Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Cosmetic produres  (Read 15217 times)

honeybun

Re: Cosmetic produres
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2013, 02:14:01 PM »

If I look in a mirror and look a mess it brings my mood down. You don't have to spend much to make yourself feel better. I just try to make the best of what I have got.
Bubbly bath with candles. Nails done, hair cut regularly. It's the little things that make a difference.

Honeyb
X

Well for me anyway  :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2013, 02:16:32 PM »

Chin - no hairs
Evening bubble bath with good book
Good night's sleep
Fresh air and sunshine
DH cooking tea ............ (we had a thread about all this somewhere  ::)  :-\ )

If I had pots of money I would have my hair washed and my feet pampered daily  ;)

littleminnie

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2013, 02:50:47 PM »

I agree Honeybun, but I use a tanning moisturiser too. I feel better when I have a tan.

Tabbycat

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2013, 06:29:23 PM »

Regards your wanting to tattoo your eyebrows, have you tried having eyebrows tinted?  Many have tried to get me to do it, as I'm very fair, but I have resisted.  However, I've seen folk who have had it done & it looks good.  My son's girlfriend got a procedure done, not sure what it is,  but it's not tattooing. She used to pull her eyebrows out, until she had virtually nothing left.  She gets it redone every few weeks or so, though I believe tattooing lasts for much longer. Her eyes look much more defined now.

My eyebrows are already very dark so I don't think that would help. Over the past few years, they've got very sparse and thin (and stupidly long!) and i hate them! I'd never heard of eyebrow tattooing till a couple of weeks ago when someone mentioned their friend had it done and it looked great. I was intrigued enough to have a look at some photos on the internet, and some of them are really impressive.

(BTW, I didn't think you were having a go at me, Cubagirl, don't worry.  :)  I  just wanted to stay on topic. I'm quite happy to have a debate on the ethics of cosmetic enhancement but maybe we should have a separate thread for it.)

Joyce

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2013, 10:37:14 PM »

Son's GF is dark too. Her eyebrows were virtually nonexistent previously.  Since she's been getting them done, she has nice full shaped brows. However, they don't last for long, maybe 4 weeks or so.

Hurdity

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2013, 11:04:12 PM »

Shows how much I know. When I read about eyebrow tattoing I thought you meant getting a tattoo (ie a patterned one) on your eyebrows and was wondering where on earth you would put it and it seemed such a weird thing to do. I came to the conclusion that it would have to go on the area of skin where you pluck the eyebrow hairs out ie underneath the plucked eyebrow! ;D

If it's just doing a line for your eyebrow - then can't see that is much of a procedure.

Re other procedures - I am all for making the most of yourself and doing the little things to make yourself feel good - as honeybun suggests, eyebrows, hair, skin, figure, clothes, HRT etc but when it comes to anything else I am sad that anyone feels they want to turn the clock back and try to retain their youth by anything more intrusive, and especially that society makes us feel that way, and does not value the beauty of age and wisdom. Diet, exercise and fresh air helps the figure. Buy clothes to flatter. Colour your hair. Have a good hair cut. Feel good about yourself and remember to smile and laugh. The procedures are so artificial, expensive - and well - there are more important things in life like good health. I could not justify this in today's world and would not want to bolstered by so much artifice - just a little ;D

Tabbycat - you asked for opinions - and mine probably won't be very popular!

Hurdity x

honeybun

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2013, 11:20:35 PM »

My daughter has very fair eyebrows and has them tinted. They look very natural but being a bit darker give her face more definition.
I would have mine done if the start to go grey.

No tattoos for me I am a coward  ;D

Honeyb
X

Rowan

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2013, 10:16:48 AM »

Marilyn Monroe was and still is adored by millions by both men and women, she had cosmetic surgery and also used hormone creams on her face.

I have never read anywhere a detrimental remark about this.

I know for a fact that ordinary women have cosmetic surgery, not to look glamorous or young but to correct a facial feature that has caused them to be unhappy and the afterward to be a changed woman. I have worked for a short time in this setting and have seen it for myself.

I also have had some procedures and (paid for by myself I hasten to add) and was money very well spent, and no one but myself would know or even guess. I certainly don't feel ashamed in fact quite the contrary, I had the courage corrected some things that I was unhappy with and now I don't give it a thought anymore, It take me about 10 mins to get ready, I am happy with what I see in the mirror and I feel confident to go.
I also don't wear make up except mascara, have never worn lipstick and have never thought I needed to. I have often been told this.

I don't drink or smoke and don't go on holiday, and in todays world I don't have many carbon footprints as I did in the past.

Artificer is artifice whether its makeup, hair colour etc... procedures (self improvement) are no different just don't wash off.

I have known quite a few plastic surgeons and they have all said that cosmetic surgery is one of the most rewarding of surgeries to do as the change in their patients is so marked, even the most minor of procedures.

A friend of mine has just had the all of her teeth removed and replaced with fabulous implants, she look wonderful and is so happy with the result, this is cosmetic dentistry, no different to any other cosmetic procedure, why would anyone be against, if you have the money its your own business what you spend it on

If you are prepared to take the risks its your own affair, most women do not go in lightly into it have done research for years before they go ahead, this is what I have been told and was my experience too.

Women have choices to age the way they want, to look the way they want and whatever they decide should not be made to feel in some way that there is something lacking in them.

There are ladies who have been on MM who have have has some sort of procedure but don't talk about it as, it in not always received kindly.

That's why I said in my previous post that maybe beauty secrets should be just that! I maybe think a wise woman should just smile and be enigmatic :)

"Despite the popular misconception, the word "plastic" in "plastic surgery" does not mean "artificial," but is derived from the ancient Greek word "plastikos," which means to mold or give form. Plastic surgery includes both the reconstructive and aesthetic subspecialties"

« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 11:59:32 AM by silverlady »

ellie

« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2013, 10:42:07 AM »

My opinion is....if someone wants to have something done, good luck to them, it's their body.
  I have always hated my nose because its too sharp looking, and also the corners of my mouth turn down......I have lost count of the times people have told me to 'cheer up'.....So I wish I had had the money and courage to do something about it when I was younger.

littleminnie

« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2013, 10:48:09 AM »

And my opinion is - its your body, your money and your business.
Some people like to smoke, some like a drink, some like lots of holidays, some like having 'proceedures'.  You work/have worked for your money and it's up to you what you do with it.

Rowan

« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2013, 11:03:55 AM »

The history of cosmetic/plastic surgery is a fascinating one starting 4000 years ago

A couple of years ago  plastic surgeon (woman) did a programme on TV about this,

http://www.plasticsurgery.org/about-asps/history-of-plastic-surgery.html
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 12:55:21 PM by silverlady »

CLKD

« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2013, 12:50:42 PM »

However: tooth implants are totally different to the psychology behind cosmetic surgery.  Implants are ONLY cosmetic because the NHS won't fund them.

Tooth implants may well save facial features in the short-term.  I have had 3 - the choices were: nothing at all; a plate, on the NHS; or to pay for implants.  The reason I went for implants is that I am too young for a plate.  Leaving gaps means that the jaw would recede, causing the remaining teeth to fall out.  'Long in the tooth' it's called.  The jaw bone requires exercise, in the same way as we do brisk walking to stave off osteoporosis.  Jaw gets exercise by yawning, eating, talking ........  teeth help keep the jaw bone healthy.  With loss of teeth the bone has nothing to work against therefore it recedes causing long-term problems.

I have paid out over the last nearly 3 years for fantastic treatment.  I HATED the dental surgery but my Dentist is understanding, clear in his explanations, listens to my worries.  Once the injections were in I felt nothing.  Each session was over 2 hours  :o  ::)

As for facial surgery, as I stated, having watched programmes on why women (usually) have this done is because they have excess skin or lots of wrinkles and I have been impressed with the after-effects.  The ladies look younger, more relaxed, in fact some look totally different  :o and as far as teeth are concerned, the same came be said.  From crocked, over-lapping teeth to a mouth which produces a 'normal' smile is wonderful.  My Dentist told me that he performs 'cosmetic' denstastry because it can give a patient back their Life  ;)

Rowan

« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2013, 01:13:15 PM »

Not sure what you mean about the psychology  of cosmetic surgery CLKD, if you mean lacking in self esteem or confidence and sense of self, then I disagree, it takes confidence for self improvement for whatever reason and I have never lacked either, nor do I think others are either, and certainly surgeons are trained to look out for that sort of thing.

I can't see the difference between whether its for health reasons, reconstruction, disfigurements or cosmetic, it takes courage and determination to take the steps to do something for yourself that will bring improvement.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 01:33:57 PM by silverlady »

CLKD

« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2013, 02:19:35 PM »

There is a LOT of psychology behind cosmetic intervention nothing to do with lack of self esteem: I worked for a psychologist for several years so saw some of the angst.  Some women however, will go on and on and on .......... believing that Society deems them to look a certain 'way', when they really do not require any more surgery.  But these women do not see what outsiders see.  There are Surgeons who will exploit this.  I don't know that courage comes into the equation  :-\ - I was terrified before my necessary 1st gynaecological procedure at age 25, but once I had been to theatre anything after was much easier.

My point is that cosmetic surgery is usually voluntary rather than necessary whereas implant dental surgery is usually necessary in order to avoid long-term problems.

The best thing is to take 'me' time, whether it be a bubble bath, new hair cut, talking over the possibility of surgery with a good surgeon ..... be careful not to rush into procedures that could go wrong though!

Rowan

« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2013, 03:12:19 PM »

I take your points CLKD but I don't think my friend would appreciate me saying  that to her, hers was voluntary, and I would never think to say that to her.

" talking over the possibility of surgery with a good surgeon ..... be careful not to rush into procedures that could go wrong though!"

I agree entirely. I would add an NHS surgeon who does work privately.

The vast majority of women and men are entirely content with one procedure even if it  just the removal of a small blemish, they will go away happy and get on with their lives.

I think what you are talking about is an entirely different topic. Body dysmorphic disorder

« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 05:04:30 PM by silverlady »
Pages: 1 [2]