Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dry eye  (Read 11582 times)

Pauline

Dry eye
« on: December 19, 2013, 03:29:51 PM »

Hello everyone. Sorry not to have posted for a while. We have had a rollercoaster with Andrew's dialysis but things seem to be going better now.
I have recently been diagnosed by the ophthalmologist as having "dry eye". Does anyone here have it? I ask because she says it can be caused by hormonal change!!! What can't?!!
I have been using artificial tears but would like some that are preservative free for long term use. Can anyone advise?
Thanks and have a great Christmas.
Pauline

honeybun

Re: Dry eye
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 03:43:33 PM »

Sorry I can't advise on what to use but it has been talked about before on the forum. It has been thought to be linked to hormones or lack of.

My mother has this and I think she uses Viscotears. I get it sometimes too and use Optrex itchy eye drops.

I am sure someone else will be able to help you more.

Honeyb
x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 04:39:13 PM »

My cocker spaniel had 'dry eye' and it's common in Westies  ::) - it has a long name which of course I can't remember  ;)

"Keratoconjunctivitis sicca " - she required special ointment every day, of course, it went onto the floor because she would move her head and of course, it was very expensive  ;D

Rowan

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 04:42:43 PM »

scriv

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 06:27:21 PM »

Yes, I have ' dry eye' too. There are some preservative free drops on the market. I was given some to try by my optician and they were really good, but unfortunately I can't remember their name. So it would be worthwhile asking your optician.

meno lesley

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 08:08:36 PM »

I use tears naturale which are quite good. If I reduce my hrt my eyes get very dry - definitely hormone related I reckon.

Lesley x

Smokey

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2013, 08:57:52 PM »

I have dry eye too and have tried viscotears etc but the best solution I found is to hold hot paper towel or cotton wool using boiled water not too hot but hot enough over eyes every morning this seems to unblock tear ducts in eye, and feels really good!

Hope this helps

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2013, 09:13:30 PM »

My eyes itch a lot usually first thing and in the evenings  :-\

skkb

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2013, 09:01:48 AM »

A friend has suffered from dry eyes for years, it got worse when she came off her. Her eyes are red and sore and can look really angry. After trying numerous drops from the doctor and optician it has now been suggested that her tear ducts are blocked by having a small operation and this stops tears from draining away and keeps the eyes more moist. She is deciding whether to try this!!

clio

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2013, 09:19:10 PM »

Hi pauline, what are ur symptons??

Clio x

Pauline

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2013, 05:52:23 PM »

Thanks for that, ladies. I am seeing the optician again tomorrow and she will re-assess. I am hoping to get the preservative free drops for long term use but will try the hot compresses as well.
Have a great Christmas and don't be defined by your menopausal gremlins!!

Limpy

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2013, 07:25:40 PM »

The hot / warmish compresses work well.

Pauline

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2013, 06:57:17 PM »

Well dry eyes still a problem. Got some different drops from the optician - viscotears and lacrilube at night. I also have a dry crusty nose with small nosebleeds at times. Little saliva and a dry mouth. GP next week as I am a bit concerned about Sjogrens syndrome which, according to a friend of mine, can give similar symptoms. Oh well. Another thing to worry about!
Hope you all had a pleasant Christmas. All the best for 2014.

clio

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2013, 07:48:09 PM »

maybe you have developed allergies!! When I started on the change I developed allergies, my eyes drive me mad, I take antihistimines, eyes been loads better. Just a thought!

Eddie

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2014, 12:01:16 PM »

Hi Pauline. I was treated for years for Sjogrens, dry eyes, mouth, nose and other places. The only preservative free eye drops are the ones in the little vials. I use systane. They are great. The doc will only usually give you them if you say that the bottled ones sting. Lacrilube is great for overnight but very oily. Has optom done schirmers test?
Eddie. X
Pages: [1] 2