Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Clearing throat constantly  (Read 9308 times)

jgr

Clearing throat constantly
« on: June 28, 2014, 04:01:25 PM »

I have had this problem for a few years now, constantly feeling the need to clear my throat and not always with success. Dr's thought it could be acid from the stomach, post nasal drip or related to my asthma. I have been on Omeprazole 20mg for 4 years and i am trying to reduce down to 10mg as i really don't want to take them long term.

I have recently been diagnosed with narrowing of the upper airways which they are putting down as a form of COPD, get breathless off and on throughout the day, so they have given me the inhaler Eklira Genuair 322mg which is in powder form. Now i have noticed an improvement with my breathing and my cough seems to have slackened off a bit and when i try and clear my throat it seems to stick there and i feel i am going to choke.
I have also been getting an acidy taste in my throat with this change and i am wondering if it is the reduced Omeprazole dose or the new inhaler. Just when you think things are under control, it all goes wrong again.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Clearing throat constantly
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 04:08:08 PM »

I have post nasal drip which causes similar symptoms.

jgr

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 04:22:23 PM »

It is horrible CLKD. x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 05:42:31 PM »

It is ……… embarrassing, a nuisance, gets to be a habit  :(

jgr

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014, 05:57:04 PM »

So true. And you are right about it becoming a habit. If i am doing something and not thinking about it i don't do it as much, the minute i think "oh i haven't coughed for a while" it starts. :(

Joyce

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2014, 07:24:50 PM »

Driving hubby insane with my coughing fits. I have asthma & PND. I'm fine for a while too, then off I go again.

jgr

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2014, 07:49:41 PM »

My OH also hates it when i start, he keeps glowering at me. No sympathy at all. >:(

Joyce

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2014, 08:28:16 PM »

My hubby thinks there's more wrong with me. Eh no, been checked out, xrayed & I'm fine.

Dyan

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2014, 10:29:45 AM »

I am constantly trying to clear my throat to the point sometimes when I feel like I am going to choke.
I feel so conscious of it that I think people must think I have a nasty habit.

jgr

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2014, 04:56:59 PM »

It is awful Dyan. It always seems worse when you have people around and find it difficult to clear your throat. I find myself doing a low growling trying to clear it without being noticed.  :(

Joyce

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2014, 05:12:03 PM »

I'm constantly sniffing with mine. Blow my nose, but it just trickles constantly down my throat. NICE!  ::)  Doctor prescribed a nasal spray for mine. Just hope it eases after hay fever season has passed. My brother has same problem. I'm on antihistamines too.   

jgr

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2014, 06:38:46 PM »

I use Beconase  spray Stellajane, has made no difference. x

Hurdity

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2014, 07:28:02 PM »

Have you tried swallowing instead of clearing your throat? Sometimes that does the trick. I have various allergies (dust-mites, mould, cat hairs etc) and do develop that habit of throat-clearing sometimes, because there's always a bit of mucus (from the allergies). My husband pulls me up about it (I'm glad because I don't want it to be an annoying habit) so when I feel the urge to clear, I swallow hard several times instead - sometimes it does the trick - you are basically swallowing the mucus directly I think. Also if it has become almost a nervous habit, swallowing seems to calm things down. Just a thought if anyone hasn't tried this and provided there isn't too much mucus that is!

Hurdity x

jgr

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2014, 09:34:31 PM »

I will give it a try Hurdity. Thanks x

Millykin

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2017, 05:31:20 PM »

Jgr

I know this is old post, just wondering how you got in with Eklira? I was given this 2 weeks ago, unsure. Did you have any problems ? Any info would be great

Milly
Pages: [1] 2