Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: New member saying hi and worried about light, erratic, lengthy bleeding  (Read 3103 times)

Helsy

Hi

As suggested by Taz (thanks Taz) I am introducing myself here as a new member.  I joined at the recommendation of my GP after seeing her with various symptoms.

I am 46 and my main worry is stop/start erratic bleeding - I have always had about 23-28 days between my periods with my period lasting 5-6 days until recently. 

My periods over the last four months were getting further apart by a few days (fantastic I thought after years of hellish periods!) But all of a sudden literally within one month, I am bleeding on/off for compeltely different nos of days  - like for 3 days then not for two weeks then bled for ten days then a week's gap then bled for a week then a week's gap and have now started again this morning!! Is this a peri sign and how long does it go on for? Does any semblance of predictability come back?

I am worried as had sex last night and am hoping that the bleeding isn't related to that - can sex trigger hormonal bleeding in peri-menopause? Obviously want to be reassured it isn't cervix related but had a normal smear in April so that is all ok.

I have actually been referred for a laparoscopy and hysteroscopy because before all these recent changes my periods were extremely painful after having an ablation (they became much lighter but much more painful which I believe is very unusual).  For two years I have been taking ibuprofen and paracetamol for 3 days every period.  However as soon as my periods started getting initially getting further apart recently, the pain has completely subsided which seemed to suggest a change.  My GP thinks if I am not suffering pain I should hold off having the examinations and a GA for the time being as it would seem I am in peri.

So I am in a quandry as my pain has all but gone (just mild period cramps), my bleeding is always light, but it is much more frequent, lasts for longer and occasionally and possibly triggered by sex.

I was so worried as well as found a lump in my right breast but phew! Went to the breast clinic yesterday and I had a whole bunch of cysts that are completely benign and he just drained them all for me. One less worry anyway.

Any pointers would be welcome re the bleeding.  I have found many of the threads on here very interesting.

Helsyxx

Dancinggirl

Re: New member saying hi and worried about light, erratic, lengthy bleeding
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 04:32:30 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM Helsy
Your anxiety about all these changes is very understandable - I'm afraid they are very typical of the peri menopausal stage. Has your GP done any tests e.g. FSH and oestrogen levels? Blood tests are not always reliable but when I had very similar symptoms to yours in my mid 30s they eventually did a blood test and announced my ovaries were failing and I was peri meno!!!
The peri stage can take 5 or more years but can result in many of the symptoms you are describing which it naturally worrying - especially if you were used to regular cycles. I really wouldn't worry about sex - you've had a smear test recently so sex is unlikely to be having an influence on the bleeding - it's the hormones that do this.
Of course certain things need to be checked but perhaps you could be referred to a meno clinic for a check and a discussion about HRT as you are rather young to be oestrogen deficient. HRT is recommended up to your early 50s if you have an early meno  - HRt will protect your heart and bones.
I'd read up all the info under the headings to the left of this screen to get really clued up.
Will your periods ever get back to normal? - they may be regular for a few months here or there but through peri stage the erratic periods are part of the declining and fluctuating hormones.   Get back to us with questions.  DG x

Helsy

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 06:28:39 PM »

Thanks very much for your response Dancing Girl.  I will certainly go back to my GP and ask her if we have a meno clinic and maybe get a blood test done as these bleeding changes have happened so suddenly.  That is great advice and much appreciated.
Hx

caz24

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 09:31:06 AM »

Hi Helsy

I have just come across your original post and I wanted to say that I too have been having problems with my periods for the last few months. I am 47 and like you I was always regular and have been lucky in that my periods were never really troublesome. How that has changed! I have had ten days off in the last couple of months. Most days I have some form of a light bleed, I have to wear a liner all the time, but then my body really goes for it and I have flooding for a few days at a time with period pains then back to the light stuff and if I'm very lucky, nothing!

My GP did blood tests and my FSH was 35 which I think means definitely I am in peri. However she is referring me to a gynae to rule anything nasty out. Smear test and swabs have been clear and I've had an ultrasound which just showed a small cyst and a small fibroid and my GP isn't concerned about these. Now I'm a bit worried as the gynae will probably suggest a hysteroscopy but like your GP suggested all this is probably due to peri so should we hold off having all that done anyway? Some women just seem to have gone down the route of something to regulate the bleeding which is what I really want. It's a bit of a minefield isn't it? xx

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2014, 12:16:06 PM »

carol124
I think it is good to have some investigations if for no other reason than to give you peace of mind. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they offer you a Mirena to help control the bleeding and pain. If they do I would give it a go as it has really helped many women and means you can just add some oestrogen in gel or patch form to reduce the meno flushes etc. if they emerge. Dg x

caz24

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 10:39:49 AM »

Dancinggirl

Thank you. I think that you're right about having peace of mind and thank you for the info on the Mirena. I don't want to speak too soon but the bleeding has stopped for now, since Saturday. Yay!! xx

caz63

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 10:47:04 AM »

Carol24,
I had the Mirena fitted for painful periods, but it gave me symptoms of BPPV. I had it fitted for about two years, last resort was to have it removed as it was working, but had it removed and the BPPV  stopped after a few months. I swear it was the Mirena, but most of the consultants poopooed that idea, bar 1. Don't want to worry you, as we are all different,, but just be aware of side affects.  ::)

Dancinggirl

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 04:44:15 PM »

The Mirena is now widely used because there are relatively few problems with it - that is not to say that some women get issues and side effects but I think the percentage of women who have problems is very low.  caz124 - you were unlucky especially as it was actually working for you in other ways.  Like anything e.g. aspirin, the pill, HRT and many routine medications, there can be side effects but these have to be balanced against the benefits. Excessive bleeding can be distressing and sometimes leads to many other problems. The Mirena is one way to control this. DG x