Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Just when you think it's all over.....  (Read 4707 times)

Lynne888

Just when you think it's all over.....
« on: July 29, 2013, 08:22:02 PM »

...after 5 months, another period comes along :( So upset. My GP said that if I had another one I would need to go for tests. I'm 56 in 3 months. She thinks I'm too old to be still having this peri meno malarky. I think she assumes the bleeding  is caused by something else, but it's definitely a period in my opinion. I've felt for two days like I'm about to have a period, headaches, stomach ache, weeing more often.. all normal signs for me but I never thought I would actually have one!!! So, it's all gone pear shaped again. Just as things were settling down. I've been great on vagifem since I'm using it ever other day. GP even suggested I find out what HRT others on here were taking along with vagifem so that we could look at that if my constant urination didn't calm down. I couldn't be more FED UP - and worried to be honest! I know others have periods this late but you may recall I had hormone tests that suggested I was in full meno so apparently I really shouldn't be bleeding at all. So... have any of you had similar things happen? i.e. gone 5 months or more without a period and then..BOOM.? 

Taz2

Re: Just when you think it's all over.....
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 08:28:45 PM »

Yes - lots of us have gone for months and months and then started again. I went for ten months which was very annoying when I started having regular periods again. I went onto HRT at age 53 though so I have no idea when they would have finally finished. In fact I have had what feels like a proper period in the middle of this HRT cycle and I am 59 now.

I believe that 56 is the age where the NHS say a woman should be referred for a scan to make sure that her womb lining is ok. I was told at 52 that I would never have another period as my hormone levels showed that I was post-meno. I went on to have lots more so you can't always go by the blood test.

The one good thing is that while you are still having periods your other meno symptoms should be less. Not much comfort though if you are fed up with them.

Taz x

Lynne888

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 08:47:47 PM »

Thanks Taz. I guess if I was 50 I wouldn't feel so bothered. It's being told I'm *tooold* for this to be happening that worries me.  I've had about 3 periods in 2 years. They always feel like a proper period and not just random bleeding from somewhere. I guess I should be pleased the GP is on top of it. You are right, other meno issues are not very prominent.. I don't have bad sweats or anything. I suppose that's another joy I have to look forward to  :-\

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 09:03:40 PM »

<sigh> - there's no upper or lower age limit for meno symptoms.  Have a read of the menu on the left of screen.

Your GP is being cautious.  Perhaps she wonders if you have a fibroid/polyp causing the bleeding but in m y experience, the pre-menstrual symptoms don't happen if the polyp bleeds. 

:tulips:

Lynne888

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 09:39:04 PM »

I've already had the checks for polyps and fibroids. Nothing. I've read as much as I can about it but it's always more reassuring when others have had similar issues and they are OK! That's what's great about the forum. 8) GP is giving me a call tomorrow. She's just taking care of me so I should be gratful. Just can't help feeling a little bit bothered - and more importantly, pee'd off to get a period :(

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 09:47:34 PM »

I don't think your GP has much choice Lynne. She has to follow the guidelines much as mine had to send me for an endoscopy because I had suddenly developed heartburn at the age of 56. Over 55 you have to be investigated for such things.

Try not to worry too much and enjoy your sweat-free time  :)

Taz x

Lynne888

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 01:24:34 PM »

GP has phoned today.  She says I will not be having a period :( It's a bleed. I have to go for a biopsy to check for anything sinister. As you suggested Taz, the guidelines suggest that if you are over 55 you have to go. Bit more worried than yesterday now.

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 01:33:17 PM »

I'm not sure how she can say that to be honest especially as you had all the pre-period signs. When I had my mid cycle period I also had all the run up of normal period signs. The menopause clinic specifically asked me whether I had felt pre-menstrual before my "bleed". It could understand it if you had gone over a year without a period but five months isn't that long. She is obviously following guidelines though.

Let us know how you get on.

Taz  x

Rowan

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2013, 01:40:15 PM »

Agree with Taz even at 56 the ovaries can push out the odd egg and you can get a period.

Lynne888

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2013, 01:46:34 PM »

It's the tests I had that said I was in full meno that my GP seems to go with. I told her I had normal period symptoms but she said I have to go for the biopsy because of the guidelines. I haven't yet gone a full 12 months without a period but I've been in peri meno for 5 years now so it's a long time I guess. The tests that suggested I was in menopause were done in November. Whilst there are others in similar situations, I don't think it's quite the norm but I hope this is all nothing... she says I will be seen within 2 weeks because it is classed as urgent.

Rowan

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2013, 01:54:00 PM »

At 56 I was still getting the signs of a cycle and spotting every so often and I had had a hysterectomy ( I kept my ovaries and cervix) doctor said it was nothing to worry about and wasn't unusual.

It could be that the vagifem has kept the ovaries and lining of the womb  plumped up, enough to cause a period.

Try not to worry too much, your Doctor is erring on the side of caution.

Lynne888

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2013, 02:00:48 PM »

Yes I'm sure she is. Had scan recently though and lining was normal. I will keep you updated x

kes

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2013, 03:48:37 PM »

I am nearly 56 and still get periods, although they are irregular - but I have not so far gone more than 2 months or so without one. 

Lynne888

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2013, 04:03:15 PM »

Kes, I think this is the longest time I have gone without them, 5 months.  I have definitely gone 3 months several times. The thing that is causing the issues is the hormone tests saying I am in meno. Several people have said it's not an exact science which makes me feel easier,  but my GP is definitely sticking to it!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2013, 02:48:05 PM »

Blood tests for hormone levels are notorioulsy un-reliable.  My Gynea won't do them!
Pages: [1] 2