Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: osteoarthritis? osteosporosis?  (Read 2387 times)

Rowan

osteoarthritis? osteosporosis?
« on: April 26, 2014, 10:38:25 AM »

This damp and humid weather has made the joint of my thumb and little finger of my right hand start to ache again, usually when I wake up, as I am not on  my estrogen at the moment I did some research about estrogen and osteoarthritis, I have read about these findings before but they were more obscure, now there seems to be more findings.

http://www.arthrolink.com/en/osteoarthritis-folders/all-folders/osteoarthritis-and-women

It seems that may estrogen can cause osteoarthritis with over mineralization, as well as protecting bones from osteoporosis, women don't usually have both conditions.

I have been diagnosed with slight arthritis in my thumb joint( war and tear as my DR put it) but the main reason I have taken estrogen is for the protection of my bones ( preventative) though I have never been diagnosed with osteoporosis.

More findings to confuse, concentrate of moderating osteoarthritis or preventing osteoporosis.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: osteoarthritis? osteosporosis?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 12:33:23 PM »

the conditions are totally different - osteoarthritis is joint wear and tear caused by use - which causes pain, stiffness, sometimes swelling
Rheumatoid arthritis is caused by inflammation and is an auto-immune disease
Osteoporosis is caused by lack of calcium in the bones ........ what does the Osteoporosis Society say about your Link?

My paternal Grandad could tell it was going to rain 2 days in advance - because his OA joints ached  :-\
Osteoporosis can be fatal.  Lack of calcium causes bone thinning = fractures .........  :'( Dowager's hump is a good indication.  I had regular DEXA scans in the 1990s and try to walk as often as possible  ;)