Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Dialysis anyone?  (Read 2486 times)

Pauline

Dialysis anyone?
« on: October 09, 2013, 07:07:19 AM »

I'll start with an apology. This enquiry isn't for me but for my husband and I know he isn't a woman(!!) but he is facing dialysis for kidney failure very soon and we are trying to find out what others' experience is of this procedure. Anyone out there either on dialysis or knowing someone who is. As we live 20 miles from the hospital, and he is competent and at ease with performing procedures on himself having been diabetic for 40 years, we think we will opt for night time peritoneal dialysis if possible.
Hoping to hear from someone!
Thanks to you all.

Scampi

Re: Dialysis anyone?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 07:45:27 AM »

No personal experience, but when I was student nurse (in the late 1980s!!) I worked on a children's ward of a hospital that had the region's renal unit - there was a boy on the ward who, at the age of 4, could manage his own bag-changes for CAPD (continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis)!  So I'm sure, if he's suitable for this type of dialysis, your husband will be able to manage it easily.

Have search around the internet for renal support forums (UK based, assuming you are in the UK) - nothing beats getting support and advice from those who know exactly what you are going through.  I hope all goes well.

Joyce

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 09:19:38 AM »

Check & see if there is a dialysis forum which would give you & your husband the necessary support. 

Pauline

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 09:48:12 AM »

Thanks for that. We are trying to read and research as much as possible. It seems that for many people, they feel better once they start treatment. This is encouraging and means we feel quite positive about the future.

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 10:43:16 AM »

Hi Pauline - I am sure he will feel much better once treatment has started. Have you had a look at this site http://www.kidneypatientguide.org.uk/intro.php   There is a forum - although you have to join to access it so I am not sure how active it is.

Taz x

lily

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 07:24:47 PM »

Hi Pauline
The peritoneal dialysis is really straightforward to do at hoe and sounds like he will be able to do it on his own. I helped my mum to do this after haemodialysis did not work well for her.