Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: My back has gone!  (Read 9299 times)

countrybumpkin

My back has gone!
« on: March 04, 2014, 02:24:56 PM »

Sadly its not actually disappeared cos that would be nice ;D
I have totally xxxxx discs in my spine. I have a prolapsed disc and bad arthritis in my neck and all my lumbar discs have multiple herniations.
I had a mri scan of my neck two weeks ago and they had to put me in a awful position and I knew I would pay for it >:(
For days everytime I leant forward I would get pain in my lower back and knew it was on a knife edge and sure enough yesterday I leant forward over the bathroom sink and wham, it went. Totally stuck which would be funny if it wasn't so painful.  So I am not it too much pain if I sit or lie down but every single movement is agony.  If I try and walk I strongly resemble a penguin with a pole up its bum ;D ;D
I have the added joy of not processing painkillers well so get no pain relief from even strong doses of dihyrdocodeine.
I am waiting for a phone consultation with my Gp today to see what else I can try in pain meds.
No point to this other than I wanted to have a jolly good moan!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: My back has gone!
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 03:23:07 PM »

You moan away.  Back pain can be debilitating.  I can rarely sit down on the loo without sciatica  :o …… let us know what the GP suggests: perhaps Valium as a muscle relaxant?

countrybumpkin

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 04:04:58 PM »

I am going to ask for some diazepam just for a few days to see if it can relax the muscles. they don't like giving it but as long as you take it for less than 2 weeks there is no addiction problem. 
I just wish spine and eye transplants were available on the nhs ;D ;D   ( I am paritally sighed as well ::))

Ju Ju

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 04:15:08 PM »

:hug:  A virtual hug, as a real one might hurt. Hope it calms down soon.

countrybumpkin

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 05:12:35 PM »

:hug:  A virtual hug, as a real one might hurt. Hope it calms down soon.

Thanks  ;D The virtual hug didn't hurt a bit

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 05:45:08 PM »

I found that even spitting when cleaning my teeth hurt  :o

Did your GP ring yet?

Joyce

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2014, 08:01:40 PM »

Another virtual  :hug:

Back pain is very debilitating. Unless you've suffered from it, you don't know what it's like. Hurts to move, hurts to sit, hurts to lie down. You have my sympathy.

honeybun

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2014, 08:04:49 PM »

And my sympathy too. I have sciatica off and on so I do know how painful back pain can be.

Diazepam worked really well for my hubby when he had a trapped nerve in his neck. He could not have slept without them.

Hope you find something that works soon.

Honeyb
x

countrybumpkin

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2014, 11:20:13 PM »

Gp rang me as requested and straight away said a weeks course of diazepam to hopefully relax some muscles and improve the pain.  He was reluctant to try any new pain meds without seeing me so I have agreed to the weeks diazepam and the if no better will go and see him.

If I could sit down and never move it would not be so bad ;D but sadly I do have to try and get up and walk and that is pure  >:( >:(

Joyce

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2014, 11:24:43 PM »

Don't know if this will help, but osteopath told me best treatment for any muscular pain is ice. I have an ice pack permanently in the freezer just in case. It helps relax the muscle spasms. Many of us have a hot bath, but that only helps temporarily.

Ju Ju

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2014, 08:37:38 AM »

Good advice, CG. My husband's chiropractor says the same. We keep a malleable cold pack in the freezer. You need to wrap it in a towel and apply it to the area for 15 minutes at a time.

countrybumpkin

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2014, 07:01:25 PM »

Thanks everyone. I am already using the ice.  I found that applying heat before trying to stand up helped a bit with the muscle spasm.
I am a bit improved today in that the extreme muscle spasm that was stopping me from being able to straighten up from sitting position is much less. It not only affects the area thats "gone" but all my back so I feel as if I can't breathe as well!!
Got my diazepam today, its only 2mg tablets but better than nothing ;D
I have at long last got a nhs physio appt next week, waited 4 months for it :o Just hope that they don't make me worse rather than helping.

oldsheep

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2014, 07:21:20 PM »

Hope your back improves x
2mg diazepam is a bit of a joke. Can you try 5mg?
Do you get to see a consultant about your MRI as maybe they will prescribe something? All takes ages though doesn't it? Can you see a physio or osteopath?

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2014, 07:21:39 PM »

2mg should do the job ;-) ………..

catdude

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2014, 10:07:31 PM »

You have my sympathies. I have arthritis and degenerative disc disease and the couple of hours I did in the garden the other week set off my sciatica!
Pages: [1] 2