Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Defibrallators  (Read 4888 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Defibrallators
« on: May 18, 2014, 04:14:53 PM »

We were stopped in Stressco this morning where demonstrations were taking place as a fund raiser to equip the local town with these in various places ……….. apparently these machines coast £1,800 ……… seems a good idea!

Taz2

Re: Defibrallators
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 05:32:14 PM »

It is a good idea. There is also a government scheme to allow schools to buy them at reduced rates. They save so many lives. Obviously if you are lucky enough to live in an area with a Responder Team then this is also brilliant.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/deal-to-provide-life-saving-defibrillators-to-schools

One of the pubs I go to in Devon has one - it's kept there for use by the whole village which is extremely remote.

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 06:18:42 PM »

I think this idea will spread successfully - I read about an 18 year old who recently saved a dental patient's life, he grabbed the machine from the wall in the waiting room ……..

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 07:52:38 PM »

Yes we have one in the village I live in. Just recently got one! I think there are some volunteers who are trained to use it.

Hurdity x
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 06:07:21 PM by Hurdity »

Joyce

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 09:38:09 PM »

Shopping malls would be good idea too. I think in the US they have them in all public places like loos etc.

Scampi

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 02:43:50 PM »

You don't need to be trained to use the ones in public places - you just stick the pads on where it says and let it gone with it!  The machine checks heartrate and defibs if/when it needs to.  Fantastic pieces of kit - it's high time they were more widely available.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2014, 04:44:36 PM »

Saw 1 yesterday drilled to a wall in a village but it had a key pad in order to operate it  >:( …… not quite the idea of defibress me thinks ????? couldn't stop as we were in a line of traffic  ::)

Scampi

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2014, 08:33:54 AM »

My guess would be the emergency services control room will have the code for the box, so anyone dialling 999 could be told the number.  These things aren't cheap and unfortunately not everyone is honest and thinks about others ....

Galadriel

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2014, 10:48:29 AM »

That's exactly how the defib in our village operates - you ring 999, tell the operator the location code and they tell you the numbers to open the box. Such a great idea  :)

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2014, 03:07:59 PM »

I would have thought that 999 would have enough to do, I thought this is so that emergency services aren't alerted unless necessary, perhaps they attend once they receive the call though  :-\

£1,800 isn't much for a Life Saver !

Trey

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2014, 08:32:38 PM »

I have my own defibrillator.  I was a cardiac nurse and like to have it on hand.  So easy to use.

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2014, 12:23:52 PM »

It might be good for each street to 'own' one?

honeybun

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2014, 06:31:45 PM »

I thought it was for someone to use in the period before the ambulance arrived. So dialling 999 would be the first step anyway.
Can't exactly use and say oh well your all right off you go  :-\

It really depends on where you live and how fast the ambulance gets to you. When my hubby had a heart attack they were there in just over five minutes. Mind you he was still awake and talking.
To have one in every street would cost a fortune.

Honeyb
x

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2014, 06:38:27 PM »

Nope.  They cost £1,800 each  ;)

Trey

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2014, 06:55:22 PM »

Amazon US $1200.00 USD.  Only used in witnessed collapse and pulseless victim.  Illegal to leave patient once CPR began until official rescuer takes over. 
Pages: [1] 2