Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Internal Tremors  (Read 21006 times)

cheekygal

Internal Tremors
« on: August 01, 2014, 09:00:24 PM »

I have been having these internal tremors since starting an AD back in May, I  discontinued the AD 12 days ago but still having the tremors, has anyone else experienced this as a menopause symptom?  It seems to be 24/7 lately and my head tremor which I have had under control for years with propranolol and 2mg diazepam has also started again.  As it happens it was after taking AD's many years ago that the tremor started, Neuro said it was either essential or dystonic tremor.  I have read on here one other lady having the latter.

A friend who is also in peri has been getting the internal tremors also but not daily, like I have.  Which is why I don't know if it is meno or something else.

I feel so alone as I am a single parent and don't have any other family. Over the last 2 months have became more or less housebound.  Stuipidly I spend too much time crying or googling  which probably isn't helping things  :(

Taz2

Re: Internal Tremors
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 11:04:33 PM »

Hi cheekygal - I can't help with the tremors I'm afraid but just wanted to send you a hug and say that you are not alone tonight.

Taz x  :hug:

Galadriel

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 06:14:40 AM »

Hi cheekygal, :hug:

I get the internal tremors too - just my abdominal muscles and only when I'm at rest in bed.

I've been peri for about 3 years but changes have really ramped up in the past year.

Stay away from Dr Google - never qualified as a doc!!!

Which AD were you taking and when you stopped, did you taper the dose or go cold turkey?

Galadriel x

Kathleen

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 09:15:39 AM »

Hello cheekygal.

I also experienced internal tremors but they were more like a jittery, butterfly type of feeling so I'm not sure if it is exactly the same thing. I had them all day, every day but they would magically disappear about 9pm in the evening only to begin again the next day. After six months of this I saw my GP, began using HRT and the fluttering stopped after two weeks so they were certainly hormone related, also in her book on Menopause Dr Miriam Stoppard describes these sensations and notes that they are very common.

I'm not sure how all this helps you atm but I wanted to say I know how horrible these feelings are, that they are a part of the menopause and that HRT does help.

Wishing you well and take care.

K.

cheekygal

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2014, 04:07:27 PM »

Thanks for your replies, I had a feeling it may be hormonal although it only started about 2 weeks into the AD's, it's starts in my legs and works up, I also have random muscle twitching too, again since the AD's, however had they been responsible I would've thought that would've went on discontinuing them.  It was mirtazapine I was on 30mg, persevered with them for 4 weeks but couldn't tolerate the side effects, went down to 15mg for a couple of weeks the one every other day, been off them 12 days now, first week wasn't too bad, but this past week has been awful, terrible anxiety and depression, today been extremely bad as been having horrible thoughts and it's scaring me. I can't take any other types of antidepressant as had really bad experiences with them in the past, as mirtazapine is in a class of it's own that's why I agreed to try it.

I have consindered HRT but again the side effects worry me, I was offered Premique but their side effects include anxiety and depression! 

I am getting really desperate now, never once did I think menopause could be this bad  :(

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2014, 04:23:25 PM »

I think that you may be suffering from withdrawal symptoms cheekygal as although you weren't on the drug for that long you have stopped it fairly quickly. This is a guide as to how to withdraw safely http://www.greenspiration.org/drug/articles/Withdrawal.htm   If your "horrible thoughts" are suicidal ones then I think you should go back to your GP as soon as possible for some more advice. Do you have anyone there with you?

Taz x  :hug:

cheekygal

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2014, 05:08:09 PM »

Yes Taz I'm afraid they are that thoughts, no here on my own.  My GP said if I won't take AD's then there is nothing else he can do.  >:(  Even saw a CPN who suggested low dose serquel even though I am not bipolar, those side effects are awful to.  I realise everything has side effects, but I can't take things that make head tremor worse and unfortunately most of those type medications do aggravate it.  It's been fairly stable for past 15 years.

nelliedee

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2014, 06:31:44 PM »

I developed a head tremor after taking Sertraline for 2 days and ended up at A & E in the early hours of the morning. That was 2 years ago. I did not continue with the AD'S as they made me feel like I was going mad. My anxiety was so high that it took me a year of constant exercise (walking) and pushing myself to get a grip on stuff. I learnt not to dwell on things and if I found my mind dwelling I would make myself get up and do something in order to break the cycle. I visited quite a few health professionals and also paid to see a neurologist who diagnosed my dystonia. I had never ever had a tremor before in my life. Sometimes if I am stressed it is very apparent but I am coping well with it these days. I am still in peri meno and still suffering anxiety and depression but I manage it fairly well these days. Like you I cannot tolerate AD'S and my advice to you would be to learn how to relax (fully) read some books on mindfullness. Dont fear the internal tremors as they wont hurt you, the more you fear the more they keep you in the cycle so learn how to relax when they start. Check your diet and dont overdose on caffeine and processed food. Can I ask how long have you taken diazepam? are you still taking it?

cheekygal

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2014, 07:39:02 PM »

I've been taking 2mg diazepam for around 10 years and had no problems, however GP increased this to 10mg per day which I feel is too much and have been taking 5mg, not helping that much at all now, more so since I stopped the AD's.  It took me a long time to recover from trying multiple types of AD's 25 years ago, in fact I was agoraphobic for many years and attributed that to my intolerance of them.  Yet GP still insists I try 'newer ones'.

I had a look at the link you posted re withdrawals Taz, I guess it's possible that is what is making me so down these past few days.  I just keep wishing the day away so I can sleep, or at least try to.  It's so unfair  :(

nelliedee

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2014, 05:01:19 PM »

Sorry for the delay but I have been away for a few days.
When my anxiety was at its highest I was told to take 2mg diazipam 3 times a day but it simply was not enough. My GP said to up it to 3, 4, or 5mg 3 times a day which I did and for about 4 or 5 days it slowed me down enough to get a grip on being able to function. I was on the verge of agriphobia and I knew if I didnt get out of the house I would never recover. I also took propanolol. after a week or 2 I felt a little like a zombie so I slowly cut down on the diazipam and just stayed on the propanolol for a few months untill I felt well enough to battle along alone. Withdrawal from diazipam can be awful as can AD'S. There is a method of withdrawal called 'the ashton method' which can give you a good insight as to how these drugs can be slowly taken down and eventually kicked for good. Its a slow process but in my opinion its the best way. Hope you are feeling a little better xx

cheekygal

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2014, 05:40:49 PM »

I went back to GP on Monday and she told me it was unlikely to be AD withdrawal or hormonal, and referred me for CBT!  She also told me to up the diazepam to 5mg 3 times daily.  If it wasn't for them I too would've became agoraphobic again, I've been managing with taking it only twice, but still can't see a light at the end of the tunnel as yet.  I don't want to have to depend on them to live normally, although I have heard that some people have taken them for years with no problems.   Yes I have read parts of the Ashton Manual, and agree it would be the best way to cut down.  Even though I wasn't on the AD's for very long, I maybe did stop them too quick. 

nelliedee

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2014, 07:16:17 PM »

There is a light at the end of your tunnel even though you cannot see it right now, it just takes a little time. You need to try and concentrate/focus on 1 day at a time and try as hard as you can to see the positives in your day no matter how small or irrelevant they seem. I feel that diazipam is a great drug in the short term, your body and mind needs a rest so let the pill do its job and dont push yourself. After a little while you will be stronger and can manage your own withdrawal at your own pace and with the Gp's help and supervision. Baby steps are your way forward. I dont know your age or meno status but I truly do believe that hormones are responsible for these horrible feelings we get and I actually felt I was going mad !!! I then found this site and my relief was huge. I also feel menopause is a time to care about yourself much more than you ever have in your life and stop trying to help all and sundry, we are not superwomen. CBT is very good and in the meantime build some relaxing exercises into your day, dont skip food and keep as busy as possible. This will lift xx

cheekygal

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2014, 10:56:26 PM »

Thanks so much for your kind positive comments Everyone's Mum.  The way I felt at the weekend has left me a bit jangled I must admit,  but trying with the help of the pills, hopefully I won't need 2 - 3 per day for ever.

It really infuriates me when someone says, you look fine, how can there possibly be anything wrong with you, or you just have to snap out of it.  I want to slap them! 

nelliedee

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2014, 07:03:19 AM »

Your very welcome  :)

I doubt you'd need the pills long term, just at the moment while you are having a blip and if they are working well then use them as a crutch to get thru this period.

CBT can teach you how to ignore the comments of others and is well worth doing a course but I will say you need to find a therapist that you are at ease and can connect a little with. x

cheekygal

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2014, 10:15:13 PM »

Yeah I agree that's you need to have that connection with someone to get on.  I had a really great CPN many years ago who I got on great with.  I imagine I will have to wait some time for this as it's on NHS.
Pages: [1] 2 3