Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Calcification?  (Read 6793 times)

Tabbycat

Calcification?
« on: October 01, 2014, 07:26:39 PM »

I'll try and be brief!

I've had a dry, tickly cough for over three months now, it's keeping me awake at night and is a real pain, so a few weeks ago I saw my GP about it.

She said it was probably caused by post-nasal drip and gave me antihistamines and a nasal spray - and also a form for a chest x-ray "in case it didn't clear up".

Of course, it didn't clear up so last week I had the x-ray. Didn't think any more of it till today when my GP phoned me to say they'd noticed some calcification in my breastbone and I needed to have another x-ray.

Thing is, when I got the phone call I went into uber panic mode - heart racing, ears ringing - so I can't remember if she said it was definitely or probably calcification. She was adamant that it didn't mean anything sinister - but if that's the case then why do I need another x-ray?

I'm in a bit of a state now - and it doesn't help that my OH is away till Sunday so I'm on my own, which always makes things worse. Trying not to worry but feel a huge weight hanging over me now.

Has anyone had experience of this? (The chest stuff, not the heavy weight - I know that's pretty common during the meno!)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Calcification?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 07:38:39 PM »

Ring the Surgery in the morning and ask for a call back so that you can voice your worries?  Calcification can be in indication of how much we are absorbing/not …………

I had a very non productive cough for months so took high dosage magnesium - if you do a 'search' you should find details of how much to take and for how long - magnesium can relax the coughing reflex  ;)

Tabbycat

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 07:40:55 PM »

Ah, that's very useful CLKD, thanks.

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 07:46:02 PM »

So have a word with your GP 2-morrow or the X-ray Dept at the Hospital where the film is stored: - then if the cough persists, discuss the magnesium idea? 

Tabbycat

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 08:42:19 PM »

I'll look into the magnesium but it'll have to wait till the weekend cos there's nowhere near where I work that I could get it (I'm presuming I'd have to get it from a health food shop).

Not sure about phoning the surgery - what do I say? That I'm worried even though she told me not to be?

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 02:23:45 PM »

Yes - what I do is go back to the GP and start by saying something along the lines of "I must have been in a dream last time, could you remind me ……. explain to me ………. reassure me ……. "  :-\

Don't take the magnesium until any investigations are over and you get the all clear in case it alters the condition  ;)

LizeeeH

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2014, 02:33:36 PM »

Its hard not to panic but they are just covering all corners here and as she said its nothing sinister :)

HUGGGGGGGGGGS xx

Joyce

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2014, 04:13:56 PM »

I had a persistent cough for months. Hubby, one day had heard enough of me coughing & spluttering, basically through phone at me & told me to phone doctor. I did. Sent for xray, which was clear. Mine is mainly caused by asthma. Some days it's fine, others not so. I knew that was the problem, but hubby didn't agree. Doctor also reckoned touch of PND.   However, apparently persistent coughs can be caused by excess stomach acids, but that's only the case if they only happen when lying down, which mine weren't.

Kathleen

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2014, 05:08:10 PM »

Hello Tabbycat.

Earlier this year I had a cough for months which was getting worse and I was bringing up all sorts (sorry if tmi). I finally went to the GP who diagnosed an infection and prescribed antibiotics which did work but took a while. At the appointment he said that NHS guidelines insist on a chest x-ray for persistent cough and most of the time it is unnecessary. Your calcification may be completely unrelated to your cough and is probably something harmless that you've had for years but they want to get a better image.

Take care and try not to worry ( I know, I know ).

Best wishes.

K.

Tabbycat

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2014, 06:19:51 PM »

Thanks everyone - all your posts really help.

Oddly enough, I was feeling so low yesterday evening that I had a couple of glasses of red wine - sure enough in the middle of the night I woke up with a headache. All I had at home was some paracetamol+codeine tablets, which I don't really like cos usually codeine makes me spacey - however, it's also a cough suppressant so it stopped me coughing last night, and today I've only had one coughing episode, so I feel loads better. And far less worried.

I've been feeling so good the last few days - my temporary contract work is ending next week - and I can't wait to leave! - and the following week I'm going abroad on holiday for the first time in about six years (to hell with my fear of flying!) and now this is dumped on me!

Calcification? Am I so old that I'm turning into a fossil? ;D

Joyce

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2014, 06:44:31 PM »

You go enjoy that holiday!  Sounds like you need it.

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2014, 07:02:45 PM »

Enjoy the holiday - fossils are precious  ;)

Nata

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2014, 02:15:07 AM »

Hi Tabbycat :) how did your X-rays go? I have the same thing and I will have my second X-rays next Monday

Tabbycat

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2014, 08:33:04 PM »

Hi Nata

Not had the second x-ray yet, still waiting for the appointment. But I saw my GP yesterday and she assured me there was nothing to worry about and that the hospital was just being cautious in asking for it.

She's now given me an inhaler for the cough, says it will help the inflammation but I haven't used it yet. I'm a lot better, not coughing nearly as much.

Good luck for Monday, let us know how it goes.

Tabbycat

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2014, 08:27:26 AM »

How did it go Nata?

I had my second x-ray yesterday too, don't think I'll get the results for a week or so.
Pages: [1] 2