Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Meno and housework...and olive soap!  (Read 20377 times)

mamakaren

Re: Meno and housework
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2014, 04:29:25 PM »

I'm glad that I'm not the only woman out there that has been overcome with meno laziness! i find everything gets overwhelming and when I get home from work and taking the kids to their various activities, I am exhausted! There is so much clutter building up and I can't seem to get the focus to get to it!

I am trying to organize a cleaning blitz with my kids and hubby but something always seems to come up! I am able to get the basic stuff (Laundry, dishes) done everything else just sits. :(

I keep saying to myself that my HRT will start working soon and that I'll get to it when that happens!

Karen

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2014, 04:54:22 PM »

Off to make a chores list in my thread ….

Maryjane

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2014, 05:16:07 PM »

I have a Westie and a Border Terrier. Housework really has become the enemy.

CLKD

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2014, 07:50:08 PM »

I'd rather walk the terriers than do housework  ;) ….. making the most of any gaps in the rain!

JJ

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2014, 08:05:10 PM »

Bizarrely when I worked 4 days a week, I was really organised re. housework, now I work one day a week and I'm pretty apathetic about it, and I loathe ironing so treated myself to a pressure steam iron in the sale and it certainly makes light work of ironing, just have to make sure I have the window open as it gets pretty, well, steamy ::) not good when one is hot flushing !

Limpy

Re: I am not a domestic goddess but this is ridiculous!
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2014, 08:52:22 PM »

Unfortunately Hubby won't let me have a weekly cleaner.  He said a while back we can't afford one.

Someone please tell me I'm not the only one to find housework such a challenge just now.
D.

Dulciana - Lots of us find housework a challenge you are not alone.

If your OH isn't keen on paying for a cleaner, will he do his bit and help clean the house himself?
Does he know about the mice, I assume he is the one emptying the traps?

Anyway, if he isn't helping, cut to the chase and sort something out yourself.

My OH didn't like having a cleaner in when I stopped working, but to give him his due, he is far better at cleaning, than I or the last cleaner ever was. Point out you need help, wherever it comes from.

Maryjane

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2014, 09:21:56 PM »

Dare I say I haven't ironed for ten years , out of the washing machine, good shake on the washing line, air in the airing cupboard. The linen, creased look is the fashion. My husband irons his own work shirts, and NOTHING else ever gets ironed.  :)

CLKD

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2014, 11:28:23 AM »

The only items which get ironed are linen shirts ........ unless we are going 'posh'  ;)

honeybun

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2014, 12:48:03 PM »

I have told my lot that when I die to make sure they put an iron in the coffin with me or I will have nothing to do when I get to wherever I am going  ;D
I iron for us and also my mother so it's a bit like the Forth Road Bridge....never ends.
I have tried not too but I don't like the crumpled look which is how my stuff manages to end up.
I don't mind housework as long as I can keep up to date by just doing a few things every day.
It's the big jobs that daunt me.
We are needing to decorate the kitchen and I am dreading it although at one time I would have done it on my own while hubby was away and looked after two kids as well.
Is it an age thing or a meno thing or because I now have to look after mum as well. I suspect a combination of all three.

Honeyb
x

KatieLiz

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2014, 02:41:38 PM »

I could have written that myself Dulciana!  I always find I'm better when people come and visit as that prompts me into action!  I have signed up to receive daily emails from this site which really helps from a motivational point of view:
http://www.flylady.net/

I think its the perfectionism coming into play, in that we want everything clean and tidy immediately but its exhausting thinking about doing it.  This site helps you with putting a few routines into place which seems to magically help without putting in too much effort!

Also, asking other members of the family to do certain jobs can help - you shouldn't be expected to do everything yourself!

CLKD

« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2014, 08:09:15 PM »

"different personality types" - that'll do me nicely,  :thankyou:

dulciana

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2014, 10:59:50 PM »

And me!  My twin sister's the opposite - she gets her ironing done (I hate ironing), hoovers, won't sit down until the dishes are washed by hand (I moan about taking them out of the dishwasher!) etc.etc.  Mind you, she doesn't know what a hot flush feels like.
I definitely think personality types come into it.  I'm much happier sorting out the notes in a piece of music than doing the house work!  :-[    So it probably serves me right.  I do still hanker after a sort of Ideal Home home, though, so maybe where there's a will, there's a way............

Winterose

« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2014, 03:56:44 PM »

Maybe when the Sun shines again it will make you feel energised - if only because it shows up the dust!

try some High intensity exercise that gets you going.  If everything is reasonably clean neat and tidy I feel so much better than when it isnt.  Possibly see if someone could come in once a month to have a blitz on certain areas of the house , if someone else is in cleaning it makes me do more as you dont feel its all just down to you  and I cant sit with my feet up while someone else does the work.  :D  I like to break things down and do little bits all the time,sometimes it just doesnt happen and the paper/book/walk is more interesting but then so be it. 

dulciana

« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2014, 08:20:23 PM »

Yes, you're right, although I think that when the sun shines again, the dust it shows up will make me feel more guilty than energised!

There are so many helpful suggestions in this thread that really I have no excuse.  I think my motto from now on has to be "I can, I will, I must"!    I need to get back to my tidiness-loving self and not let it slide again.

Thanks everyone for being so helpful.

Dulciana

:thankyou:
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 08:22:02 PM by dulciana »

KatieLiz

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2014, 02:38:12 PM »

I think the best motto is the Nike one - 'Just do it'!  Easier said than done though!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4