Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: An end to painful mammograms?  (Read 6185 times)

minkusmum

An end to painful mammograms?
« on: April 28, 2014, 03:08:07 PM »

Linsey44

Re: An end to painful mammograms?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 07:13:46 PM »

Have to agree, it does sound good.  I need annual mammograms which iare uncomfortable and get annual mri scans which I find claustophobic so an alternative would be great.

tiger74

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 08:04:04 PM »

I wouldn't trust the results to be as accurate as mammography and/or MRI.  Sounds like it's still a "work in progress" but could be promising for some time in the future.

I agree, mammograms are uncomfortable and MRIs are horribly claustrophobic.  I've had a mastectomy and I'm slim so find leaning against the hard edges of the mammography equipment machine very uncomfortable.  I've managed to get through MRIs by having a friend in the room with me and taking diazepam'

Have heard about many women who don't attend for screening regular mammograms "in case it hurts" or "it really hurt last time".  I'm afraid they get short shrift from me.

Linsey44

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 08:38:39 PM »

Hi tiger74

Totally agree that women should take advantage of all the screening offered to them.  Other people have had to campaign and lobby parliament et. for us to have them made available for eveyone.

I for one am grateful, do you mind me asking why you had a masectomy, dont feel obliged to answer.

Joyce

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 09:34:28 PM »

At least someone is looking at alternatives, which can only be a good thing. I dread mine with a passion. However, I doubt an alternative will be in my lifetime.

libby1

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 08:11:04 AM »

Hi Girls

Linsey - If you have an annual mammogram, do you still check yourself? I have lumpy breasts anyway and was wondering if having an annual mammo would mean I wouldn't have to self examine, so wouldn't terrify myself everytime  ::)

Libby
x

Linsey44

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 08:29:09 AM »

Hi Libby
Yes I do still check myself, I have faulty BRCA2 gene which puts me at high risk of both breast and ovarian cancer, that's why I get annual mri and mammograms until I organise risk reducing surgery.

Its not pleasant checking your breasts as like you mine can be lumpy. Prior to knowing I had the gene I had lumps on my breasts a couple of times and was physically examined and got ultrasounds both times.  One of the lumps was described as a natural degeneration of breast tissue and that lump is still there and the other was a cyst and a blocked milk duct. 

I spoke to the doctor that was doing the scan and he told me that if he scanned all women of my age (think 40ish at time) he would find that around 50% of them would probably have cysts which usually disappear within 4 -6 weeks.

Personally I think we should still check our breasts regularly even if we have mammograms, no method of screening is totally reliable.
Linsey x

libby1

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 08:33:24 AM »

Thanks Linsay  :thankyou:

Libby
x

tiger74

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2014, 02:34:48 PM »

Hi Lindsey 44

I was diagnosed with oestrogen positive breast cancer in 2009 (age 47), full (left) mastectomy and node clearance followed, along with chemo, radiotherapy and ongoing hormone therapy.

It now transpires that I have a BRCA1 'variation of unknown significance' inherited from my Dad's side of the family.  It's unclear if this has been responsible for my breast cancer.  Very strong family history of various cancers (although I'm the only one to have breast cancer so far), so I opted for a prophylactic bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy in 2011 as I had an aunt (on the relevant side of the family) die of ovarian cancer.

As I'm still within 5 years of active treatment I'm still monitored closely i.e. regular surgery/oncology check-ups and mammograms.  However, if the mammogram frequency is reduced in the future I may opt for risk-reducing surgery on the other side.

Hi Libby

I totally agree with Linsey44, that all women should check their breasts regularly irrespective of whether they have mammograms.  Some types of breast cancer e.g. lobular, are difficult to detect on mammography.  Personally, I was too young for national screening at the time I noticed the problem.  Without wishing to sound alarmist, if I hadn't checked my breasts and reported a change straight away, I'd be dead by now.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 02:39:42 PM by tiger74 »

Linsey44

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2014, 03:13:37 PM »

Hi tiger74

Sorry you have been through the mill with cancer, hope your continue to recover fully.

I too had risk reducing BSO early this month, brca2 from fathers side.  One aunt had cancer of womb then got breast cancer 8 years later.  Another aunt going thru treatment for ovarian cancer.

I have appoint on 12th may to start process for risk reducing double masectomy, it can take up to a year for the op and have started reading up on it.  From a personal point of view i would rather do this than wait for annual mri and mammos then be worrying till the results come thru.

Have you been on the site that gives good info on foods to eat and avoid, it has loads of interesting articles.

Sarah2

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2014, 04:34:50 PM »

Sorry to hear about both your experiences.
The newer type of screening being developed is painless- it's imaging of your breasts looking for hot spots. I think this was on Channel 4 possibly Embarrassing Bodies- maybe a year back? You simply have your breasts examined by some kind of imaging which shows up red areas where tumours may develop . There was quite a bit in the news about it a while back so might be there if you google.

Good luck to you both with whatever route you go down next.:)

tiger74

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2014, 07:58:57 PM »

Thanks Sarah2, yes, thermography is a new(ish) technique which I think is only available privately in UK at the moment.  The head breast radiologist at my local hospital isn't a great fan and thinks mammography remains the best way of detecting breast cancer in women over 50, along with MRI for younger women.  Neither are my favourite way of spending time but the momentary discomfort from a mammogram and overcoming my claustrophobic feelings in the MRI 'tube' are very small prices to pay for the peace of mind that comes from being checked by the best techniques currently available. 

Linsey44 - PM me if you'd like to talk more about genetics / screening / BSO / mastectomy.  I hope you're recovering OK from the BSO and that your aunt's treatment goes well. 

I'm doing OK, thanks.  I still have 6 monthly check-ups with the surgeon or oncologist, next one is later this week.

Dana

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2014, 06:42:15 AM »

I'd rather they found a way around having to have pap smears. Mammos I can cope with, but those paps...... bleh :-\  I have to have my bi-annual pap next week and I'm not looking forward to it.