Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Recently fitted Mirena for HRT  (Read 5285 times)

chattygal

Recently fitted Mirena for HRT
« on: December 07, 2013, 12:14:27 PM »

I am 63 and had the Mirena fitted about 6 weeks ago after a Hysteroscopy as my womb lining is a little thickened(7cms). I was on Prempak C for 15 years so the gynae doctor thought that maybe this contributed to the womb thickening as I was still have a monthly bleed. I opted for the coil plus oestrogen gel as he seemed to think that was a good option for a woman my age. The positives of this is I feel human again and am able to cope with arguing grandchildren without "losing it" and I am sleeping so much better and deeper. I feel I can now cope with life!!! The downside is the constant brownish discharge. The doctor said it is normal and can last for 6 months or forever so my question is is there anyone out there,my age group, on Mirena and gel and have they got the same side effects?? As a "problem" it is really almost unimportant as I feel so well.

Dyan

Re: Recently fitted Mirena for HRT
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 05:37:53 PM »

Hi chatty gal

I'm 52 and have had mirena for 5 years and using sandrena gel.
At first I had small bleeds with the mirena which lasted a few months.
I'm on my second mirena and very happy with both that and the gel.

Someone might be a long soon who's in the age group to give you more info :)

Dyan x

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 06:43:45 PM »

Hi Chatty gal - I'm just pleased to read that at 63 you are being prescribed HRT having had to come off mine due to almost reaching 60. This gives more fuel to the discussion I am to have with my doc in January!!

Taz x

Jane44

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 07:27:22 PM »

Certainly hot foot it down there Taz !! My friend is a GP and says most definetly she will be renewing her Mirena and using oestrogen supplements when she gets to meno. I worked with a gyne consultant who said his mother was 92 and was still on HRT !! He thought women were crazy not to take HRT as by rights we shouldn't be living beyond meno !!! Yes he admitted that his mother did get breast cancer age 72 but with modern medicine that wasn't going to kill her.. But heart disease and hip fractures and dementia probably would have done had she not had HRT !!! So get down there Taz.. Yes I think the brown discharge is a pain but it will settle am sure, I had a paraguard (normal copper ) and still had brown discharge it fell out in March this year and still have occasionally brown discharge before and around ovulation. Just wish they would all stop once and for all.... Gpod luck girls x

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, 06:08:19 PM »

Wow chattygirl that's amazing! I haven't come across anyone else on here (I don't think) who is still bleeding in their 60's - but of course you will stop eventually! I still opt to have a bleed (every 6 weeks) because I don't like being on progesterone all the time (I am 60), and my doc and gynae (who I was referred to for some investigations) is happy for me to continue as well. Gynae did try to give me a Mirena but I refused but I can see it is a tremendous advantage if you can tolerate it.

My I ask what dose of oestrogel you are using?

Good luck with the doc Taz!

Hurdity x

chattygal

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2013, 06:45:39 PM »

Hi Hurdity

I am using Sandrena gel 1.0 mg. When I go for my next check up I will talk to the doc about possibly reducing to .5 mg as even when I was on the monthly bleed HRT it was only .625 of oestrogen and with trans dermal you are supposed to need a lower dose. If I didn't have this brown discharge,which at times is quite bloody,I would be really happy but hearing that it is normal and doesn't last forever is quite encouraging. The feeling of being back in charge of my life is amazing 

andius

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 06:32:32 AM »

http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,23408.0.html

Hi Chattygal:

A new member has recently been given Prempak C at age 39 and questioning whether she should take it.

Could you possibly pop in the thread above and offer some support/thoughts on your experience since you took it for quite a while?

So glad to hear you are feeling better on your new hrt regimen!

Thanks,

Andius