Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Vasovagal IBS  (Read 18745 times)

katsclaws

Vasovagal IBS
« on: June 02, 2014, 11:18:29 AM »

« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 08:16:11 AM by katsclaws »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Vasovagal IBS
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 12:06:18 PM »

Is there a connection between the French bread and the symptoms?  What changes had you made to your diet in the previous few days.

I have had IBS for years ……… due to being anorexic-type, the gut spasm stopped completely ……… my GP was wonderful and gave me appropriate medication and advice.

I have always needed to watch what I eat particularly when away from home due to my intolerance of onions  ;)

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 02:03:56 PM »

French bread comes into the country half-baked before distribution to the various supermarkets across the UK so it may well have been the same recipe  ;)

Stick to what you know!  I had to for many years ........ once I found a diet which suited my gut I stuck like glue and only in the last 5 years have I dared to 'eat out'  ::)

Rowan

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 02:18:12 PM »

Its happened to me too and I ended up in A&E after conking out.

I stupidly took two stool softeners and about half an hour later had severe pain in tummy  went to the loo and that's the last I remember, OH had forced the Loo door open to get to me.

Had all the tests kept in overnight and found nothing wrong.

Its Quite common  http://ibs.about.com/od/symptomsofib1/a/IBS-And-The-Vasovagal-Reflex.htm

When it happened to OH in the loo it was far more serious as it was connected to his heart, it happened twice and was very traumatic, he would have died if I had not been there. They had removed his pacemaker previously but it took two blackouts in the loo for them to replace pacemaker.

Rowan

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 02:43:52 PM »

No more episodes thank goodness though it stresses me even now when he goes to the loo, and he does seem to spend a lot of time in there ::)

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 03:29:37 PM »

Takes a Good Book then ?

My body is like my car: whilst it starts in the mornings I'm OK  ;)

oldsheep

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 05:28:25 PM »

I used to get what I called 'vagal attacks' but never as dramatic as yours. Just my heart suddenly beat irregularly and slowly, then 'stopped'. It was food related mostly. Had to climb stairs or jump up and down to restart.
It settled when I took a 6 month course of PPIs (omeprazole) - seemed to make the vagus nerve less sensitive. Not suggesting that it would work for you, but it was an off label suggestion by my then gynae, who was elderly, had vagus nerve problems and had self medicated with omeprazole!

Very scary, what you describe. Can you avoid wheat to see if that helps? I also take ground linseed to avoid straining
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 05:30:26 PM by oldsheep »

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 07:25:00 PM »

Me too!! I've had it very infrequently since I was around eighteen but didn't know what it was called until it worsened dramatically last October after having a course of several antibiotics for a kidney infection. It's horrible. The feeling like you are going to faint or vomit the dizziness and drenching sweating coupled with the intense pushing sensation - just like a labour cramp - makes me feel totally exhausted. I haven't found out a cause yet but I've found that Buscopan if taken as soon as I feel that overwhelming sensation begin can help. Taking a book into the loo wouldn't help CLKD as there is no way you could focus or concentrate on reading!

It does make eating out difficult - although the last couple of times it has happened out of the blue and didn't seem to be involved in eating. Not nice at all. Luckily (unluckily for her) my GP also suffers from this so she is very sympathetic.

Taz x

Rowan

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2014, 07:51:54 PM »

I had no warning whatsoever when I passed out, OH said he felt himself go though.

oldsheep

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2014, 08:14:32 PM »

have you got an alarm button in the loo? Mind you, if no warning at all, not much you can do.

Taz2

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2014, 09:03:24 PM »

My husband and one of my sons have passed out while getting up for a wee in the night. Same sort of thing I believe.

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2014, 09:15:22 PM »

I always tell the men (including visitors) in our household to sit over the edge of the bed before going to the loo.  It prevents this sudden fainting …………

honeybun

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2014, 09:47:54 PM »

I think I will let my hubby and son figure that out for themselves. They think I fuss enough anyway without me giving them going to the loo in the night instructions  ::)

Honeyb
x

Taz2

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2014, 09:51:43 PM »

Why would you tell them that CLKD? Don't they have to go to the loo at night in their own homes? They might have already figured that one out!

Taz x  :lol:

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2014, 03:04:24 PM »

Because a friend's husband dropped dead in the bathroom at 2.45 a.m. ....... and the Coroner told her that if all men sat over the edge of the bed before rising, there would be less sudden deaths in the early hours of apparently healthy men  :-\ ... and it's my house so my Rules GO! as I don't want waking in the early hours with a sudden bang ..........
Pages: [1] 2 3