Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Worst time of my life  (Read 2957 times)

Maroulla

Worst time of my life
« on: August 28, 2014, 06:25:44 AM »

I wanted to know if others out there had the same awful feelings as I have had whilst going through the menopause.  It started with a general low feeling a few months ago,coupled with anxiety,low self esteem,feeling absolutely no pleasure in anything at all. This escalated into a full blown depression that sent me to my GP.  I have a very vivid memory of sitting there crying about how awful I felt.  [ I had a hysterectomy 5 yrs previously with ovaries intact.]  I felt this terrible depression was hormonal, couldnt explain why,just did,and as I had no periods ,she took my blood and yes my FSH and LDH levels were 4 times the normal.    I was put onto HRT immediately and 5 months later I am feeling almost back to normal.   This has saved my life.     Has any one out there had a similar experience?

Mrs January

Re: Worst time of my life
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 06:37:21 AM »

Hey lovely

Yep , for sure this is the worst I have had to cope with too. It is a change in our lives we could do without, but stay strong and whole and we will be ok

Hugs

Mrs January xxx

Smokey

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 08:02:24 AM »

Hi Maroulla

I had terrible symptoms I am into peri meno,( at least I think i still am) I'm 48 and have been on HRT for about 3 years.

I have MS too which I was diagnosed with at the same time. I Had so many symptoms and was worried it was all MS but thankfully it wasn't.
I was scared of everything and wouldn't leave the house on my own for a while,I was working and even driving to work was a challenge. I burst into tears all the time for no reason at all, I had hot flashes and then shivers, but these were mild and didn't really bother me compared with the rest?
I had weired heads which I still get on and off, my head would feel to heavy to be on my neck,silent migraine, supermarket lights make me feel weired and spaced out,only not so bad now. I had hot breath feeling,when breathing ,a bit like chewing Airways chewing gum! The worst symptom for me was a creeping sensation which started from my feet and slowly spread through my body, i had an awful feeling of dread,like something terrible was going to happen, it was so scary and couldn't believe hormones caused it! I have dry eyes still now.
HRT was a life saver for me and dread the thought of having to come off it in the future,however I think my doctor knows it helps with MS symptoms so hopefully I can stay on it as long as I need it.

smokey x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 09:43:22 AM »

:welcomemm:  it's not called 'the change' for nowt  :(

Interesting comment: supermarket lights make me feel weired and spaced out :  I can't go to the Theatre any more because the low lighting makes me feel as though I am falling forwards.  I have seen a neurologist (1998) who couldn't understand what I was experiencing.  I did find that supermarkets can also have a weird feeling so try to use those with very high ceilings. 

Mandy H

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 10:05:32 AM »

Hi Maroulla!  I've just started hrt patches 2 weeks ago but my mood seems lower than ever and crying more.  I am doubting whether hrt is worth it but after reading your experience may persevere a little longer.  Did you have to try different hrt before finding 'the one'?? x

Maroulla

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 05:24:51 PM »

Hi Mandy, I tried 1mg of elleste solo for a month,but didnt feel it was quite topping up my levels,as although symptoms better I was still not quite right,mood wise.   After discussing with GP , she put me on an extra 1mg in the evening,making daily dose 2mg but in a divided dose.  I have had this increased dose for just 2 weeks and am feeling much more like my old self.      Hope this helps you and you feel better soon x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 05:34:34 PM »

It really can be Trial and Error.  Having a good Practice Nurse/GP or chat with your local Pharmacist?