Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Postmenopause and Estring  (Read 4799 times)

Hattie

Postmenopause and Estring
« on: July 24, 2014, 05:12:29 PM »

Hi
Is there anyone out there who is using Estring who is postmenopausal and has vulva nerve/muscle tightening problems ? I don't have VA at all.

I have a nerve problem and muscle tightening on one side of the vulva due to nerve irritation.  I used Vagifem for over 3 years and things got progessively worse during that time so i am not sure what part the oestrogen played if any and stopped using it.

My GP today has agreed for me to try Estring after my pain consultant mentioned oestrogen again- i am a bit worried about it having read that it is a higher dose than vagifem and i still have a womb.

Anyone got any ideas or further information if oestrogen can help nerves and tightening muscles ?

Would Welcome any input from experienced users of Estring - realise i can just try this and then pull it out again if needs be.

Thanks
Hattie X

Dancinggirl

Re: Postmenopause and Estring
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 05:25:19 PM »

I'm using the Estring.  I found the fillers in Vagifem, Ovestin and Gynest irritated things  down below and were really not helping. I don't think it is that much higher in oestrogen - after all it's not so long ago that Vagifem was 25mg not the 10mg it is now.  Many women find the 10mg is too low and have to do extra doses each week.
I still have a uterus and I'm not particularly worried about womb cancer - I just find it's the easiest to use and actually seems to be helping my VA and bladder problems.  My view is that oestrogen will keep things healthier so there is less chance of other problems.  My mother had Vulva cancer - she had a premature menopause so must have had terrible VA - and I wonder if the VA contributed to the cancer??
If you are in pain then it is really worth trying the Estring - you are under a doctors supervision so I really wouldn't worry.
Keep us posted about your progress.  Good luck   Dg xxx

Hattie

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 04:52:38 PM »

Glad that the Estring is helping you Dancing Girl and thank you for your reply.

Just thought i would post back as you asked.

I got the Estring and went back to see my doctor - in the meantime she had had a letter from my pain consultant saying that if the oestrogen wasn't helping the pain then it wasn't worth using. This is a pain consultant not a gynae talking here.

I used vagifem 25mcg for over 3 years then vagifem 10mcg when it changed during which time the nerve pain just got worse.

The doctor has now left it up to me as to whether she fits the Estring - for the moment she hasn't - i have found that she always goes by what a consultant has written - personally i have medication for nerve pain and i do have muscle spasms now but feel that is maybe easier to deal with that than have the extra worry of an Estring inserted that may not be doing much now anyway to help the nerves.

Maybe this non hormonal route is crazy ? - any thoughts appreciated. I don't have VA nor didn't prior to a nerve irritation problem occuring but maybe this is the same as VA going extreme.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 09:25:06 PM »

Firstly, you can fit the Estring yourself, I do - you don't need the GP to fit it!!! It just slips in and you may be aware of it for the first day or two but after that it's fine. If you ever used a tampon then you can use the Estring.
If you used Vagifem 25mg then had to change to the 10mg dose, this might explain why your problems increased - if you hadn't used any Vagifem then your condition may have been even worse by now. Maybe you needed the 25mg dose?
VA emerges in different ways with different women.  All post menopausal women will have VA but for some it isn't troublesome(maybe just dryness) whilst others get pain, infections, bladder issues and terrible burning. As you are post meno I suspect VA will be a contributing factor to your issues.
I'm not entirely sure what the dosage is with Estring but it makes sense to me that it's slow constant release will bring more benefits than twice weekly ultra low Vagifem.
If I were you I'd give the Estring a go - it's unlikely to cause any problems but it may do some good.  You can always take it out if you don't like it.
I hope that helps  DG x

Hattie

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2014, 09:47:30 AM »

Dancing Girl

Thanks for your reply - i do understand what you are saying.

I agree it is most likely that have got this problem somehow because i am postmeno - a gynae told me that rough sex can be a cause.

My logic at the moment is that it was during the time i was using the 25 mcg vagifem that the nerve pain just got worse and that was a good long time - Estring is just a slightly higher dose.

I have so many fears around what is happening to me at the moment that i know for now adding in the Estring will just add more fear of it creating yet another problem for me - eg womb lining thickening.

Sorry don't mean to drag you into this conversation that i may be having with myself ! but i also wonder if other women reach this point where a nerve problem is just that a nerve problem no matter how much oestrogen you use.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2014, 12:31:08 PM »

I do understand -  knowing what is the right thing to do is difficult. I suspect the nerve damage may be as a result of AV but I doubt the Vagifem would make it worse but other factors may be at play. It's a very personal thing - if you are still having intimate relations with your partner then this could aggravate things - perhaps that is not possible because of the pain.  I'm sure you have discussed this with your doctors.
The amount of oestrogen in the Estring is still very low and little, if any, oestrogen would be absorbed systemically so if you do decide to try it I really wouldn't worry about the womb lining thickening.  Since using the Estring the skin around my vaginal area is far more elastic and feels far more healthy - as it was when I was young.
Having experienced dreadful burning for months on end I can fully understand how awful your discomfort must be. Damaged and/or inflamed nerves anywhere in the body are very painful.
If the medication you have been given is helping the pain and you don't feel too dry,itchy and sore around the vaginal area then maybe sticking with this for the time being is your best option. If things do deteriorate and you feel things are getting tighter and the natural flora balance is making things worse, then I would consider trying the Estring.
BTW, do you use lubricant daily to keep comfortable?
All the best  Dg x