Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Nasty cold  (Read 11026 times)

countrybumpkin

Nasty cold
« on: October 05, 2013, 01:25:12 PM »

I started two days ago thinking I have go that horrible feeling at back of nose I am getting a cold but yesterday is had almost gone, it was just teasing :P I woke up in middle of night totally bunged up with razer blade throat and barking cough.

It seems there is alot of it about. I am super busy with moving house in 5 weeks so of course I have to succumb to  this.

OUr buyers called today and he was barking like a dog as well, he said the nose bit had got better but the cough is awful ::) Just what I wanted to know.

I am taking the herb pelagonium tablets, strepsils and lots of hot steam and hot drinks. 

Wish me luck as I have a hospital appt middle next week that is so far away I have to stay in hotel overnight as its an early appt.  Probably means i can cough all over hotel and hospital staff!

Elena

Re: Nasty cold
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 05:02:16 PM »

There's an awful lot of it about.  I had the heavy cold and total exhaustion last weekend, went to buy some Sudafed and they'd had a run on it.

2 days off work, went back later in week.  Yesterday I was fine, did loads at home and at work. Last night couldnt sleep, today sneezing, feeling like death, think sore throat may be on it's way :(

Joyce

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2013, 05:20:30 PM »

I had drs appointment yesterday and nearly everyone there was sniffling & coughing. If I manage to avoid catching it, I'll be lucky!

Hope you feel better soon.  :hug:

honeybun

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2013, 06:31:36 PM »

My daughter had this about a month ago. She was really quite unwell with it and the cough lasted ages.

:hug:

To all who are suffering.

Honeyb
X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2013, 07:52:43 PM »

DH took a cold away on holiday and I brought it back  >:( - began with a very sore back of the nose, which ran for 48 hours  ::) then a cough developed and I had difficulty in drawing a deep breath.  So KARVOL was a necessity.  The virus disappeared by Wed., now I can breath again  ::)

Lots of liquid.  Rest as much as possible.  Feet up, blanket round you  ;)

Joyce

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2013, 09:30:52 AM »

I've been coughing for hours now...........  :( Blooming DR's waiting room. Please let it pass quickly. Will have to cancel my flu jab now.

Rowan

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2013, 10:10:24 AM »

I am still in two minds about the flu jab, over two years ago I had one and did not feel well afterwards for some weeks a few months later I got a flu virus and felt the worse I have ever had, I vowed not to have another flu jab.

Its been about 18 months now and I have not had even a cold (I hope I have not jinxed myself by wring this) then recently I get the letter from the surgery inviting me to have a flu jab, and the conflict starts again as to whether I should have one.

About 10 years ago I had the flu jab and the same thing happened, I got a bout and felt very unwell, when usually I don't and decided I would not have a flu jab again, the only reason I had one a few years ago is because it stated on the letter that if you lived with anyone with heart problems you should have the jab to protect them.

So undecided once again. MY OH refuses to have one.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2013, 11:05:50 AM »

M in L had never had 'flu until she was given the jab - she was almost taken to Hospital all 3 times  :o even though the GP muttered that there wasn't a connection.  She got it into her head that she had to have it because the GP told her it was necessary, when we explained that they got a tenner for every jab ...........  ;)  she never had 'flu afterwards as she didn't have the jab again.

Rowan

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2013, 11:21:58 AM »

I really think that some peoples immune systems over react to vaccines.

honeybun

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2013, 12:32:33 PM »

I sometimes feel a bit off and always have a sore hot arm but that's it.

The one that made me feel really unwell was the polio vaccine. I felt so ill with that one. Not something I think I will have again.

Some people do react more than others I think.

Honeyb
X

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2013, 04:04:59 PM »

Probably because their bodies are already protected!

I have an irritating cough again this afternoon  >:( nuisance value only but  :-X

However, where I had my BCG injection at age 13, if a cold is in the offing that area of my arm itches like mad 3 days prior to the cold starting  :o

honeybun

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2013, 06:30:30 PM »

I don't think you can protect your body from a virus it has never seen before and as flu changes every year it's impossible to be protected as such. It's just down to luck and not coming into contact with anyone that is carrying the virus.

Not a risk I want to take.

Honeyb
X

countrybumpkin

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2013, 09:26:18 PM »

I worked at a Dr surgery about 12 years ago and I saw the info sheet that came with the flu jabs and assume that things have not changed since.  Technically you cannot catch flu from a flu jab as its an inactive vaccine so far so good, and this is what Drs always tell you BUT some peoples immune system can over react making them ill and some people the vaccine hammers their immune system for a time making them suseptable to any flu like viruses that are around.
It seems people fall into two camps. Most people have no effect whatsover from the jab but the others find that they are ill all winter catching every virus thats around.

Rowan

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2013, 09:39:21 AM »

Thank you countrybumkin for confirming what I have always thought and I think an awful lot of other people have come to realise, saying that I am sure the jab has saved a lot of lives in the vulnerable.

Seems for some you can have the flu jab and still get the flu, or not have it and be hammered. The lucky ones are the ones who benefit and have no side effects.

I wonder if people who have auto immune conditions or come from atopic families don't tolerate the jab so well. I come from an atopic family and all of us react to vaccines, growing up we all had to have so many because of living in different countries and in the tropics, even having to have some yearly, I am sure it must effect immune system.

Changing the topic but still about immune system, estrogen enhances the immune system and progesterone suppresses it (has to so that a woman's body does not reject the foetus) probably a bit of useless info but I do find it interesting.

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2013, 03:22:21 PM »

Need to add that M in L was 79 when she had her first 'flu jab ......... she had got to that age without suffering!

:thankyou:   Countrybumpkin!
Pages: [1] 2 3