Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Patch tip  (Read 3882 times)

Rowan

Patch tip
« on: October 12, 2013, 09:00:31 AM »

Have found a way of keeping my estrogen patch 25 on for longer, this summer I seem to have patches that fell (some didn't seem as sticky as others) and packs that did stick well but loosened at the edges after a few days.. 

I have a quick bath morning and evening and I think that might have added to patches falling off or coming loose.

So I bought some breathable hypoallergenic Micropore tape for sensitive skin, and stuck some over my patch and it has lasted for over a week now, so I can keep my patch on for longer then a week and make them go further.

Feeling fine on this regime. 

Joyce

Re: Patch tip
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2013, 10:10:17 AM »

Would there not be less oestrogen content in the patch though? Thought that was why they needed changing twice a week.

Rowan

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2013, 10:56:16 AM »

Its enough estrogen for me cubagirl.

Some estrogen is better then non and my Doctor is happy to prescribe it as long as I am healthy as I want to be on it.

Its a tip also for those who change their patch twice a week but find sometimes they don't stick so well.

We have discussed this before, the trick is to use tape that does not irritate the skin.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 11:41:13 AM by silverlady »

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2013, 11:41:50 AM »

It's a good tip but not one which the menopause clinic or the manufacturers advise as the hormone is delivered through the adhesive and if the adhesive is not in proper contact with the skin then you are not getting as much hormone as you should. It sounds as if you can now get along with less oestrogen SL.

Taz

Rowan

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2013, 12:01:18 PM »

Taz I stick the patch on first and put, press hard to make sure its stuck fast and then put the tape over making sure all the patch is covered.

Must admit I got the idea from Hystersisters.

I don't just rely on just my patch for estrogen, I use supplements and essential fatty acids to keep things moist and well oiled, and make sure I have natural estrogens in the diet, it all adds up.

http://dogtorj.com/main-course/other-important-health-topics/estrogens-and-food/estrogens-in-food/

Rose

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 10:04:56 PM »

Hi Silverlady, what you suggest is what is used here in Oz to keep patches of any kind on. As the temps soar, the patches tend to come unstuck easily so they recommend covering it with a clear film-like plaster that is waterproof. Works well.