Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Which progesterone? Mirena made me feel exhaaaaauuuusted  (Read 3798 times)

worldaccordingtome

Which progesterone? Mirena made me feel exhaaaaauuuusted
« on: April 22, 2014, 04:49:22 PM »

Hello and thanks so much for existing!

I'm 47 and perimenopausal. My main problem is waking exhausted, but I also get leg and joint aches and ferocious PMT.

My periods have been really regular for the last 3 months since I had a copper coil removed (while I had it they went bananas and were very painful)

I have resisted HRT previously as I developed crushing fatigue while I had a Mirena coil for a few years for contraception (Removed 2008). That fatigue disappeared when it was taken out but I've been nervous of taking hormones since then. I've recently read more about HRT, having been offered it several times by the doctor and I am more than ready now to try it as life is getting very hard.

Bearing in mind my experience with the Mirena progesterone (Norethisterone) can you advise what the best preparation might be for me to avoid nasties like the 'Mirena fog' I experienced?  Or will that not be an issue, in your experience, if it's taken alongside the oestrogen?

Am seeing GP tomorrow.

worldaccordingtome

Re: Which progesterone? Mirena made me feel exhaaaaauuuusted
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 07:41:05 PM »

Anyone? Would be grateful for advice. Feeling very low :'(

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 07:49:42 PM »

Hi Worldaccordingtome. I know what you mean as I too get the exhausted feeling while on progesterone. Unfortunately I have had it on both the types of progesterone I have tried - Evorel and then Femseven patches. I cope by knowing that the fatigue will only be for two weeks out of four and not all of the time.  I'm not sure whether utrogestan would be better for you? I can't have this one due to a soya sensitivity but women on here do seem to get on well with it.

I believe the progesterone in the Mirena is Levonorgestrel and not Norethisterone. I have found Norethisterone to be the worst one for exhaustion and bloatedness.

I'm sure someone else will be along soon to give you advice.

Taz x   :welcomemm:

meno lesley

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 06:28:47 AM »

Hi

I've tried most of the progesterones. Am currently on estrogel and utrogestan 100. I take the utrogestan before bed and it does help me sleep but do not feel sleepy during the day. I have found this combination the best for me, as struggled with the others.

Hope this helps you.

Lesley

worldaccordingtome

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 10:49:47 AM »

Thanks for your posts Taz and Lesley. See? Mistakes like attributing the wrong progesterone to Mirena are part of the problem. I hate feeling... unreliable.

Further research on the boards here has made me think I will go for gold (!) and ask for Elleste solo 1mg and Utrogeston 200mg, with a plan B of Femoston 1/10.

Elleste solo at 1mg doesn't get the osteoporosis preventing '*' though (my mum has it badly) Would you advise start on 1mg though?

ellie66

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 07:24:52 PM »

MIrean made me feel awful Iam fine Utrageston though

worldaccordingtome

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 03:33:20 PM »

Thanks Ellie, that's reassuring.

2nd day of Elleste 1mg. Best taken in the morning?

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 03:53:39 PM »

Hi worldaccordingtome

:welcomemm: from me too.

Yes it's a good idea to start on a lower dose of oestrogen and build up gradually to minimise side effects ( although some women don't seem to get any). I can't help re when to take it as I've never taken tablet HRT - hopefully someone else will be along!

If your mum suffered from osteoporosis then I would go for a higher dose eventually - you are only 47 and you can safely take HRT until the natural average age of menopause (51/2), without risk.

You might find a transdermal method will give you a higher dose - for example a 50 mcg patch is licensed as osteoporosis preventing. The degree of effectiveness in this respect is dose dependent ie the greater the oestrogen dose, the greater the protective effect on bones.

I presume you are also eating (drinking) plenty of calcium rich foods and taking weight bearing exercise?

Hurdity  x