Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Health Anxiety Books  (Read 3409 times)

libby1

Health Anxiety Books
« on: November 21, 2013, 08:52:59 AM »

Hi Girls

Has anyone read any good selfhelp books on health anxiety? I'm still really suffering with this  :'(  Does it get better after menopause? I'm still in peri (3 years now) and I lurch from one thing to worry about to another  :(

Libby
x

Rowan

Re: Health Anxiety Books
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 09:49:08 AM »

The best ones I know are Claire Weekes-  "Self Help for Your Nerves" and "More Help for Your Nerves"

http://www.claireweekes.com.au/

You can get them on amazon.

Ju Ju

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 09:54:40 AM »

I was told by a life coach, who has really helped me, that worries about health and phobias were caused by the fear of death. As part of a bereavement course I have done, I had to plan my own funeral and tell those close to me what my wishes were. Sounds horrible, but we all found it a rather healing process to start facing our own mortality. A book I have found wonderful, when I feel anxious, is called 'Dying to Live' by Anita Moorjani. It is about her experience of near death, which I find reassuring and I feel enabled to enjoy life now despite dealing with health issues.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 10:24:16 AM »

I take a beta-blocka to stop anxiety surges as well as 'emergency' tablets when necessary.  No amount of reading, talking etc. helped stop that awful lurch.  I did find relaxation therapy helpful, when I remembered to practice  ::)

Even knowing that it is the auto-something response to 'danger', i.e. routes back to the sabre tooth tiger days which our brains have never gotten used to.  Flight or fight response.

Have a talk with your GP about short-term anti anxiety medication.

Mrs Bennet

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 05:22:28 PM »

Hi Libby only just read your post, I can so relate to how you feel, google No More Panic they have some info on health anxiety, I am giving St John's Wort a go on the advice of my GP to see if it helps. Hope you feel good soonest Love Mrs B xx

libby1

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 07:09:08 PM »

Thanks girls

It always gets worse at this time of year  :-\

No more panic looks really interesting Mrs B  :)  I will read through it, thank you  ;)

Libby
x