Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Bleeding in peri - anyone else had this  (Read 2715 times)

ancient runner

Bleeding in peri - anyone else had this
« on: July 14, 2014, 10:56:21 AM »

I had a period a month ago with lots of bleeding, no cramps. But since then I've had period cramps usually a couple of times a day and small amounts of bleeding every day. I have a GP appointment for Wednesday - anyone else had something like this? The cramping makes me think my body's getting fired up to have a period all the time but there's no time for the lining to build up, and the "off switch" seems to have gone AWOL.
Am 53, perimenopausal, still having periods (which were pretty regular for a few months), no flushes but severe dryness problems and using estring for that.

Machair

Re: Bleeding in peri - anyone else had this
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 11:23:59 AM »

I had something similar last year and then went 11 months with no bleeding at all. Then had a period and am expecting another. You are doing the best thing getting it checked - it could be a polyp but the most likely thing is hormones. I'm 54 now so was your age when I had this - it followed a long gap I think, so maybe was due to the build up. Certainly many ladies on here have a similar thing. I think a check up will give you peace of mind - maybe they will offer an ultrasound to check the lining.

Many of us don't just finish as you might hope with less periods further apart. I thought I was at the end but seems not yet anyway.

ancient runner

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 11:25:31 AM »

Thank you! Still cramping now... odd.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 03:41:16 PM »

Hi ancient runner
Your symptoms sound very typical for peri meno. Perhaps get your FSH and oestrogen levels checked?  If the pain is a new thing (you don't usually get period pains) then I'd get things checked.

If you get ongoing bleeding and it proves a problem it may be worth having a Mirena fitted as this reduces and eventually stops the bleeding. You can then just add a little oestrogen gel or patch to help with meno symptoms.

BTW - I'm still using the Estring and things have improved - I still get some days with burning but I'm finding this is linked with getting too hot and at times of stress. Also I'm being very careful to fully empty my bladder as I think my urthra has collapsed a bit and therefore it is difficult for me to fully empty my bladder.
Dg x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 03:43:17 PM »

Hi again - I get cramping that I know is more to do with the bowel than period type pain.  This tends to come and go as well.  Developing IBS or having problems with the bowel is another joy of the meno!!! DG x

ancient runner

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 05:54:56 PM »

Hello DG! Glad your rubber ring  ;) is helping and you're finding ways round the residual problems. I had a blip last week (which I do for a day the week before a period but this went on for a bit) which makes me think hormones are really playing round, hence possible the semi-permanent pink splodges and the cramping. I do often get period pain but this has really gone on a bit - 3 weeks!

Dancinggirl

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 06:12:26 PM »

Fibroids can appear at meno time as well.  I think a check up at the docs for peace of mind would be a good idea.  DG x