Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Bad Headache  (Read 4844 times)

margaret

Bad Headache
« on: March 31, 2014, 12:44:51 PM »

Hi,

I've been taking Elleste Duet Conti Tablets 2mg since the week before Christmas, the nurse changed these from the ones where I got a monthly bleed.  I started to bleed on the 26th December and still haven't stopped, but she said it could take anywhere from 3 to 6 months to settle down.  My problem since Saturday morning is I've been having disturbed vision like zig-zag lines in both  eyes but not at the same time, which lasted about an hour in the morning, then again at teatime this one lasted about 2 hours, then on Sunday it happened again for about half an hour I have had what I can only call a pressure like headache since then, I am 54 and started taking HRT April 2012, couldn't get an appointment with doctor today but the receptionist had a word with him and rang me back advising me to stop taking the tablets and try for an appointment tomorrow, which is easier said than done!  I don't fancy just going cold turkey.  Advice anyone.

Thanks x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Bad Headache
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 03:12:12 PM »

No one should suffer bleeding like that, there is a drug which will ease the flow.  Give your Surgery a ring and see if you can get a prescription, you may be having anaemic symptoms if you are bleeding a lot hence the weird sensations?

margaret

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 12:23:04 PM »

Hi,

Just an update I went to the doctors yesterday with my bad headache, as a result I had my blood pressure checked it was 170 over 80, so I've been taken off the HRT and have to go back in a weeks time to have a blood pressure monitor fitted for 24 hours to see if it was that causing it to be so high, just have to play it by ear I suppose x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 12:56:52 PM »

Could be White Coat syndrome though

juliep45

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 09:13:24 PM »

Hello im new to this forum.( My 1st post). im 52 and started on Elleste Duo 1mg which didnt really help me so doctor gave me 2mg which seemed to help greatly NO more HOT flushes for about 18months Then i started with really bad headaches! They were so bad i stopped taking my HRT. The hot flushes mood swings, not being able too sleep all came flooding back with a vengeance. Worse than ever! i feel really fed up with it ! Been offered anti depressants! cant see how they will help. :(

margaret

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2014, 04:37:34 PM »

Hi juliep45,

I'm sorry you're having a bad time, sending you big hugs, I was very much like you when I started the peri-menopause, crying a lot, anxiety, sleepless nights, palpitations followed by night sweats, I've lost 2 stone in weight but the doctor doesn't seem to think this is connected.  It settled down nicely on the Elleste  Duo but the problems have started since I took the Elleste Conti but only in the last week have I had such bad headaches and flashing lights.  I think the doctors try to give everyone AD's because they don't know enough about the menopause, I remember the first time I went to see the doc crying my eyes out, and he said " Well what do you want me to do about it?" I felt worse than ever when I came out x

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2014, 07:35:07 PM »

Hi juliep

:welcomemm:

Sorry to hear about your headaches and maybe this is caused by your HRT - perhaps you have developed sensitivity to the hormones in this particular HRT as your own cycle changes?

On this site it is suggested that transdermal HRT may be better for women who suffer from bad headaches, so perhaps you might like to consider this rather than anti-depressants? It is too bad that doctors resort to giving women medication such as ADs rather than suggesting a change in HRT to treat their hormonal deficiency!

http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/atoz.php#GlossM
Migraine   
    Migraine is often triggered by hormonal fluctuations and therefore may occur around the time of a period. Such migraine may improve at the time of the menopause. Some women find that migraine may be triggered by the daily hormone fluctuations which can occur with oral (tablet) HRT so the transdermal (patch or gel) route is usually preferred with a history of migraine.

There is a lot of information in the menu on the left (green writing) - look under HRT preparations and you will find there are patches, gel and separate progestogens, or else combi HRT such as Femseven or Evorel patches.

Hurdity x