Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175 ... 187

Author Topic: utrogestan/estrogel support group  (Read 730755 times)

Cassie

Re: utrogestan/estrogel support group
« Reply #2580 on: April 08, 2021, 10:41:22 AM »

Use it vaginally, safer option.

Gnatty

« Reply #2581 on: April 08, 2021, 08:42:39 PM »

My understanding was that utrogestan does not raise risk of blood clots. I think I found this on Louise Newson's website. Menopause Doctor. There are a huge amount of very informative podcasts and leaflets. It's well worth a look especially when just setting out on the HRT path.

loonarider

« Reply #2582 on: May 20, 2021, 10:29:17 AM »

My understanding was that utrogestan does not raise risk of blood clots. I think I found this on Louise Newson's website. Menopause Doctor. There are a huge amount of very informative podcasts and leaflets. It's well worth a look especially when just setting out on the HRT path.

Hi there, sorry for late reply. Yes, jsut watched a Davina McCall docu with Dr Louise Newson featuring. I also downloaded the breathe menopause app created by her and up for an award apparently. On the app it says that utrogestran poses no increase risk of clots since it's body identical. I'm learning lot's there (including here) and it's evidence baswed which put's my mind at ease.

https://www.menopausedoctor.co.uk/menopause/can-i-take-hrt-if-i-have-a-risk-of-a-blood-clot

Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 10:33:26 AM by loonarider »

Ainat666

• First Flush
« Reply #2583 on: May 20, 2021, 12:08:03 PM »

Hello, I have been reading through this forum for a couple of years.  It was due to information gained from here that I asked my GP to prescribe Sandrena 1.5mg & Utrogestan 100mg. I had tried several forms of HRT and felt worse. My GP prescribed the Utrogestan 100mg continuously as I was post menopausal. I am 54.

I have been on this regime for approx 2 years. Last summer I was sent for a scan as I had had 2 bleeds approx 5 months apart. The scan was clear. I had another bleed in April which lasted approx 20 days, very light at first, then heavy finishing off light.

Went to my GP, the only way she would let me stay on the Sandrena & Utrogestan was to reduce Sandrena to 1mg. After 20 days my anxiety levels, irritability, return of sweats, etc were unbearable. I completed an econsult and whilst waiting have returned to 1.5mg Sandrena dose.

My GP doesn’t know a lot about Sandrena & Utrogestan as she doesn’t usually prescribe these. Sandrena/Utrogestan have been a HRT saviour for me and I don’t want to be moved onto something else.

Is there any other way I could take Utrogestan to stop the breakthrough bleeding?

julie55

• I'm in here somewhere
« Reply #2584 on: May 20, 2021, 05:17:30 PM »

Hi just to reassure I'm factor 5 v Linden clotting disorder im on transdermal oestrogel and miconised progesterone utrogestan 9 years post 100mg utrogestan vaginal everynight and I'm on 2 pumps oestrogel not sure if I should up the dose as the utrogestan affects my ears, tinnitus that my only problem makes my ears feel blocking crackle

pepperminty

« Reply #2585 on: May 20, 2021, 05:27:55 PM »

Hi Aina666,

i do not know the answer to your question, but hopefully someone will be long soon with advice. Also it may be worth looking up louise Newson's website for info.

PMX

just found the below:
 The majority of women who bleed when they are taking HRT do not have underlying pathology
Vaginal bleeding is a very common side effect of taking HRT. Bleeding usually settles within the first three to six months of starting HRT. Every time the dose of HRT is increased, or the type of HRT is changed, then bleeding can occur. Pathology is more likely in women who have heavy and prolonged bleeding and women who have bleeding beyond 6 months despite modifying their progestogen intake or where there is a concern about the clinical presentation or bleeding amount / pattern should be investigated appropriately10.

For the majority of women experiencing bleeding, changing their progestogen often controls bleeding. The dose of Utrogestan can increase to 200mg each evening (or 300mg for two out of four nights if taking cyclically). An alternative progestogen such as medroxyprogesterone acetate (MPA) (5-10mg each day or 20mg cyclically) can often effectively reduce bleeding.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 05:30:56 PM by pepperminty »

Ainat666

• First Flush
« Reply #2586 on: May 20, 2021, 07:00:53 PM »

Hi Pepperminty,

Thank you very much for this information.

I have a consultation booked with my GP on 1st June. I will try & guide her to trying a change my Utrogestan regime. My GP wants to change HRT as bleeding is out of the accepted timeframe, whereas I would rather tweak the regime I am on as I felt so much better on 1.5mg of Sandrena.

X

Noheroicsplease

« Reply #2587 on: May 27, 2021, 03:15:15 PM »

Hello,

I've just returned to HRT after 18 months off. I'm on 100mg Utrogestan daily and 2 x pumps of Estrogel.

My sleep is transformed...but I feel sleepier in the day. Is this likely to be the utrogestan? I have no other side effects. Does it settle or is this 'a thing?'

sheila99

« Reply #2588 on: May 27, 2021, 04:32:56 PM »

Hello,

My sleep is transformed...but I feel sleepier in the day. Is this likely to be the utrogestan? I have no other side effects. Does it settle or is this 'a thing?'
Very likely to be the utro and I haven't found it settled. You could try vaginally if you don't already.

sheila99

« Reply #2589 on: May 27, 2021, 04:38:23 PM »

Hi Pepperminty,

Thank you very much for this information.

I have a consultation booked with my GP on 1st June. I will try & guide her to trying a change my Utrogestan regime. My GP wants to change HRT as bleeding is out of the accepted timeframe, whereas I would rather tweak the regime I am on as I felt so much better on 1.5mg of Sandrena.

X
If this is the amount of oestrogen you feel good on you need to find a way round the utro problem rather than reducing oestrogen. Apart from increasing utro other options would using it as a long cycle sequi regime (so you bleed a very 6 weeks) or changing the progestogin. A mirena coil is pretty much guaranteed to sort it out.

Lamplighter

« Reply #2590 on: May 27, 2021, 09:07:35 PM »

Noheroicsplease, just wanted to say that I am on the same HRT regime as you, and found that switching to taking the Utrogestan at night solved the problem of drowsiness/fatigue during the day.  It acts almost like a sleeping pill for me (quite pleasant) and I am sleeping better as a result. 

Perhaps you could try changing the timing and see how that goes?

Good luck xx

LL

Noheroicsplease

« Reply #2591 on: May 28, 2021, 05:17:22 AM »

Hi @Lamplighter - I do take it at night. Just before bed. It's been amazing for sleep. But I feel like I am drowsy in the day now.
 x

Howellis

• First Flush
« Reply #2592 on: May 28, 2021, 05:27:16 AM »

Hi I’m new to the forum, my GP prescribed Utrogetsan and OEstrodose/gel
She said to take the Utrogestan one before bed and the gel 1 pump daily to see how it goes. Well it’s been a week, I’ve tried it for a week and I’ve stopped taking it now.
I’ve had the worst nausea I’ve ever had in my life, I’ve had the worst headache I’ve ever had. It’s absolutely horrendous. I’d rather have a hot flush... I’m really put of HRT now which is a shame because I was so positive about it... I’m going to try natural remedies and more gym classes... currently been nursing a headache since 3am this morning... 😩

Lamplighter

« Reply #2593 on: May 28, 2021, 08:33:42 AM »

Noheroicsplease, well bang goes that theory  ;D.  It's a pain being fatigued during the day, so I suppose you need to weigh up the pros and cons of it all.  Nothing straightforward with this menopause experience is there?  xxx

Howellis, sounds like you're having a terrible reaction to something (quite likely the utrogestan, judging by the number of people on here who have adverse reactions to it) which really is a shame as you say.  Perhaps a different combination of HRT might help?  I've been through several different sorts before settling on the one I'm on now (same as you) and was amazed at how different the effects of each were.  Good luck with whatever you decide xxx

LL

Joaniepat

« Reply #2594 on: May 28, 2021, 02:15:12 PM »

Hi I’m new to the forum, my GP prescribed Utrogetsan and OEstrodose/gel
She said to take the Utrogestan one before bed and the gel 1 pump daily to see how it goes. Well it’s been a week, I’ve tried it for a week and I’ve stopped taking it now.
I’ve had the worst nausea I’ve ever had in my life, I’ve had the worst headache I’ve ever had. It’s absolutely horrendous. I’d rather have a hot flush... I’m really put of HRT now which is a shame because I was so positive about it... I’m going to try natural remedies and more gym classes... currently been nursing a headache since 3am this morning... 😩
Hello Howellis, welcome to the Forum. What a shame! Perhaps it is the Utrogestan making you feel sick. Could you not try using it vaginally, thus bypassing the stomach? I'm no expert on Utrogestan as I don't have to use it, but it seems a pity to have to give up after a week when you were so positive about starting.

JP x
Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175 ... 187