Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: normal or not?  (Read 3234 times)

Ljp

normal or not?
« on: August 06, 2013, 11:12:49 AM »

Hi,
I am 48 and have been suffering perimenopause symptoms for several years, the last two years my periods have either been regular or non existent, having had up to 4 months with nothing then up to 6 months regular.
When I have periods I have very little in the way of hot flushes, night sweats etc...but when I have no periods I have the lot! and joint aches, mood swings, frequent urination etc etc.
I had no period in June, but two weeks ago I though my period was starting, normal feelings of menstruation, but very little blood/slow start, however the bleeding has continued now for two weeks, not really enough to need a tampon, but a reasonable amount when wiping after going to the toilet (sorry!)....I had this once before about a year ago, and say my GP she said she thought it was little to worry about, but if I was concerned she could refer me for a scan, I wasn't concerned so  didn't bother with the scan, and the bleeding stopped.
I feel absolutely fine, with no pain or clots etc, so just wanting opinions, and advice really if anyone has experienced this.
Many thanks
Lisa x  :thankyou:  :-[

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: normal or not?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 12:01:54 PM »

Yep.  Red blood is fresh, brown or dark coloured has been there for a while.  I experienced pre-menstrual symptoms even as the periods became scanty  ::) ...... I didn't stop carrying protection around when we went away for 5 years after periods stopped!

HORMONES  >:(    ::)

Ljp

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 12:38:44 PM »

Thank you. Must say mine seems to be a mixture of dark and red though

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 12:52:09 PM »

That's OK.  The body is slowing down so won't discharge quite as fast as it used to do.  Nuisance value only?  Have you read the menus on the left of screen?  We have a funny room too ;-)

honeybun

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 01:00:36 PM »

What you are having is perfectly normal. When you are having periods your flushes and other symptoms will go.....I wish I still had mine.

The sporadic bleeding is also normal and the fact it is lasting longer than before the same.
You may go for months with out a period or have them closer together. That's the problem there are no hard and fast rules and we are all different.

Don't worry you are just going through peri menopause.

The first time my period disappeared it was for 6 months and then it was back to normal although heavier for about a year. The next time it went for 9 month's and I gave up and went on HRT to get relief from hot flushes and sweats.

Honeyb
X

Ljp

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 04:53:25 PM »

Thank you all so much, you have put my mind at ease, I really appreciate it.
I must admit I have thought about HRT but I am totally petrified of cancer, having lost my Mum to lymphoma, 6 years ago, and I feel that I would be permanently worrying about it if I take HRT.....but do you find it really makes you feel good? or does it generate problems of its own?

honeybun

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 06:46:58 PM »

If you read all the details then the cancer risk is minimal. Sorry to hear about your mum.

I started HRT because I simply could no longer cope with with the moods, flushes, sweats and sleepless nights. My quality of life was terrible and I was a year older than you. I made the choice to try and see if I could feel better. It is quality over quantity for me.

You can try and if you don't like it then stop. It's a very personal choice. Have a chat to your GP.....and keep asking questions here. There is always someone to help.

Honeyb
X

foxxy65

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 11:54:57 PM »

Hi Lisajp, we are the same age!  My periods also are getting irregular.  I have had from the 18 day cycles to 45 day cycles.  Right now am running late with period,  I am on day 36 of my cycle and it has not started yet, but know it will show up when am out and about having fun somewhere. :o  We women sure go through a lot at this stage of life, don't we?  I had the scans and the endometrial biopsy already last month.  Muscle pain, bone pain, constant throat clearing, mood swings, crazy periods, heart palps (well am now on a beta blocker, which is really helping with that), oh and the all so lovely weight gain (not), trying to cope with getting older (not that am ungrateful).  Oh well, all we can do is hang in there.  I hope you feel better.  I suppose all this will pass.   ;)