Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: How long does this menopause last?  (Read 4704 times)

dulciana

How long does this menopause last?
« on: October 02, 2013, 09:05:36 PM »

I've been getting menopausal symptoms for nearly two years.  Obviously I will be glad when it's over and my husband keeps hoping it's nearly finished, but I don't really know what to expect, time-wise.  Is there an average length?  Do anxious people get a longer menopause?  Does age affect duration (I'm 54)?  How long is a piece of string??

Taz2

Re: How long does this menopause last?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 09:15:00 PM »

Hi dulciana - many people have asked this but there is no definitive answer. It is different for everyone. Which symptoms are the worst for you because, obviously, the menopause lasts for the rest of our lives but some symptoms do improve.

Taz  :hug:

dulciana

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 09:25:16 PM »

Hi Taz2 - hot flushes and anxiety, especially in the evenings.  I'd say that anxiety is my trigger for hot flushes, too - very chicken-and-egg.  I am quite an anxious person but I'm definitely worse now - and I don't know how many boxes of Kalms and bottles of lavender oil I've got through since January 2012! 

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 09:32:35 PM »

I went onto HRT due to the hot sweats - they make you feel so horrible and tired all the time. Have you considered it?

The anxiety is horrible too. My doc has always suggested citalopram for mine but I have never taken it even though it has worked really well for a couple of my friends. Have you discussed it with your doc? It seems to shame to be putting up with all of these symptoms if there is something that can help.

Taz x

rosebud57

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 09:24:15 AM »

Hi dulciana, The trouble is no two women are the same.  I had my last period last October at 56 1/2, and since then I've been more or less symptom free.  The downside is the symptoms started about 15 years before so it looks like I've have all the problems up front.  The last two years were the worst with very light but irregular periods that totally  poll axed me.  I would feel so drained and ill in the first 24 hours as to almost pass out.

I managed without HRT but did have six months on Prozac about 10 years ago.  Hopefully if you are suffering now things will get better when you come out the other side.

ps. My sister was 58 when she had her last periodhttp://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/Smileys/extended/sad.gif

dulciana

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 06:55:25 PM »

Thanks for your answers, rosebud57 and Taz2.   HRT sounds so helpful but as my late mother had breast cancer, I just don't dare try it.  I know people talk about minimum risk, low risk etc., but I'm not touching it.   There are some natural remedies I use which have quite a good effect in one way or another and I suppose my symptoms have eased a bit since the onset on my meno.  I'd just like to think these horrible hot flushes will go at some point, especially as my twin sister gets none of this and I can't share it with her at all.  Light at the end of the tunnel - that's what I want!