Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: ?Progesterone causing fatigue  (Read 3356 times)

Mrs Sea

?Progesterone causing fatigue
« on: September 07, 2013, 02:26:32 PM »

Hi folks

Have not posted before but have been reading everyone else's!  Keen to get some ideas/thoughts before I see my GP next week.  Have been taking Elleste Duet 2mg for just under 3 months.  I am 55yrs old and have been perimenopausal for about a year.  Prior to starting HRT my biggest problem was heavy periods causing anaemia.  These happened every 3 months or so but the bleeding lasted up to a month, sometimes longer and always happened at the most difficult times :(   I had some insomnia, and night 'hots', lots of vaginal symptoms possibly complicated by longstanding thrush, but that was about it. 

Since going on Elleste Duet (and a long term course of thrush treatment), the vaginal symptoms, insomnia and night 'hots' have gone and the bleeding has been less heavy, though still lasting for weeks.  However, for the past month I have been fighting a terrible fatigue.  I am sleeping well and eat healthily. Prior to feeling so tired I was getting plenty of exercise but have been struggling to get to work, let alone exercise.  Mentally I have been unable to concentrate, having difficulty with speaking or hold conversations with people.  Trying to use the computer at work and home has been a real challenge as I couldn't think fast enough to type things up.  I have been having muscle cramps, particularly at night - like shin splints but in my thighs and forearms especially.  Walking up a hill feels like I am at altitude.  I get mild palpitations most nights that make you feel a bit nervy but otherwise I wouldn't say I was any more anxious than normal, just a bit ratty as I am so tired.  It reminds me a bit of PMT but instead of lasting a day or two, has gone on for over 4 weeks.  It has been really debilitating. Things have improved for the past week but I am not back to my usual fit self yet.

Having read the information on this website and forum, the symptoms could be related to the progesterone but the symptoms did not occur until part way through my 2nd month Elleste Duet and lasted until midway through pack 3.  Given that I have had symptoms like this for a day here and there before, could it be my own progesterone/hormones kicking in on top of the HRT creating the problem?  I should add, all my bloods were fine except my Ferritin which is always low.  I am not anaemic and my thyroid etc is fine.

Do I change my HRT next week when I see my GP and try a different progesterone or try and stick with the Elleste Duet for a bit longer to see if things settle?  Any thoughts/advice much appreciated.

Hurdity

Re: ?Progesterone causing fatigue
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 07:14:25 PM »

Hi Mrs Sea
 :welcomemm:
I agree with Stellajane that it sounds like you need some expert medical advice.

However it may still be worth trying an HRT with a different progestogen in it such as Femoston to see if this helps. Did you start to feel better at all and what part of the pack were you on if you did?