Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: MIGRAINE: Is anybody taking migraine preventative or had nerve block injections?  (Read 5544 times)

Night_Owl

Hi All,

After waiting ages, I finally got my second appointment to see the hospital Neurologist re: migraine and was fortunate enough to have a brain/neck CT scan on the same day.

Big discussion about all kinds of treatments and it's a matter of trial and error (same as with HRT) just seeing what works / doesn't work.  Abortive v preventative treatment or nerve block injections.

As my migraine has got worse and I always get it during and after the progesterone, and at other times - a preventative daily tablet (rather than abortive, ie. Imigran) has been suggested - and I'm going to try this for 3 months.  (Can't remember the name of it, doc is writing to my GP then I get prescription.)

I don't like taking any pills as I always get side effects - however I'm at the stage where I'm *desperate* and need to try and find some control as the migraine (+ meno) is so disabling / fear inducing - the pain horrendous.

To complicate matters, I'm medication sensitive, so if I can't cope with the preventative med (low dose to start with) then I can try nerve-block injections to dampen nerve pain signals, every 3 months.

I know we're all different and what works for one won't work for another, however still find it useful to share experiences.

Is anybody out there on the preventative tablet treatment - if so, how are you doing on it and what strength are you on? 

With thanks for any comments.

Night_Owl
x

[Hot & Spicy - how are you doing these day, hoping your migraines have settled?  The Neurologist confirmed that higher dose Aspirin is proven to have some effect, however most OTC painkillers don't work, as we know.  Prescription Naproxen (with Omeprazole) is highly recommended but I can't tolerate this, have you tried it?]

Limpy

Hi Night Owl

I've had migraines for years.

After many tablets which didn't work I am now taking Gabapentin (300mg 3 times a day)
Been on them 4 weeks and they have really helped. I still get the odd headache but they are easily sorted.
So far no major nasty side effects. Bit of constipation initially but that was easily sorted.
I am sleeping really well, but without the brain fog that came with Amitriptyline.
I am actually feeling pretty good at the moment (apart from horse fly bite mentioned elsewhere)

A minor side effect is my boobs have got bigger, OH quite likes it but it's a pain when clothes don't fit.

I didn't want to take tablets having had many problems with them in the past, but Gabapentin appears to work for me and sort the migraines

Night_Owl

Hi Limpy

Good to hear that the Gabapentin is working for you - that's quite a hefty dose isn't it, 300mg x 3 per day? 

Interesting to read this:

Gabapentin is drug that is usually used to control epileptic seizures and pain. However, research has shown that it eases menopausal flushing symptoms in some women. More research is needed to confirm the place of gabapentin in the treatment of menopause.

Note: strictly speaking, SSRIs, SNRIs, and gabapentin are not licensed for treating menopausal symptoms. However, many doctors are willing to prescribe one of these treatments, with the patient's consent, to see if it works.

Wish I could remember the name of the drug I'm going to trial, will only find out when I get the copy of the Neurologist letter to my GP.  I hope it's not an AD - I've tried ADs in the past and never been able to tolerate them.  In the last day or so since my hospital appt, I've got cold feet about taking on-going meds, but I've got to just try.

Are you on HRT, Limpy?

Night_Owl
x

Limpy

Hi Night Owl

It is a hefty dose, but it was worked up to gradually.
One a day for a few days, then 2 a day for 3 days. then 3 a day............
Apparently it can go even higher than that for pain relief, er no thank you.
I had tried 100mg  some time ago and it did nothing except cause problems. The situation now is I had to do something because I didn't want to get trapped in the Paracetamol Codeine circle.

I have MS and had spoken to my Neurologist years ago (15 ish?) about headaches and pain what to do, he suggested Gabapetin then, it has taken till now for me to try it. I know what you mean about ADs, I think they are supposed to alter the way pain is perceived, but amitriptyline didn't work at all for me. Neither did BBs - Propranolol just made me pass out.

I am on HRT, Evoril Conti, it was pretty good at sorting hot flushes, but  gabapentin has helped with those as well. Mind you I did, have a bit of a headache this morning, though perhaps that was too much wine yesterday.   ;)

It would be interesting to know the name of the drug they have suggested for you. I know what you mean about cold feet and meds, but I HAD to do something to deal with the headaches.

It may be worth giving the drug a try, you can always stop if it doesn't work  (mind you best check how to reduce the dose before you start).   ::)

Night_Owl

Hi Limpy

Having to cope with MS along with meno and migraine must be hard going, you have my sympathies. Good that you can tolerate the Evorel Conti and that the Gabapentin is helping too.

I'll post when I have the name of the drug I've been prescribed - as we know, there's a long list of migraine treatments and so far I've avoided having to work through them to find something that I can tolerate as I tend to react badly, eg. Propranolol made me feel hideous, really awful - so I've sort of managed on taking Aspirin and Imigran (which knocks me out, terrible hangovers etc etc) for years, but migraines seem to be worse now.

I'd never heard of the nerve-block injections (steroid, and lignocaine anaesthetic) to dampen nerve pain signals.  Botox yes but not 'nerve block injections' as such, same principle I guess.  Neurologist said that I could try the injections at some stage - they mainly give them to people who can't tolerate meds, administered every 3-6 months, works in 50% of cases, one injection in either side of the base of the skull into the major nerves, ouch.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1016584/The-agony-migraine-cured-instant--simple-jab-neck.html

I find that after really severe migraines I get very low in spirits / depressed / weepy, it must be the interference with serotonin levels - and it sometimes takes days/weeks to get back to feeling "okay-ish" - I was going to say 'normal' but I don't know what 'normal' is anymore since meno!

Night_Owl
x

Limpy

Hi Night_Owl

The injections look to be really helpful, thanks for posting that link.

Do you think you will try them, or will you wait to see what happens with the latest drug. BTW when do you start it?

Limpy

changesbabe

Hi Night-owl how you doing? Not been on here in ages and not had a catch up with you in ages either.  Sounds like you are getting tested thoroughly with the neurologist which is great.  My stupid gp won't even recommend me a consultation. In fact I have refused to go back to the gp since last Oct when the stupid woman shouted at me for not even considering her flipping AD's.  I asked her to reassure me four times about getting through the meno and she wouldn't.  None of the other gps are any better so I won't be back unless my leg is falling off - which will probably require a course of AD's!!!!

My migraines have changed recently. I saw a nutritionist which cost me a bomb. I went through a massive detox of getting me off pain killers (the detox was helllish by the way and I thought my head was going to explode).  The nutritionist also felt my diet was contributing to my migraines too even though I argued blind that it wasn't.  She got me off caffeine, dairy and wheat - again this was HELL!! And guess what I had a huge period where I had no migraines at all.  I think I managed 6 whole weeks. I have introduced wheat back into my diet as life is no fun without bread and cakes.  I would say my migraines are more manageable- ie two a month max and they usually lift by the end of the day. Today I have a headache but it is really muggy here and I am due my period on Friday so thats prob why. My cycle has gone a wee bit hay as well.  One month I bled twice, been up to three weeks late. Not having so many mid cycle bleeds which I think has got rid of my mid cycle migraines.

its just a bit rubbish isn't it.  My friend was prescribed Gabapentin for nerve pain due to shingles - it took away her migraines too.  She said the process to get onto the drug was dreadful for her.  her gp would only allow her to stay on it a year.  She thoroughly enjoyed her migraine free year though.

Let me know how you get on with the new drug and/or the neck injections.  I really hope you get some relief too - and yes I know that weepy low feeling the day after a migraine its awful isnt it.  Hugs. xxx

Limpy

Hot & Spicy - How was the process to get onto Gabapentin so dreadful for your friend. Was it linked to her GP only letting her stay on it for a year?

changesbabe

Hi limpy my friend took a good month to get on the tablets. She said the side effects were awful.  She couldn't drive or go out the house for a month.  She persevered tho and said she felt great when she was on them. I can't remember why she had to come off after a year. I will ask her again the next time I see her.  The thought of the side effects would scare me - like night owl I am extremely sensitive to medication. 

Alas I spoke too soon as today I have woken up with a stinker of a migraine.  :( xxx

Limpy

Hi Hot&Spicy - hope your migraine clears soon.

I have been really surprised with Gabapentin, it's really helped with the pain.
Normally I either react badly to medication or it doesn't work at all. So far I haven't had any horrendous problems on the tablets. This came as a surprise to my GP who said often people couldn't tolerate the side effects. With luck it will carry on woking

Night_Owl

Hi ladies

Been feeling really rough lately with meno, night sweats etc etc etc.

H&S - assume you've been through thinking about changing GPs and it's not possible/what you want to do, seems unreasonable that you can't get a referral.  Sorry to read that you've recently had another vile migraine, it's disheartening when you think maybe the migs are becoming more manageable, maybe a corner has been turned, them wham, back to square one with a monster one.  Have you tried Feverfew, I've got some in the cupboard, not used it yet, sorry I may have asked you this before.

Just received the follow up letter from the Neurology appt and the preventative medication recommended is Topiramate.  Just researching it online and it's an anticonvulsant (antiepilepsy) drug.  Blimey.  Not sure how I feel about taking that every day, can't imagine that my body will  accept it, being med sensitive.  So, after all that, not sure I want to take it, what am I like.

Limpy, I may have to consider the injections.  How is the Gaba treating you, hope all good?

Haven't had a mig for a few weeks but know the monster is just sleeping for a while.  Next week I have to take a course of progesterone and that's a guaranteed mig.  May have to just stick with taking half of 50mg Imigran, seems to take the edge off it.

I don't know about you girls, but I'm tired with it all, on top of the meno.

Sorry for negativity, just fed up.

Anybody out there on daily Topiramate?

Night_Owl
x

Firewalker50

Hi

Has anyone read or considered using magnesium to help to prevent and control the migraines?

Here is an article by Dr. Carolyn Dean
http://drcarolyndean.com/magnesium_miracle/

You might like to read similar by Dr Marcus Sirus in his book on Transdermal magnesium.

Also, here is a brief article which refers to it in brief.
http://www.drbriffa.com/2012/06/07/magnesium-for-migraine/.   

Some people cannot tolerate forms of magnesium orally.   It very much depends on the type of magnesium.   I personally use the spray and bath soak.

My colleague has had several bad migraines and he had one which was so bad they thought he had either had a stroke or he had a brain tumour - what a frightening time that was.    He started taking magnesium orally and supplements with spray.   He says they are much less frequent and much less severe already.

Just an idea to explore.  It must be horrible.  I only ever had one after an operation.  The headache was horrendous, I lost sight in one eye and numb right down one side and very high temperature.  They had to put a fan on me and use ice to bring it under control.   So I cannot imagine how it must be to have to live with them.

I hope you find a solution.

Fx

He started using

Night_Owl

Hi Firewalker

Thanks for the suggestion - I've been using transdermal BetterYou Magnesium Spray for some time now  and when I have a v.bad mig, I spray it on to the neck knots and massage in - it does seem to help.

I bought the supplement 'Magnesium OK' but it didn't seem to agree with me - felt strange every time I took it, however I'm thinking about trying another brand, Solgar probably.  If anybody wants the 'Magnesium OK' to try, I'll happily send it, please PM me, I've used 11 tablets out of a 90 size pack. 

Lately have just been using half of a 50mg Imigran if I feel a mig coming on, it does tend to immediately stop the neck knots and pain forming, however the downside is that it knocks me out cold, even at the reduced dose, gives the strangest nightmares and thirst.  I've got cold feet about taking the preventative - have a GP appt on Monday to discuss the hospital Neurology letter.

Night_Owl
x

Limpy

Nightowl - sorry for delayed response.

Gabapentin is definitely helping with the migraines, very much reducing frequency and 2 months further on, the sleepiness side effect is not a problem. Topiramate sounds similar to Gaba in that it's an anticonvulsant, I know the list of side effects are scary but they have to list everything, it doesn't mean they will happen to you.

Also re Firewalkers comments on magnesium, that too can help.
I find Magnesium Citrate with Vit B6 is helpful for reducing migraines, but it doesn't totally stop them.

Hope you get some help soon.