53:20 PM »

I tried it, felt like someone had set my legs on fire. Tried to persevere, but had to give in. If I can keep my legs nice & cool, it's not so bad.

honeybun

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2014, 03:55:33 PM »

I really wished I could unscrew mine and throw them away last night.

It's funny though, when I get into bed it goes away.

Honeyb
x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2014, 04:58:05 PM »

I am aware of my legs all the while.  However, the moment I lay down at night - strangely enough if I drop off to sleep in the day it doesn't 'start'.  It's usually a lack of potassium which is why I found bananas useful - several daily for years.

Also if we are 'out' of bananas I take Nurofen at night - 2 tablets and I can drop off ………

oh yes and I slept for years with legs up the wall - eventually I put two double blankets under my side of the mattress otherwise I got pins and needles in the legs ……… the blankets sort of helped.

Ju Ju

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2014, 08:44:51 PM »

I suffer from restless leg syndrome, well not mine, my husband's!  :o

Problem solved for me at least when he goes off to sleep in the spare room! How do your partners cope?

Joyce

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2014, 09:47:33 PM »

I'm the one in the spare room.  :) Hubby has restless feet. All I ever hear are his feet rubbing against the duvet. If it's not that, it's his snoring. So between us we're a pretty restless pair.  ;D

Morwenna

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2014, 10:36:41 PM »

I've heard that Tonic Water can help.
Pages: [1] 2