Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Best exercises for sciatica?  (Read 4641 times)

Babylon Burning

Best exercises for sciatica?
« on: August 05, 2013, 04:08:51 PM »

Hi everyone, so I can now add a new item to my list of 'things that are wrong with BB' - sciatica!  Apparently it's quite common to develop back problems after abdominal surgery.  And I'm going to add that to my other long list of 'things the doctors don't tell you'.

I have consulted Dr Google but there are so many exercises to choose from I can't see the wood from the trees.  I'd really appreciate it if someone can point me in the right direction, bearing in mind I have to be careful with my tender stomach muscles.  Thanks.

Joyce

Re: Best exercises for sciatica?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 05:38:18 PM »

Firstly you will probably have to wait until stomach muscles have recovered. After that swimming is good for backs as is Pilate's.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 08:41:58 PM »

Brisk walking helps me.  Yoga is suggested. 

Greyhoundgal

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 12:11:34 PM »

Swimming, Pilates or Callenetics can all help back problems but you'd need to speak to an instructor first.  Our local physio do their own Pilates sessions so maybe that's a good place to start?

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 12:54:52 PM »

:thankyou:  I really need to sort mine out  - treadmill (looks behind me) is dusted now  ;)

Babylon Burning

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 01:58:18 PM »

Thanks all!

Weejeannie

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 09:50:18 AM »

I was given stretching exercises by my physiotherapist for sciatica. If you look on you tube there are lots of gentle exercises which definitely help.
One of them is lying on your back and bending the knee up towards chest as far as you can without hurting yourself, then gently pull the leg towards chest and hold it for 10 seconds, repeat 10 times if you can. Do this twice a day.
The other was to sit on floor and cross the affected leg over the other and try to put youf foot on the outside of the unaffected knee and gently pull and hold, this should stretch the outside of the affected thigh.
Not sure if I explained that very well but stretching exercises help a great deal.

WJ

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2013, 04:16:23 PM »

;D  I couldn't do either of those exercises under 'normal' conditions ......... I really need to sort out the pain I am having at night  :-\

Delilah

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2013, 05:23:41 PM »

Hi
I also suffer with sciatica. The stretching exercises weejeannie mentioned are excellent, it can take a few weeks to notice improvements but if you do them twice a day they are really effective.  Another exercise is to get down on all fours and arch your back upwards and hold for a few seconds then invert it the other way and look upwards for a few seconds. Also touching your toes and stretching as far as possible upwards is another good stretch.  Go through the four exercises a couple oftimes twice a day and you will see results. 

A good supportive mattress is also important.

Delilah x

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2013, 01:34:12 PM »

Well the burning down my R thigh woke me as did the intense aching down the nerve root .......  >:( - must make a list of symptoms over the weekend and try to get a GP Appt. soon.

nigela

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2013, 09:59:28 AM »

I have the same pain-wakes me up too esp if I have slept on that side. I find the stretching exercises do help(every day) and I go for acupuncture when it gets very bad. I find sitting on a doughnut cushion helps too.
Nigela

oldsheep

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2013, 08:47:21 AM »

Swimming, but not breaststroke. The leg outward kick movement is terrible for lower back and hip, according to my trusted physio.