Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 187

Author Topic: utrogestan/estrogel support group  (Read 736442 times)

dazned

Re: utrogestan/estrogel support group
« Reply #195 on: June 06, 2015, 08:09:27 PM »

Thanks Hurdity !  :)

Dandelion

question
« Reply #196 on: June 11, 2015, 11:01:17 AM »

Why do people use oestrogel when there are patches that go upto 100mcg dose?
Was just curious, thanks

Dancinggirl

« Reply #197 on: June 11, 2015, 02:10:57 PM »

Oestrogel gives you more flexibility when it comes to dosage - so you can experiment with finding the exact amount you need for relief of symptoms; for example, I've managed to get my dosage down to one pump plus a little bit each day.  Also if you are allergic to the glue with the patches, the gel is an alternative. I tried using patches for a while but didn't like them as I found I got a big hit of hormones on the first day or so and then it wore off quite quickly so I felt as though I was on a roller coaster of highs and lows with my hormones. I have just got used to using the gel and find it great - I now have my shower before bed and apply it to inner thighs allow it to dry for 5-10mins.  Like all HRT regimes it's about finding what works for you. Many women love the fact you only have to change the patch twice a week and then forget about it. DG x

Dandelion

« Reply #198 on: June 15, 2015, 12:31:30 AM »

Oestrogel gives you more flexibility when it comes to dosage - so you can experiment with finding the exact amount you need for relief of symptoms; for example, I've managed to get my dosage down to one pump plus a little bit each day.  Also if you are allergic to the glue with the patches, the gel is an alternative. I tried using patches for a while but didn't like them as I found I got a big hit of hormones on the first day or so and then it wore off quite quickly so I felt as though I was on a roller coaster of highs and lows with my hormones. I have just got used to using the gel and find it great - I now have my shower before bed and apply it to inner thighs allow it to dry for 5-10mins.  Like all HRT regimes it's about finding what works for you. Many women love the fact you only have to change the patch twice a week and then forget about it. DG x
Hi DG

Thanks for the helpful info.

donnacrichton

« Reply #199 on: June 22, 2015, 06:59:36 PM »

Been on just under three pumps for 4 weeks now and bleeding and arousal feeling have disappeared along with breast tenderness a few days ago. Hot flushes and tears have become a problem trying to take it a day at a time. Is this likely to ease or have levels possibly gone too low x

Peterspots

« Reply #200 on: January 26, 2016, 06:43:04 PM »

How many pumps would equal the same amount as estradot 50

Mary G

« Reply #201 on: January 26, 2016, 07:51:43 PM »

Generally speaking, 2 pumps of gel is about the equivalent of a 50mcg patch but it depends on the individual and how well you absorb each product.  Some people find that 1 pump of gel is enough if they have been using a 50mcg patch. 

Peterspots

« Reply #202 on: January 26, 2016, 07:56:29 PM »

Thank you. I have the option to use a patch or oestrogel with urgogesteran every day. The dirty makes left by the patch put me off.

Mary G

« Reply #203 on: January 26, 2016, 08:01:39 PM »

I didn't like those either! 

Cassie

« Reply #204 on: January 26, 2016, 08:03:19 PM »

Much prefer the gel its nice and cool in summer as well....:) not such fun rubbing it in in Winter but works a treat. :)

Goosieloosie

« Reply #205 on: January 27, 2016, 01:33:09 PM »

Could someone please advise me on how to take Utrogestan?? Yesterday my GP prescribed Estradot 50 and Utrogestan 100mg and I am due to collect them from the chemist this afternoon (who had to order them), my GP didn't have a clue about dosages or anything as I had written it down for her from info gathered on here what the usual dosages are 200mg x 12 days or 100mg x 25 days. I don't know which one I should do?? I am 54 & 17 months menopausal and have been on 2 previous conti regimes (Evorel & Femseven patches) neither were suitable and I am still suffering with breakthrough bleeding, I am actually bleeding at the moment even though I am not on a cycle and was due to change my Femseven patch last night but left it on as I didn't have the Estradot or Utro prescriptions filled. So how will I take it?? I would like to apply the Estradot patch only just to feel the benefits of the oestrogen only for a couple of weeks and to get the synthetic progestins out of my system before starting the Utrogestan but this would mean having a cycle wouldn't it?? Could I do that for one month and have a bleed at the end then to see how i go then maybe next month take it for 25 days ? Or is this messing my system around too much? I did ask the pharmacist yesterday but she got her book out and just read what it said which was what I already knew!! Would I dare take 100mg only for 12 days for one month only to see how I am with it or is this risky with a 50 patch?I'm so confused as to what to do especially as I'm breakthrough bleeding at the mo  :-\

Mary G

« Reply #206 on: January 27, 2016, 01:55:38 PM »

If it was me, I would very definitely use the patch only for a month to get the full benefit of the oestrogen and to gauge how it works and whether it is the right dose.  I would not want to take that much Utrogestan but that is partly because I am severely intolerant to all types of synthetic progestins.  Why have your been prescribed so much?  Are you trying to avoid periods (I wouldn't blame you) or is that just what the doctor prescribed?

I am also 54 and taking 2 pumps of oestrogel every day, 1 tiny bead of testosterone, 25mg DHEA tablet every day and 100mg of Utrogestan vaginally for 7 days every month.  I can only speak for myself here but that is minimum amount of Utrogestan required to do the job and my latest womb scan, literally taken at the end of my last period, showed a lining of only 2mm so it must be enough.  My oestrogen blood levels are sky high too and still it was enough although I think perhaps it proves Utrogestan is much more powerful when used vaginally. 

I must stress that we are all different and not everyone will have the same reaction to Utrogestan as me but I thought some might find it interesting and food for thought.  It's worth having regular scans to avoid taking too much progesterone.

Hurdity

« Reply #207 on: January 27, 2016, 02:55:56 PM »

Hi Goosieloosie

You have been prescribed the standard licensed dose of utrogestan (as you say - the info is on this site) so that's correct - as long as you are OK with it!

I would do exactly as you suggest - start with (at least) two weeks (well 16 days) of oestrogen only and then do the 12 days utrogestan and see how you go - then try the 25 days out of 28 - if you got breakthrough bleeding on the conti patch then just doing the 25 days will enable your body to have a small bleed if there is any build-up.  If you intend to use it vaginally you will probably be able to go longer than a 4 week cycle. If you can't tolerate the utrogestan most of the time then a cycle would be the way to go.

I am on exactly your combo and have been on this more or less exactly for 4.5 years. I have varied my cycle from 5 - 8 weeks and have gone back to two-monthly. I use Utrogestan 200 mg x 12-13 days vaginally every two months and I get a good bleed. Various scans I have had have been OK so I am confident that this regime works for me and is not causing my womb lining to thicken.

Personally I would always start by taking the licensed amount and take it from there.

Good luck and do keep us posted! :)

Hurdity x

Goosieloosie

« Reply #208 on: January 27, 2016, 04:06:57 PM »

Thank you for that Hurdity & Mary. So initially should I take the licensed dose of 200 mg for 12 days or would it be ok to try 100 mg for 12 days to see how I fair..or will that not be enough to keep my womb thin (this way just for the first time)? Also when using the 200 vaginally do you insert 2 x 100 capsules?? Stupid question really as I assume it would have to be? Yes most definitely i will keep you posted, I am crossing everything that this works for me  ;)

Peterspots

« Reply #209 on: January 29, 2016, 06:48:24 AM »

Has anyone taken the urtrogestan every day as I am? 
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 187