Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Breast Reduction on the NHS  (Read 13876 times)

lynn walker

Breast Reduction on the NHS
« on: January 06, 2014, 01:03:58 PM »

Hi Can anyone help me with the process of breast reduction on the NHS. I have had shoulder and back problems since 2008 and has surgery on right shoulder. I went back to so the consultant and he suggested I get referred for reduction. He wrote to my GP as far as I know the GP applied for funding and it was rejected. He did this before even sending me to see a consultant, surely this should have been the first step because only a consultant would assess me and then put it to a board for a decision for funding. Im rather confusrd regarding the whole process. I would have thought he should have referred me to the consultant for this op as that's what my shoulder consultant suggested, but he seems to be trying for the funding first. He is a bit of a dinosaur and not very professional in my opinion. Has anyone has this done on the NHS and knows the proper procedure, thanks :-\

Taz2

Re: Breast Reduction on the NHS
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 01:08:31 PM »

I'm not sure of the procedure lynn but does this help? http://breastreduction.cliniccompare.co.uk/nhs-breast-reduction

You say that as far as you know the GP applied for funding? I would definitely ask the GP whether this is the case - you need to be told exactly what he has actually done.

Taz x

lynn walker

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 01:14:37 PM »

Thanks for the link Taz I will have a look. Yes he has applied for funding and his secretary told me this morning that it has been rejected. As he is such and old dinsosaur Im sure he has done it the wrong way round and should be sending me to see a consultant first, surely a consultant should be making the decision whether I fit the critea and then apply for funding. I want to know this info as she is ringing me back tomorrow and I need to be armed with some information.

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 01:25:38 PM »

I think the link gives the criteria you have to meet in order for your case to be put to a panel for consideration.

Good luck!

Taz x

Rowan

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 03:27:51 PM »

lynn W I had Breast reduction on the NHS seven years ago, it was a very easy simple to get referred then. My GP was very good and very sympathetic, she referred me to Plastic Surgeon who agreed to put me on his lists.

Its a shame your GP did not do this because once you have been seen by a Plastic Surgeon Consultant, it really is straight forward from there and your local PCT will OK funding.

From the time I went to My GP until the operation it was about eight weeks.

They might have tightened the funding rules now, also in different areas the criteria may differ.

The only other option is to go private and many many women have and never regretted it. It is possible to spread the cost.

I really hope you are successful as it is one of the most rewarding operations Plastic Surgeons do, and one you won't regret.

lynn walker

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 01:42:33 PM »

I have now had a letter stating that my GP applied for funding and that they wont consider funding until my bmi is 20 to 25 for 1 year, it is currently 30. I still have not seen a consultant do you think I should insist on seeing a consultant.

Rowan

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 02:21:54 PM »

Unfortunately lynn, this is a criteria on the NHS .  Its unfair because if you go private they don't insist on this, I think this is a way of filtering out applications because of cutbacks.

It is very frustrating for women to hear this and very upsetting plus plus the BMI method of measuring body mass is being questioned now, but it is the NHS. If you have one breast bigger then the other, you stand a better chance of getting funding.

You could ask your GP to refer you to a plastic surgeon, if he is skilful in writing the letter, you could get an appointment.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 02:55:13 PM by silverlady »

Rowan

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2014, 02:32:06 PM »

Here is a very helpful site and forum, there are lots of British ladies who are members of the forum and can advise on funding with the NHS.

You have to join to view and post. I am a member.

http://www.breasthealthonline.org/forum/index

lynn walker

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2014, 01:32:08 PM »

Thankyou Silver Lady I have joined. I have also booked an appointment with my GP for Monday morning I think Im going to insist on seeing a consultant as that's what my shoulder consultant asked him to do  and I haven't seen one. Im just worried he will say there is no point as my BMI is 30. He said it was rejected and I need a BMI of 20 to 25 and that has to be for a year. Ive noticed on another website that it says they reject if its over 27 and Im sure that wouldn't be the only consideration. Surely they would take in to consideration a breast surgeons assessment,and if I do get the appointment I will make sure my BMI is as low as possible. This time last year I weight 14st 10lb and today I weigh 13st 3lb I don't intend to give up yet. Will let you know how I get on.

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2014, 05:14:52 PM »

Hi lynn w

Sorry to hear you are disappointed at the moment.

The BMI criteria for NHS treatment - or something similar - is sensible though, because if you are overweight, the extra fat is deposited on your breasts as everywhere else so maybe if your BMI was normal when you lose weight, you won't need the reduction, or at least the consultants can see whether they are in fact so large, enough to pose a problem for your health.

My daughter recently lost 2 stone in weight and this has had a dramatic effect on her breasts - she used to be large breasted and have to get bras from that large size place (bellissima or something like that) and most definitely is not now.

Well done with losing all that weight, and wishing you the very best of luck with your weight loss programme - you will find lots of support on here! Let's hope it means you won't have to have surgery.

Good luck with your GP visit anyway.

Hurdity x

Rowan

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2014, 06:23:33 PM »

I beg to differ, there are women on breasthealthonline who have lost the weight but have not seen a decrease in the size of their breasts, the assumption that that will work for all women is not true.

The lady who founded and runs BHO is Anni Bricca, lynn, I am sure she would advise you or any of the other ladies if you post on the forum.

As I said if you were to go privately this would not be a problem, I am under five foot and had a low BMI and my breaste were still 36 f and very large for my small frame, I was not over weight.

On BHO if you pay a small fee of £10 it will given you picture access,  you will see for yourself the many different size women who have had breast reductions, some very small slim ladies who have very big breasts, some over weight ladies who have had the operation with fantastic results.

The NHS criteria is all about funding and the cutbacks, when I had my breast reduction the criteria depended on your area, the luck of the draw, some PCT said you had to be below 28 others 30, I live in area where there are Teaching Hospitals and at the hospital where I had my op, they did on average about three a week, I expect now with the cutbacks and  change of policies  this won't be the case now.. Having to sustain the BMI required for a year is new! and I think its cruel, the irony is that if you went private, the guy who agrees to your op, could well be a Plastic Surgeon working for the NHS too, and restrained by guidelines.

Lynn losing weight will help with your health and your quest to have a breast reduction, but don't count on losing the weight in your breasts especially as an older woman, regardless of weight in menopause some ladies breasts shrink and others just get larger.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 07:45:53 PM by silverlady »

lynn walker

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2014, 10:54:16 AM »

Sitting here sobbing with frustration and anger, I have just got back from seeing the GP. I went armed with info about NHS guide lines from their website and he wouldn't even look at them. He said he applied for funding and they wont pay for it and would hardly let me get a word in edgeways I was in tears. I said but they haven't had an assessment from a surgeon and he basically said that wouldn't make a difference because its the gp who applies for funding. I disagreed with him and said its the surgeon but he was adamant that surgeons have no say in the decision. I still insisted on seeing a breast surgeon and he said he would ask one to see me (Mr Durrani) at Addenbrookes I think, but it wont make any difference as the PCT have refused. I did tell him that I had spoken on here to someone who has got funding and they said that they saw a breast surgeon and the funding was applied for from him but he still wasn't having any of it. Basically if the PCT say no then its no whether I have an assessment or not. :bang:    :'(

Rowan

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2014, 03:13:14 PM »

I am so sorry lynn, have you spoken to any of the UK girls on breastthealthonline, some of them have had the same problems as you as far as funding is concerned.

I didn't know that the GP applied for funding, all I know is that my GP said she would refer me to a plastic Surgeon, I got a letter with the appointment, saw the Plastic Surgeon Consultant, he examined me and then said he would put me on his lists. This was in 2007, the rules must have changed, and as I said PCTs have different priorities.

Is there anyway you can go private, I know that they have Payment Plans for plastic surgery, almost sure the Spire hospitals do. If I had not had my op on the NHS I was going to apply for a loan from my bank.

I really understand your pain and frustration, I have even signed a government online petition for breast reductions to be allowed on the NHS.. a while back.

lynn walker

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2014, 04:37:30 PM »

Thanks for the reply Silver Lady, yes Im getting support from the breasthealthonline site. I am going to wait until Ive seen the surgeon whenever that will be, the gp was so unhelpfull. On the website for Addenbrookes breast clinic (which is not in my area, but I have chosen to go there) it says that I should be given an appointment within 2 weeks of them getting the referral but it will probably take the old dinosaur of a gp ages to send the letter. He didn't even mention appealing just brushed me off with the fact that the PCT denied and that's the end of it, so Im hoping that with an assessment I will try to appeal, if I am able to. If not I will then look at going private, but as I don't work as I wouldn't be able to hold down a job I doubt I would get a loan. I so wish I could get this sorted and get my life back and get back into work even if its only part time Im 53 and not on the scrapheap yet. Will let you know how I get on and thanks so much for your help and advise.

Rowan

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2014, 04:44:35 PM »

Lynn make sure he does write and send the letter, you have to keep on top of this so do check. x
Pages: [1] 2