Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: My Beetroot Saga  (Read 8123 times)

Cassie

My Beetroot Saga
« on: August 17, 2013, 12:56:48 PM »

I have developed, thanks to good ole meno, somewhat of a phobia when it comes to spotting any unexpected blood of any form when it shouldnt be there! So to my consternation, the other morning I was horrified to find on wiping that the loo paper was pink which immediately provoked a minor panic attack which led to the jitters and an upset stomach and when I wiped there was more pink horrors! I was just about to call the GP, when I remembered the divine beetroot and feta cheese salad which I had had the day before! :)
Panic was averted, but shows one how ones mind can immediately go into overdrive, why do we always expect the worse! Gave myself a good talking to after having a giggle about my neurosis!

Taz2

Re: My Beetroot Saga
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 01:36:00 PM »

I love beetroot but have never had any sign of it in my urine so I must have an acidic stomach!

Beeturia (Pink Pee)
Be aware that ingestion of beetroot can colour urine red and also discolour stools, causing the unwary to hot-foot it to their GP for urgent tests. The pinkness of your pee depends on the acidity of your stomach; some people don't see pink pee afterwards and some do (approximately 10 - 14%). If you don't see pink pee then your stomach is at the strongly acidic end of the normal range - if you do see pink pee then your stomach is at the less acidic end of normal, and the colour hasn't been broken down on the way through your gut.

"Beeturia is a harmless occurrence and you do not have to exclude beetroot from your diet if you are affected by it. If you don't normally have pink-stained pee after consuming beetroot, you might like to try an experiment. Try taking some antacid1 tablets, then eat beetroot. Remember to look at what you're doing the next time you visit the toilet. That should satisfy your curiosity.

If your urine is coloured pink or red and you haven't ingested any beetroot, this is called haematuria and requires medical investigation to find out the cause."

Taz x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 01:47:03 PM »

Beetroot is SO easy to prepare.  Dig from the garden (just did so), wash throughly in cold water whcih can be poured back into the tubs; cut off leaves which are fed to the chickens; place into cold water and bring to the boil.  Once cooked the outer peel will rub off and can be discarded onto the compost heap.

Chop into bite sized pieces and eat immediately or put into a clean jam-jar, cover in vinegar and seal.

honeybun

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 03:09:52 PM »

You can roast it along with potatoes....yummmy.

Honeyb
X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 07:21:25 PM »

I find spuds far harder to deal with.  DH scrubbed, sliced and roasted beets from our garden this evening - they were still squealling when they went into the oven  ;)