Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: when have you come through the worst of it?  (Read 7761 times)

donnarob

when have you come through the worst of it?
« on: October 29, 2013, 12:21:24 PM »

Hi there, Aged 54 and been in peri/post menopause for what seems like a lifetime.

I do get a bit confused to the vast array of menopausal symptoms out there and, as everyone is different, what works for some, doesn't for others.  What I have heard with HRT, is that it just prolongs the inevitable?  I don't really want to take anything as I feel as if my hot flushes are diminishing and things will gradually get better. 

I read on another site that Starflower Oil is great as is Menopace.  Am I right in thinking girls, that we all get a bit bamboozed at the huge amount of menopausal products out there on the shelves.  I must have spent a fortune on various herbs which haven't worked or I have taken an adverse reaction to.   I have been taking one Vitamin E capsule dail for the past 1.5 years and I think they have been doing the trick up until now.  Would you recommend that I can carry on taking the vitamin E as well as taking Menopce or Starflower Oil.  I don't know if the two would mix?

Donnarob.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: when have you come through the worst of it?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 04:27:04 PM »

Where ever there is a condition there will be money to be spent  ;)
Most on the shelves are supplements.  People can get help by the placebo effect, I have used Rescue Remedy mouth spray for years; but recently it didn't 'work' so I needed emergency anti-anxiety meds from the GP.

I think it is a case of managing symptoms as they arise, but the hit and miss of treatments can be as tiring as the symptoms  >:(

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 07:11:21 PM »

Hi donnarob

There have been several threads recently - within the last few days - on whether HRT is just prolonging the inevitable and the pros and cons - so rather than repeating myself I suggest you have a read of recent threads whose titles look promising, or do a search. I've had a look but can't find them just now but maybe someone else will be able to find them!

Basically it's quality of life now and in a nutshell why feel bad for 10 years (or longer) to put off feeling bad for maybe 1 year if the flushes return temporarily when you stop. Oestrogen deficiency is for life and some problems such as osteoporosis, vaginal and bladder issues are worse for those not taking HRT and either are with you for ever, or only become apparent over the years following menopause

Hurdity x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 07:19:50 PM »

Hi donnarob
Live for today. Hurdity is right. If you're feeling rotten because of meno symptoms it's worth giving HRT a go as it may well benefit you in the long run.
Like you, I spent a fortune on remedies and herbs that ultimately did nothing and went back on HRT.
Look after yourself - Balanced diet with a good multivitamin + omega oils for the bones and skin. Vitamin D is also vital in winter. Take brisk walks.  Try to get some good sleep.
Dip into things on this site.
Good luck  DG x

R4CT0M

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 10:25:31 PM »

what a coincidence you bring this up :)  decided to get rid of so called remedies from cupboard today!

I have tried allsorts..... ::)
Used to take Menopace and Starflower oil, but in my quest moved on to other things :-\  and kind of forgot about them.....you sort of fall for all the hype and sometimes forget the things that were actually doing ok for you.  I tried the soy isoflavones that cost an arm and leg from Holland and Barrett, but was getting flushes whilst taking them :o thought that can't be right, they are supposed to stop them, so researched and read that soy isoflavones don't suit some women and create flushes dues to fact that they suppress what natural oestrogen you may have left... or something like that anyway.... so I've stopped them ::)
still had some Menopace  and starflower oil at back of cupboard... Menopace is basically multi vit anyway if you look at the label, so started just taking those again.... will use them up, may get them again or just a basic mult vit, but I'll carry on with the Starflower Oil, I like that, and may get some Omega oils I think..
have felt much better this week without the isoflavones.

Spent too much on all these so called remedies.....
I agree with DG, good diet and exercise....
I've been lucky that I've not had very bad symptoms of meno, saw my mum suffer terribly :(, and I'm lucky that I don't have any underlying health problems to deal with along side the meno like she did,  but I believe good nutrition and being active helps if you can, and exercise on a regular basis even if it's just walking or something gentle like swimming.
Mony xx

Dancinggirl

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 11:20:01 PM »

Keep with us R4CTOM.
You sound pretty grounded.
Take care DG x

R4CT0M

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 08:38:05 AM »

thanks DG :)

gone back to the beginning with everything the last few days and haven't had any flushes just on the vitamins and starflower oil, just like when I started them a good while ago... should have stuck with them and stopped looking around...... why did I do that ::) ;D  back on regular routine with the Vagifem ;)

suppose it's a case of 'it ain't broke don't fix it'... I've stop looking for things  :)

love your name Dancing Girl... what dancing do you do?

take care everyone xxxx

Dancinggirl

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2013, 09:16:13 AM »

I used to be a professional dancer, trained in ballet but did all sorts.
I'm hoping I can restart my dancing for beginners class at some stage - when I taught these classes a few years ago i had a great group of ladies up to the age of 70 and we had such laugh!
I don't dance much any more - joints are giving quite a lot of problems! If I do the classes again they will have to be very gentle! Brisk walks tend to be my exercise but I do miss dancing.
I'm hoping the Vagifem will eventually work for me.
DG x

donnarob

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2013, 10:30:11 AM »

Hi Girls,

I am seriously considering the Vagifem, but why am I so scared?   I think it's because I have circulation issues and my father had major problems with his leg and thrombosis.  I am of the opinion, in that would I feel happier not having the problems, or more paranoid worrying about the side effects of the Vagifem.   

I have two collies and walk them several times a day.  I love getting out in the fresh air and walk in all weathers.  Walking makes me feel generally great and I do follow a low carb, healthy diet. 

I have had my eyes opened by the amount of ladies all suffering from the same problems and thank everyone who have replied to my posts dotted around the site.

I have diabetes type 2 and also wonder whether this condition would affect any future meds?   I don't take any drugs at all, only one Vitamin E capsule daily and have managed my condition through diet and exercise.

This site has been a Godsend and I will let you know what my lady GP thinks.  Thank God she can speak good English!

Rowan

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2013, 11:03:59 AM »

donnarob have you seen this forum on MM lots and lots of threads about how ladies cope with their menopause, using diet supplements and exercise.

http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15181.0.html

R4CT0M

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2013, 11:51:54 AM »

DG, dance class sounds good.. i'd come if I could.. what about a MM dance troup ;D :cancan:

Good luck Donnarob, hope you get on ok with the GP...  as for the vagifem, discuss your own situation with gp, you are not committing yourself by trying it... if it doesn't suit, tell gp and don't take it anymore....

In my own experience I have found that the more I was worrying and stressing about symptoms or even possible symptoms if I did this and that, the worse I felt.
I have decided to forget it all and deal with things one step at a time, as, when and only if it happens ;)  although I appreciate that can be easier said than done ::)

xx
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 11:55:22 AM by R4CT0M »

Dancinggirl

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2013, 01:22:30 PM »

A dance troop would be fun.  I feel as though I have met so many soul mates on this site and a dance class with you all would be a hoot.  The class would include: Pauses for quick trips to the loo, regular opening and shutting of windows to help with flushes and lots of leg kicks to get the air flowing round our burning fannies!!
Did anyone see that programme about the Japanese re the big drop in their birth rate? 
They showed this over 50s cheer leaders group - priceless :cheer:
Dg x

R4CT0M

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2013, 03:21:52 PM »

;D ;D ;D DG

dahliagirl

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2013, 06:28:22 PM »

Taz2

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2013, 06:56:23 PM »

I could join then!  ;D