Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Ear problem  (Read 4582 times)

louisy

Ear problem
« on: July 24, 2013, 09:13:12 PM »

Can anyone give me some advice please?  I got some water in my ear about 3 weeks ago and now it is completely blocked.  Apparently I have a hard lump of wax which won't budge despite best efforts by two different nurses.  I have had 2 weeks of  putting olive oil in but it still won't soften.  I feel I am going slightly balmy!  Can't hear out of  it at all now. Have to go back next week after another 7 days of oil but can't see it is going to make much difference.  Any other ideas v welcome!

honeybun

Re: Ear problem
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 09:51:19 PM »

Have you tried warming up the olive oil. I have always used almond oil.
Not too hot but quite warm.

It's a horrible feeling. I have recurrent ear infections and know what it feels like.

Resist the urge to prod it. Are the nurses flushing or sucking it out?

Honeyb
X

Joyce

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 09:14:12 AM »

My grandmother swore by warmed almond oil.

Cassie

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 09:48:08 AM »

Can you get hold of an ear candle, maybe at your local health store or pharmacy. Best remedy is to take 2 cloves of garlic boil them in a drop of water until they are slightly soft, then break them up and  put them in a little bit of olive oil in a jar so the garlic sort of pulls into the oil and then put a few drops in your ear tonight, then tomorrow, the wax will be nice and soft and you can ear candle and it should pull out, works brilliantly as the garlic has drawing and healing properties.

Rowan

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 09:51:03 AM »

Hydrogen peroxide ear drops may help  http://www.newhealthguide.org/Hydrogen-Peroxide-For-Ear.html you can get them on Amazon.

Eventually it may sort itself out, it could suddenly pop, though I would go back to the Doctor if it starts to become painful.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 09:53:37 AM by silverlady »

louisy

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 11:30:37 AM »

Thank you all for your suggestions - I am willing to give anything a go!  The nurse has been trying to flush it out but she thinks we may have to try suction next  :(

littleminnie

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2013, 04:49:00 PM »

I had the same problem a couple of years ago. Put olive oil twice a day (lying on my side for 30 minutes after the oil goes in). Went back, wouldn't budge. Did it again for 3 weeks, went back, had it shringed. It came out straight away. It was huge! It felt wonderful, because it was driving me mad. So persevere, it will come out.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2013, 06:58:44 PM »

It's a common problem at 'our' age  ::) and suction is sometimes the only way to clear it.  Using warmed oil then laying with the affected ear on a warmed towel will allow any debris to drain.  Remember wax if the 'good guy'  ;) ........ stops germs getting into the ear and eustacian tubes.

Mine itch deep down and occasionally one ear suddenly goes 'deaf' until I wriggle madly with my little finger  :(

littleminnie

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2013, 07:14:11 PM »

I was told to lie on the unaffected ear to allow the oil to 'soak in'.
X

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2013, 07:52:45 PM »

Sorry  ::) - missed that bit out ....... I knew what I meant  ;)

louisy

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2013, 02:27:24 PM »

Thanks for all your helpfull suggestions. I went back today after a week of trying sodium bicarb drops and hey presto - success! The weirdest feeling though - can hear every little sound - but oh what joy! !  :)

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2013, 02:43:56 PM »

I have this moment gone completely deaf in one ear ........  :o

I expect when I shake my head it will clear ........

Did you have suction then  :-\ ....... my paternal Grandma swore by sodium bicarb for many things!

louisy

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2013, 04:32:15 PM »

No - the nurse just flushed it out.  Was due to go for suction if it didn't work today.  Hope yours sorts itself out - I would thoroughly recommend the sodium bicarb.