Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: fibroids, depression and mirena removed  (Read 4577 times)

cherub0308

fibroids, depression and mirena removed
« on: May 15, 2014, 01:30:26 PM »

Hi

I had the mirena coil removed on 29th of April.  I had this in for nearly 3 years for small fibroids and found my symptoms were getting unbearable. Depression, emotional to the point I didn't know what to do with myself.  These symptoms have got worse over the past year to the point where I have felt suicidal.

Does any one know if there is a connection with fibroids and depression ?  Surely they would be better taken out than being suppressed with a mirena coil and antidepressants

It is now 16 days sine I had the coil removed and I started losing blood on 8th of May. This has got progressively worse to the point where I am losing clots. These have got bigger today. I feel lifeless.

I would never have another mirena coil.

Any advice ?

Taz2

Re: fibroids, depression and mirena removed
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 03:31:15 PM »

There is a connection between depression and the mirena coil cherub. The progesterone, although one of the kinder ones, can still cause depression in some women. It is natural that you are bleeding now that the coil has been removed as it is the stopping of progesterone which causes a bleed. Although clots feel horrible when you pass them they are, in fact, a good sign as it shows your clotting mechanism is working.  There are some experiences related here http://www.netmums.com/coffeehouse/woman-504/sex-contraception-48/494069-mirena-coil-sex-drive-spots-depression-all.html

What has your GP suggested next?

Taz x

cherub0308

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 08:47:16 PM »

Hi Taz

Thanks for your info.  I have an appointment on 24th May to see the gynaecologist who put the coil in.

I can't carry on each month feeling the way I do until my periods stop.

Cherub0308 x

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 08:54:29 PM »

How old are you cherub? Have you considered an ablation for the fibroids if you have quite a few years to go before periods stop?

Taz x

cherub0308

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 07:21:58 PM »

Hi Taz
Sorry for the delay in replying. I have had a rough time since having the coil removed.clots, bigger clots and no energy.
In reply to your question I'm 47 on August. I just want a better quality of life.

Cherub 0308 x

Mrs January

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 02:05:15 PM »

Hi cherub

I had a mirena removed last year as I was wobbling all over the place, tearful, anxious, low ( tried to take my life) etc.....I could go on

Now had another put in January 2014, have HRT too and feel great.I am on beta blockers and AD's and feel whole again

Take care and Hugs

Mrs January xxxx

Suzi Q

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 03:38:54 AM »

Hi Taz

Thanks for your info.  I have an appointment on 24th May to see the gynaecologist who put the coil in.

I can't carry on each month feeling the way I do until my periods stop.

Cherub0308 x

TAZ is a cracker shes helped so many people chinup sweety xxxxxxxxxxxx