Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Painful smear  (Read 4225 times)

spider

Painful smear
« on: September 27, 2013, 05:33:25 PM »

Went for my smear today :'(

It was sooo painful!

Nurse told me this was due to dryness and I may need to go back as she may not have collected enough cells  :-\

What next????

On a positive note she did tell me that the HRT will help but I've only recently started taking it..

Spider x

Taz2

Re: Painful smear
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 05:41:32 PM »

I feel for you spider. You may find that a prescription for Vagifem will help too. I used to use both HRT and vagifem. The vagifem gets to work quickly whereas full HRT may take a while longer. Did the nurse suggest any topical oestrogen?

Taz x

honeybun

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 06:19:25 PM »

I had my smear two weeks ago. It was not exactly comfortable but I think I was very tense. I have been on HRT for four years and Vagifem for almost the same amount of time.

I told the nurse it was painful but I just got a shrug of the shoulders. To be honest it has always hurt a bit.

Honeyb
X

Kathleen

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 07:31:52 PM »

Hello spider.
I know how you feel, I had a smear this week and for the first time in my life it hurt.  Apparantly my cervix had moved into an awkward position so halfway through the nurse had to stop and begin again using a smaller speculum.  She said that it had become difficult because since my last smear five years ago everything had changed. Well, I thought, you're not wrong there!
Take care.
K.

Limpy

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 08:10:14 PM »

Spider, smears are never relaxing.

The last one I had, 4 months ago ish, was a bit "dry" and wasn't brilliant. After that the nurse decided to measure my BP. As it happened, it was the same as last time it was measured. She sounded surprised / disappointed saying, that it WAS AFTER A SMEAR so BP should have been up!

I know smears are good for us but there are better ways to spend time.

toastie

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2013, 09:52:49 AM »

Hi Ladies,

I also had a routine  smear test a few weeks ago and I mentioned to the nurse that the last smear test I had was very painful also that I felt dry - she decided to use a smaller speculum and I hardly felt a thing - not painful at all -  I couldn't believe it was over.  Hope this helps any other ladies out there and Honeybun, I think that is awful the way the nurse reacted to you.

toastie  :tulips2:

spider

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2013, 01:28:58 PM »

Thanks everyone for your comments. Great to know we're all in this together ;D

Taz..I got prescription for gynest but find it just well...messy yuck  :P

At least the nurse was really caring which helped loads...it really feels like the Sahara desert down there at the moment  ;D

Today I've been spotting bright red too which the nurse told me to expect.. :'(

Honeyb shame on her! Limpy you are so right..I've spent better time with the toothache x

Limpy

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2013, 06:38:17 PM »

Spider - It's good  you've been told about the spotting, that does help a bit.

Gynest does help with dryness, but it's so messy. For me the problem was it falling out if I walked around with no knickers on (don't ask  ::)) However, still use it now externally, while using patches.

Hope things improve soon
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 06:40:29 PM by Limpy »

honeybun

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2013, 06:43:39 PM »

We have two lovely nurses at our practice and one not lovely at all. Guess what one I got  ::)
We don't really get on which is probably down to me. She is terribly over weight and struggles to walk without getting out of breath. I went to her for my blood pressure and weight check. She measured me and then weighed me and told me I was too heavy. I am 5"1 and weigh just over 8 stone. I looked at her and I think my face said it all as she lectured me about exercise and healthy eating.
She is less than sympathetic now. I don't mind getting advice from someone who practices what they preach.  ::)

Honeyb
X

Limpy

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2013, 06:51:11 PM »

Honeyb - best find out the name of the nice nurse.
There is nothing of you at all - keep sneering at the crabby one.   

honeybun

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2013, 07:44:53 PM »

Don't think it was a snear as much as my gob smacked look.  ;D

Honeyb
X

Joyce

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2013, 09:45:03 PM »

What a cheek HB. Obviously doesn't practise what she preaches! My nursing daughter gets well hacked off at staff who lay into patients about weight, lifestyle choices when they are several stones overweight themselves.

honeybun

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2013, 09:50:29 PM »

It is a bit much. Hubby has had her for his diabetic checks and they ask a lot of dietary questions. He thought it was really funny. He was the tall slim one and this woman is at least 18stone. I actually feel quite sorry for her as she is just a bother to herself, puffing and panting everywhere she goes.

Honeyb
X

Evenstar

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2013, 03:38:49 PM »

I had a smear on Friday. Lovely chatty nurse, Can now go 5 years until my next one unless there is a problem of course, but fingers crossed there won't be.
      Some women shouldn't be nurses. Theres no excuse for rudeness >:(