Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Hello from a Newbie :)  (Read 4477 times)

hough

Hello from a Newbie :)
« on: December 19, 2013, 09:41:12 PM »

Hello, I have just joined this group and would like to tell you a bit about me and to ask your advice.

OK, I am 39 years old and am peri-menopausal  :( Luckily I have two beautiful children, so my family is complete :) I have not had my periods for quite some time.  I have had numerous hormone blood tests which have shown to be all over the place which would coincide with the menopause, also I am experiencing several symptoms - weight gain, hot flushes, night sweats and insomnia.  My symptoms are bearable, but my GP wants me to take HRT (Prempak C) as due to my age I am putting myself at a higher risk of osteoporosis, so to prevent this she has suggested I take the HRT along with a calcium and vitamin D supplement.  What are your views on HRT please as to be honest it scares the hell out of me.

Hurdity

Re: Hello from a Newbie :)
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 10:01:49 PM »

Hi hough

Just to say  :welcomemm: and sorry to hear you are already going through the menopause.

However as your doctor has said, you really should take HRT as soon as you can to protect your bones and numerous other health benefits. If you read up on the informaton on this site (MENU ON LEFT) you will see that the risks of taking HRT do not begin to count until you reach the average age of natural menopause which is 51, and also even up until the age of 60 the benefits exceed the risks.

Personally given a choice I would not start with Prempak especially at your age since it consists of equine oestrogens (from horses) and a synthetic progestogen. Since you should be taking it for a long time I would strongly suggest taking a type that is body identical ( ie to the hormones our own body makes) but I can also see the convenience of a pill is attractive.

Have a look at the HRT types on the left
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/perimeno.php

and we can advise on the different types if you need any help, as between us we have had lots of experience.

Hope this helps

Hurdity x

hough

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 10:17:48 PM »

Thank you for your reply heredity and for the helpful information.  I have only just had my registration confirmed, so I will have a read through the docs you have suggested tomorrow.  I am sure I will be back with lots of questions from you all.   Many thanks Liz  ::)

hough

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 10:20:30 PM »

**** Sorry **** Hurdity   ;D

hough

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 06:55:37 PM »

Is anyone taking Prempak C?  I am curious to know as I wanted to ask :sigh: how much you pay for it.  Basically, because it contains two tablets (from day 17) the pharmacist said that it equates to two prescriptions therefore I have to pay for two prescriptions to get this item.  Is this correct?  Thanks Liz  :sigh:

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2013, 07:32:21 PM »

Yes unfortunately it is. Lots of us have got caught out by this. A continuous HRT is only one charge because it is one product but a sequi one contains two products so you get charged for both of them.

Taz x

scriv

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2013, 03:21:49 AM »

Hi Hough - welcome to the club.  ;)

I also had an early menopause at 39 and would agree with what Hurdity has said.

I agree with your doctor that you should start HRT now to protect yourself - I am now 60 and don't regret HRT at all -  but  I think the bio identical forms are much better.

It can take a time to find the best preparation for you, but you will find lots of support on here to help you through.

Happy Christmas,

Scriv x

Cassie

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2013, 06:33:53 AM »

I went through early meno way under age of 40, best for you would be bio identical so ask your gynae for something like the Oestrogel or a patch, something that goes in via the skin and then a natural progesterone like Utrogestan. As far as I know Prempak is def one of the older HRTs and I would not like to be taking it for so many years, as you will have to be on HRT for a lot longer than the average woman,  the other combination works so much better when used over such a long period of time, with less side effects and in my opinion is safer and more natural. All the best in your journey.

andius

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2013, 06:20:46 AM »

I know plenty of women who take or have taken the Premarin type hormones and like(d) them.

My own mother and grandmother took them into their 80's with no problems.  That said, some women do have problems.  I believe they are stronger and probably better suited to younger menopausal  or post hysterectomy women who need replacement before menopause. However, there are more lower doses available now than 10 years ago.  I don't recall if you mentioned your dose. Also, the amount in your blood isn't as easily measurable as with the patch dose, so docs tend to go by symptom relief regarding dosage.

Patches are more gentle and usually lower doses for those of us in menopause who don't need so much in the way of hormones. We don't need our hormones to be what they were at 35! Lots of young hysterectomy women have to take 2 patches to get enough hormones for them if they choose this route.
Some younger women take a low dose birth control type pill until they reach menopause age.

Some women do prefer the premarin type hormones for symptom relief and they have been around for a long time. Don't be afraid!   You could just get on something now, and then after you have a chance to evaluate the effects, try to get your doctor to switch you to something you would rather try. A 3 month trial of Prempak C likely won't hurt you and may prove very helpful. I think doctors are so wary of prescribing hormones and wonder if you make it difficult for them by being too picky, they may not be very forthcoming to work with you on it. Only you know what is best for you though.  Good luck!

Just noticed a member Chattygal was on prempak C for 15 years and has recently switched to gel in 60's...maybe she will pop in to give her thoughts, or you could PM her?

Andius
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 06:25:37 AM by andius »

chattygal

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2014, 07:52:24 PM »

Hi Hough

I am 63 and have been taking HRT since I was 40.I was on Prempak C .625 for most of that time and had no problems with it. However my doctor suggested that it was time that I didn't have a monthly bleed and put me on a continuous HRT which caused breakthrough bleeding almost continually. I went for a scan on my womb and it was a little thicker than is normal so I was sent for a hysteroscopy to make sure that there was nothing bad going on. The Gynae doctor said that all was fine but suggested that the thickening could have been caused by the fact I had been on Prempak C with the monthly bleed for so long but wouldn't say that this was a definite. Anyway I had a Mirena coil fitted as he said it would thin the womb lining and stop it building up again and I use Estradot 50 as the oestogen. I have continuous breakthrough bleeding which is a pest but I have been told this is normal and I keep thinking it must be my womb lining being thinned out so will see how things go. Although Prempak C is one of the older HRT's it suited me fine although I did get PMT some months. My bone density is good and I am sure that the HRT has helped with this but I can understand your fears. I could not cope with the sleep loss due to sweats and flushes and I was so bad I could never use a hairdryer to dry my hair as the heat made me sweat so badly I ended up with sweaty hair  :-X  For me it came down to quality of life. Good luck with your decision making and it's your life so you have the last word