Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Blood test  (Read 2995 times)

Claireylou

Blood test
« on: August 14, 2013, 03:25:42 PM »

Hi there, I wonder if any of you lovely ladies can help.

This afternoon my GP ordered some blood tests because I've been feeling a bit off lately. I've got to wait a week for results but have somehow convinced myself that something is quite wrong with me (health anxiety through the roof). Does anyone know how soon I'd hear if something was really wrong ?

I'm sorry to ask but every little ache and pain is something life threatening at the moment.

Thanks for reading xx

ann123

Re: Blood test
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 03:28:17 PM »

Routine lab test tests are done daily, should only take a couple of days to get results back.
He has probably just done some rbc and WBC counts, make sure you aren't anaemic, and maybe some routine biochemistry tests, I wouldn't worry

Claireylou

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 03:31:06 PM »

Hi there, thank you for replying. I'm hoping its just the menopause making me feel so yuk xx  :(

countrybumpkin

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 12:00:53 PM »

Health anxiety and menopause are sheer hell ::) as the 500 symptoms of menopause mean your anxiety goes through the roof. 
Just to make you laugh when I first got hot flushes I didn't get any sweating just the intense heat and I was convinced I had carcinoid syndrome as that causes flushing!!!  I worried for about 2 years until I realised that the hot flushes came and went in relation to my periods.
Routine bloods usually include full blood count maybe liver and kidneys etc and the results are usually back in 2 days.
If anything horrendously serious showed up then the hospital ring your Drs and they ring you and that is done quickly ( I used to work at Drs).
If you ever want to have a health anxiety rant them you are more than welcome to pm me as I will understand you totally.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 12:02:39 PM »

Some blood tests can take 10-14 days to come back, others will be available within 24 hours.  Did your GP tell you what they are checking for, they usually never say  ::)  ........... 'routine' means that, 'routine' - if markers come back that are higher or lower than expected then further tests will be advised.

Menopause throws up lots of irritating issues  >:(

Claireylou

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 12:21:10 PM »

Hi and thanks so much for replying,

CLKD GP said they were just routine so not sure what's being tested. All I know is I haven't been right since glandular fever 18 months ago t :( :(

Countrybumpkin, so it's not just me that gets no sweats with flushes :o ??
Every little ache and pain is some horrendous illness and its totally taken over my life. Even on a very rare good day there's always this little voice reminding me that I could be seriously ill ... Does that make any sense or am I ready for the scrap heap xxx

countrybumpkin

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 05:12:31 PM »

Makes total sense to me ;D but then I have what could laughingly be called catastrophic thinking where anything health is concerned. 
Its really nice to know I am not alone in this ;)

My husband and my best friend would have to have a leg drop off before they were even slightly worried about their health so not much sympathy there.

Claireylou

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 05:20:20 PM »

Catastrophic thinking is a perfect description  ;D and to think that I used to be the most level headed person. Had my bloods taken yesterday at 3 o clock so I'm thinking that I would probably have heard by now if it was serious  :o

kerrieann

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2013, 05:31:32 PM »

Believe me your not alone on this one, and it's so good to hear that there are others out there that are the same as me  :) i get myself in some right states i tell you, my other half, i think, trys to be patient but sometimes the look on his face just says, oh here we go again  ;D i can't help myself i always think i have something life threatening even though one side of my brain tells me i am being stupid  ;D

Claireylou

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2013, 05:37:17 PM »

My other half has threatened to hide my IPad before now because of Dr Google  ::). Even my gynae has told me off for using it in the past. I scare myself silly with it. I can't have a simple headache or a straightforward sore throat. Its got to be something unknown to consultants and GPs alike  ;D ;D

Claireylou

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2013, 01:46:10 PM »

Hello everyone,

Well, just back from the GP and all of my bloods came back normal ! I can't tell you how very relieved I am. I guess feeling so yuk is down to being peri then. I would just like to thank those that have replied to my posts and supported me. I've been in a pretty dark place.

Thanks again xxx