Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Is this normal?  (Read 5655 times)

Tigger99

Is this normal?
« on: January 23, 2014, 10:59:23 AM »

Having more issues with my periods and just wondered if anyone else had experienced this.
I finished my last period on the 14th January but then on 21st January, about a week later i noticed I had a pinkish discharge rather than the normal white. The next day, 22nd January back to the normal white but again I have just been to the loo know and upon wiping noticed that once again the discharge is pinkish. I am going to go to the doctor's but they weren't particulaly bothered last time and I felt like I was wasting there time. I have no pain or discomfort. Just wondering if this is normal or anyone else has experienced this?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Is this normal?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 12:05:42 PM »

Yep.  Periods wax and wane eventually.  Make sure that you don't have a polyp that bleeds on contact and you can be assured that what you experience is probably 'within normal limits for your age'.  When are you do for a smear test?

Tigger99

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 01:04:31 PM »

Thank you for your reply. I am actually due for my next smear test in February. My last one was normal so hoping the same for this one. My periods do actually seem to drag on longer now but are alot lighter than they use to be.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 01:30:51 PM »

Tigger99
My periods were long and light during peri meno - all over the place.  CLKD is right though about getting things checked a the docs if you are worried.  DG x

Patientone

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 01:33:45 PM »

My first missed period was October 2010 so I have been at this for awhile.

I've have every range of bleeding that we have been conditioned to fear. Facts are, at this time when progesterone and estrogen are fluctuating  this can (in my drs words) become 'your new normal'.

The hormones that tell our body to bleed or stop bleeding are malfunctioning.

Of course getting those words from your own dr are important for you, but, in the end for the vast majority of us, we're all in this pot together.

I had a bleeding episode that lasted from October 23 to December 10. Trust me, I was completely out of my mind with worry. Tests revieled fibroids and an FSH of 58.3. Hopefully as my body completes this process the fibroids will shrink.

It's all so annoying and stressful, isn't it ?

Tigger99

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 01:57:31 PM »

Thank you for your replies. That's what I love about this site the fact that you get so much reassurance from people that are experiencing the same thing. I will go to the dr's to get it checked out but as I said last time I went they were so flipant about it I left feeling I was being a nuisance. I find it hard to understand why a lady dr wouldn't be more helpful. Still at least I can come here and be put at ease  :)

Dancinggirl

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 02:35:29 PM »

So many years of our hormones mucking us about - it's tough being a women.
Tigger - are you getting any other symptoms, hot flushes etc.

Patientone - the fibroids issue is a real pain - it often means the docs are reluctant to give HRT.
I'm not sure about this but is a Mirena an option for you? 

Tigger99

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 03:29:33 PM »

Oh yes the joys of being a woman, lol.
I have had a couple of hot flushes but not really anything signifacant and not for a while. It is more my periods that have started to go a bit wonky. I have had a few other things that have come and gone but have dealt with them.
I don't see why the Mirena shouldn't be an option.

Patientone

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2014, 06:57:24 PM »

dancinggirl ... I'm on my own, can't take hormones of any kind - ever.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2014, 07:49:07 PM »

Patientone - it's really tough if the option of HRT is not open to you. I find your doctor's comment "your new normal" in describing the menopause symptoms as rather outrageous - what is a normal menopause????? Maybe he was trying to be reassuring and I'm getting the wrong end of the stick?
Have you looked under the heading of Alternative therapies and Alternative techniques in the list to the left of this screen?
There are some threads on this site where ladies share their different ways of coping with meno symptoms without HRT - possibly worth dipping into?
To give you a bit of light at the end of the tunnel: I'm 57 & after years of using HRT (I had premature meno and I must be around 10years past meno now)I have recently come of it  -  and my meno symptoms haven't been tooooo bad and I have to say I feel quite good - almost a relief to be free from the need of HRT at last.
I do hope things settle down for you sooner rather than later. 
Keep us posted about your progress.  DG x

Patientone

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2014, 07:16:37 PM »

Thank you DC, my Gyn is a female and she was reassuring me that the changes in my period, were not outside what is usual and expected at my age (51 at the time) and perimenopause. Her words that this could be my new normal were comforting. :-)

Tigger99

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2014, 04:51:06 PM »

Well saw my gp and explained that I was getting a bloody discharge inbetween my periods and she just said to keep an eye on it and see if it happened again so really not helpful. It stopped for a couple of days and went back to the usual white colour but today again on wiping it is red again. My period is not due until 6th feb. Should I get a 2nd opinion or just keep an eye on it and see how it goes? I get better advice on here than the Dr, LOL.  :)