Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Advice please  (Read 2633 times)

Chatty

Advice please
« on: January 26, 2014, 04:57:56 PM »

I have been going through the menopause for the last couple of years and really struggled a few months ago. A previous doctor suggested antidepressants which were ok but I did not notice a vast improvement. I went back to the doctor as I generally felt unwell, more physical than psychological. My new doctor suggested trying hrt, which other doctors had been reluctant to prescribe. I took hrt for two days and felt wonderful, everybody noticed except I came out in an awful rash and had lots of pain in the top part of my stomach. I was due to have blood tests which showed a possible autoimmune problem. I have stopped taking all meds and have just had another blood test but a am concerned it means I can't take hrt and that I will feel like crap for longer. I am normally really fit and have not felt myself for ages. Sill have pains under by ribs and have not taken anything for a week. Has anybody else experienced anything similar. Only good news please!!!!

Mandyo

Re: Advice please
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 05:34:27 PM »

Hello Chatty I started on hrt 11 days  ago and also had really bad stomach ache at the top of the stomach under the ribs  more so on the right side and it seemed to be worse when eating. I still have it a little bit when eating but it's not as painful as it was so think its getting better. I have also had constipation since starting HRT so wonder if that's connected to it too. I have an appt. with my GP next week so will ask then if it's connected to the HRT so will let you know what he says. I hope you start to feel better soon  :)

honeybun

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 05:44:45 PM »

Patches, or gel plus a separate progesterone are better tolerated if you have stomach problems on pills.
There is also the option of a mirena coil with a separate oestrogen.

Don't give up as there are lots of choices.

I don't tolerate pills very well at all but have been absolutely fine on patches.

Look around and ask lots of questions. There are lots of people who can help.

Honeyb
x

Trey

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 06:53:45 PM »

I echo HB.  I becomes terribly intolerant of the Premarin tablet, and had to try several patches because of rash and have found both patch and cream that work very well.  I've been on the patch and cream for eleven years.

Chatty

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 08:59:36 PM »

Thank you so much everybody. The good thing is my doctor is really supportive. I am going back in a couple of weeks but they want to check out liver/stomach first. Hopefully there will be other options. Thanks again for your advice. Even after the rash I would still advise peple to give it a go, my husband said it is the best he has seen me for 10 years!!!!!