Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Vitamin B12  (Read 5518 times)

moonbeam121167

Vitamin B12
« on: April 02, 2014, 08:03:44 PM »

Been told cause I am on Esomperazole  a PPI and have been told that I could possibly have a B12 deficiency, is it worth taking , I dont take any vitamins as I have not had any luck taking them , do you think it will help , dont want to go to Gp as I spent more time the surgery they make comments , not in a nasty way x

Ju Ju

Re: Vitamin B12
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 09:33:09 PM »

You can have a blood test to find out if you are deficient, but of course that means a visit to the doctors. I have recently had this tested along with a load of other things.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 09:59:04 PM »

B12 is a vital vitamin and it won't do any harm to take some.  I'm vegetarian so can be easily deficient in Vit B12 so often take it for a few weeks if I'm feeling tired.
Marmite is a good source of B12.
DG x

mandy43

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 10:01:14 PM »

Hi I  have b12 deficiency and was diagnosed with it when I was 37 (now 43).  I have major issues with my stomach, so hasn't got rid of them unfortunately.  However, it is a very important vitamin, so please get tested, as I had so many horrible symptoms prior to diagnosis, which it has got rid of.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 10:18:01 AM »

Be ware that VitB12 can interfere with some anti-depressant medication!  Do have a chat with your GP as this should be diagnosed with a blood test  ;)

moonbeam121167

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 10:26:03 AM »

Thanks for that when I go to Boots I will ask, thought I may try a B complex or do you think just B12 will be enough x

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2014, 10:26:46 AM »

Who gave you the initial information  :-\

moonbeam121167

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2014, 10:37:43 AM »

I was searching the net, as I am tired all the time , on PPI's and can lead to a deficency ,can not certain fruit and veg, dont take any vitamins, my nails are flaky, brittle, I dont eat wheat and on a lactose free diet, I also have bleeding gums, irritable, headaches, so I thought if I take B complex or just Vit 12 it may help

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2014, 12:14:31 PM »

STOP searching the net  >:( …….. go to your GP or a Pharmacist.  Bleeding gums needs to be diagnosed by a dentist, it can be a sign of several gum disease which can lead to other health problems.

Irritability can be hormonal.  Tiredness makes me tired.  I have background headaches all the while due to the medication I take ……. anaemia can make someone tired ……..

Rowan

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2014, 01:07:18 PM »

Its quite true about Proton pump inhibiters and can cause anaemia and decrease in vitamin B12

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proton-pump_inhibitor

My OH has been on this medication for many years and after blood tests earlier this year, the surgery rang him and he had to go in to see the Doctor, he was told that he had to go on iron and vit B12 right away and they were very low, he was even told that if they had been a fraction lower they would be thinking of a blood transfusion.

They were only designed for short term use.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2014, 01:58:53 PM »

Blood test then  :-\

groundhog

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2014, 11:36:57 PM »

This caught my eye as I have chrons disease and B12 deficiency is usually a problem.  In my case my levels are very high.  My GP has never really showed any concern over this but I have just googled it and guess what - could be an indicator of cancer.  I'm not fretting over it as this is where the Internet is a bad thing. 
Just saying googling is not always a good thing.
Night all xxxx

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2014, 10:46:36 AM »

Point me in the direction of anything that 'might lead to cancer'  ::) - the media has a lot to answer for  >:(

Rowan

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2014, 11:40:04 AM »

I am sure if your doctor is aware of your higher readings of B12 he will keeping an eye on it. If he is not concerned neither should you be.

To put your mind at rest why don't you print your findings out and show him and let him explain why he is not  showing concern.

I try to get good value out of my Doctor by asking him to explain findings.