Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Hay Fever  (Read 9290 times)

Stellajane

Hay Fever
« on: July 12, 2013, 10:16:59 AM »

Anyone who suffers like me will know its been dreadful this past week.

My usual antihistamine/eyedrops/nasal spray combo wasn't working completely so I started taking Quercetin tablets and have found they are REALLY helpful.  Holland and Barrett do them in a capsule form combined with vitamin C. Well worth a try if you're suffering - its not called "fever" for nothing - can feel like full on flu!

Winterose

Re: Hay Fever
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 10:35:14 AM »

Have a look at Dr John Briffas post on Hay fever, he suggests if you suffer badly  then  come off dairy to see if that works, if it is severe might be worth a try,

Joyce

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 11:19:07 AM »

I'm lucky and only get slightly when pollen is very high. Hubby suffers every year, though not nearly as bad as he once did. He tried everything, including the injections. He now uses a once a day tablet.
However interested to read your post about Quercetin so will look for them next time I'm in town.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 01:00:54 PM »

I have allergic rhinitis which is triggered if my body changes temperature.  I use Beconase nasal spray and swallow anti-histamines as necessary.  Mine begins in my chin, below the lower lip in the dimple area.  itchyness.  Then it spreads into the sides of my mouth and into the back of my nose  >:( and my tongue is constanltly at my upper roof, even in the night!!!!  My eyes itch.  Feel sore.  My ears itch, deeply so that I have to shake my head or wriggle a finger as deeply as possible  :whip:

Cassie

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 02:17:54 PM »

My friend swears by honey, she says that it works a treat, I think its a few spoons a day. Only thing that works for me is Cortisone Nasal Spray, nothing else comes close, I use it seasonally for a few weeks and it really makes a diff. Nothing worse, makes one feel really grotty!

catweazle

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 02:33:53 PM »

Yep the pollen is as high as I've ever known it.  :o
I'm using loratadine which is working well, together with a lloyds pharmacy allergy reliever. It's a red light therapy device with two probes that you stick up your nose for 3 mins, 3-4 times a day. It usually works well on its own but the pollen's so high I've had to resort to the tablets as well.
Will bear in mind the quercetin if the tabs stop working  :)

Catweazle x

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 04:13:35 PM »

Oil seed rape pollen causes my chest to get 'tight'.  Once it's gone over that clears up.  I was absolutely symptom free in the camper van ........  :neutral:  ........ honey works if it is local to the particular pollen which causes symptoms.  Every year I should begin in about Feb. and for 3 years I have forgotten  >:( - when I ate honey on a regular basis 4 years ago I was almost symptom free.

Evenstar

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2013, 08:50:14 PM »

My main problem with hayfever, is it effecting my eyes. They itch and I can't tolerate my contact lenses being in.
    Have you tried going to the Drs to get something stronger that may help. Most of the off the shelf stuff isn't that strong.

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2013, 08:53:48 PM »

Are your contact lenses clean?  Sometimes a bit of dust can cause irritation.  My eyes get dry and itchy right in the middle of the pupil or at the edges ..........

I used the nasal spray last night and have been a lot better!

Evenstar

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2013, 08:48:32 PM »

Have been wearing lenses for years so its not dust. I think its something to do with the fact that my eyes are getting dryer and the hayfever just pushes the problem over the top of my tolerance level.
  Am on different tabs this year for heyfever and everything else has been pretty good. Its just my eyes I can't get sorted.

honeybun

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2013, 10:02:45 PM »

Have you tried the Optrex itchy eye drops. They work a treat for my kids who both have hay fever.

We keep the drops in the fridge and they say they are so soothing.

Honeyb
X

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2013, 11:54:38 AM »

The back of my nose itches like fury this morning and I have an ulcer on the roof of my mouth where I get rubbing my tongue to stop the irritation  >:(

honeybun

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2013, 08:21:59 PM »

We are by the seaside and my sons hay fever has been terrible. Obviously the sea breezes are not working for him.

Being male means he does not cope well. Think of man flu only the hay fever version.

Honeyb
X

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2013, 09:37:58 PM »

My ENT Consultant told me to emigrate to Oz - but when I asked if the NHS would pay I was told a stern 'no'.   ::)  so dry and warm then?  My nose itches like fury this eveningn  :(

Taz2

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2013, 07:06:52 AM »

Read this CLKD - it's a good job the NHS wouldn't pay http://www.bupa.com.au/health-and-wellness/health-information/az-health-information/allergies

Taz x  :lol: