Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Evorel 50 and Evorel Conti side effects  (Read 27938 times)

Marsha11

Evorel 50 and Evorel Conti side effects
« on: July 20, 2014, 06:53:09 PM »

Anyone able to help on Evorel Conti.  I am on my first month of HRT and at the beginning the doctor gave me just Evorel 50, which I later discovered was for women who have no womb.  The pharmacist then said I could use Evorel 50 for two weeks and then change to Evorel Conti from day 14.  The trouble is, since starting the Evorel Conti I have had really bad stomach cramps which make me feel very sick and my stomach feels very bloated, but no bleeding in site.

Has anyone else suffered like this and did they have to change to a different type of HRT?

Marshall

honeybun

Re: Evorel 50 and Evorel Conti side effects
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 07:04:23 PM »

If you are post menopausal then you use a conti.....ie no bleed as its a continuous dose of both oestrogen and progesterone. You won't get a bleed on this patch.
A sequi which is two weeks oestrogen and two weeks oestrogen and progesterone then back to oestrogen gives you a bleed.

ie....conti .....No bleed
      sequi......Bleed.

I think your body may well be a bit mixed up by taking oestrogen only and then changing. It's not drastic but it could take you a little while to settle on the conti.
I found that the patches ( same type as you) made me feel sick. I started with half a patch and built up from there.

Honeyb
x

Marsha11

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 07:19:45 PM »

I am so confused now.  I am not fully post menopause.  Haven't had a period since October 2013.

Feel very upset  :'(.  What are the doctors up to, I have a cupboard full of Evorel 50 and Evorel Conti and the way I was explained it, is that I take Evorel 50 for the first two weeks and then Evorel Conti the last two weeks.  If this isn't the case, I really need to know so I can go and see the doctors again, as I feel very sick, tired and have stomach cramps.

Marshall

honeybun

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 07:35:21 PM »

No evorel 50 is for women who have had a hysterectomy. Ie...oestrogen only.

Conti is for women who are post menopausal..ie no period for a year although a couple of months either way makes no difference. You will not get a period on this one.

Sequi is for peri menopause women who are having meno symptoms but still had periods no matter how erratic.

How old are you.....a bit more history would help.

If I were you I would stick with the conti patches but cut a bit off them to minimize initial side effects.

Honeyb
x

Limpy

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 07:44:12 PM »

I was initially given Evorel 50.

I changed to Evorel Conti after about 3 weeks, when I asked should I have some progesterone.....  ::)

Was then given the Conti version and just switched after the end of the first pack of Evorel 50. No bad side effects, but I had used Loestrin BCP which I believe have the same type of progesterone.

I think it can take a little before Evorel Conti settles down. I did have a little bit of spotting, went after a few months.

Marsha11

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 07:47:44 PM »

So lets see if I have got this right?  I am 48, have not had a period since October 2013.  Am I post menopausal? give or take a few months.  I should not be using Evorel 50 patches at all, not even for the first two weeks of every month (as instructed by my doctor).

I should be using Evorel Conti patches all through the month and I shouldn't expect a bleed?

Is it safe to cut patches in half at the beginning and use half a patch, changing it every 3 days, as I would a normal whole patch?

Thanks so much for your patience Honeyb, but am at my wits end with the medical profession because they keep misleading me and so far I have paid for two prescriptions, but now only seem to need one.

Marshall

honeybun

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2014, 08:02:04 PM »

No problem, it's hard to get your head round it to start with.

I don't want to confuse you but at your age you should really be on a sequi patch.
This would give you a bleed every month which is appropriate at your age.
I went onto sequi patch at your age and did not change to a no bleed (conti) till I was 53.

Go back or phone your GP.

Ask for a Evoril sequi patch prescription. This will give you a strict routine to follow. Two weeks oestrogen only and then two weeks oestrogen and progesterone. Then back to oestrogen only. At that point you have a period.
If you find you are still feeling off which a lot of women do you can cut a bit off all the patches for a few weeks and that leads you in gently and you don't get side effects which pass quickly.

I don't mind you asking as many questions as you like. I was you a few years ago and this forum helped me so much.

Honeyb
x

hotstff

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2014, 11:26:40 PM »

I can't believe I've found somebody else who was also prescribed Evorel 50 by mistake?  :-\

I also have a womb and was prescribed Evorel 50, when I should have been prescribed Evorel Sequi.

Crazy.

Limpy

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2014, 09:39:16 AM »

That's what happened with my GP - she "misclicked"

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2014, 09:39:32 AM »

Hi Marsha11
I am so confused now.  I am not fully post menopause.  Haven't had a period since October 2013.

Feel very upset  :'(.  What are the doctors up to, I have a cupboard full of Evorel 50 and Evorel Conti and the way I was explained it, is that I take Evorel 50 for the first two weeks and then Evorel Conti the last two weeks.  If this isn't the case, I really need to know so I can go and see the doctors again, as I feel very sick, tired and have stomach cramps.

Marshall

Just to clarify -

Yes you have been given the correct prescription.

Yes you should take a continuous combined HRT because you are not yet post-menopausal.
In your case this would be Evorel sequi

Evorel sequi packs contsists of:

2 weeks of Evorel 50
2 weeks of Evorel conti

You don't need to go back to the doc. They gave you Evorel conti patches because you already had the Evorel 50 and therefore you can still use them! When they run out you can get Evorel sequi if you want which will have the two types of patch in theone pack.

As others have said you will eventually experience a bleed shortly before or after stopping the Evorel conti patches. Some women don't bleed at all on sequential ( cyclical) HRT and some only after a few months.

The side effects are a different issue. The norethisterone causes bad side effects in some women and I do hope these subside. If not there is another cyclical patch to try: Femseven - but these have to stay on for a week.

Other than that several of us use Oestrogen only patches combined with micronised progesterone (Utrogestan) which is the most natural form of progesterone.

Hurdity x

dkidd

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2017, 03:06:53 PM »

Hello ANYONE!! Who knows what they are doing with patches then please please help me!!!!!

I was prescribed femseven sequi... The first week was oestrogen only then second week the same then third week oestrogen and progesterone for the two weeks.....but the fact is I think I've made a mistake... the third week came.. no period... Then forth week came and thought I wasn't going to have a period so now the doc has put me on the continuous........... I think I've made the biggest mistake as I've got almight depression very low crying.... Am I right to believe that when you start your phase 1again you then get a bleed......plz help I could do with it...

vickypk

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2017, 08:20:32 PM »

Hi Marsha11
I had stomach cramps and felt sick for a while when I first started with those patches. Yes it is okay to cut the patches.
Hope you feel better xx

Hurdity

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2017, 03:29:35 PM »

Hi dkldd

Yes that's it - you should get a bleed on phase 1. Sometimes women don't - I think it's around 15 % - but still keep on with it! The withdrawal bleed is supposed to happen either towards the end of the 2 weeks you have been taking the combi patch or just after you change back to the oestrogen only patch eg 3 days into the new pack.

I would defo go back to trying cyclical HRT and keep on it for 3 months until you are sure it suits you on both phases.

Hurdity x

Sarai

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2017, 04:57:41 PM »

I'm 55 and post meno and just started Evorel conti 50 on Tuesday.
I had no meno symptoms to speak of, but as I have spine fractures I think they fill my mind totally.
As I'm a chicken I cut mine in half oddly I've had more flushes through the day.
I only need it for my bones so I will have to increase it soon I guess.